• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Continuation of 7/1 3:56 pm post above...

Finished raising my seats 1".  Fabricating, drilling, and mounting these spacers (1" Al square tube stock) were much harder operations than I had imagined.  For some reason, the addition of the spacers between the seat rail and the sliding rail increased (by 1/2") the distance between the inner and outer sliding rails to the point of their not matching the mounting holes in the floor.  Much additional drilling, filing, and levering were required to anchor the seats.  Real PIA. 

I continue to be amazed at how BMW engineers designed '02 seat rails to be attached to the floor by only 4 small bolts and 4 small captured nuts.  There is no way this flimsy design can keep the seats attached to the floor in a major crash.  

IMG_6194.thumb.jpeg.7cf879a013e7925b9d1aba59afef1570.jpeg

IMG_6195.thumb.jpeg.114ab25259aa28c9f8befb97c4b6c9c5.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

I continue to be amazed at how BMW engineers designed '02 seat rails to be attached to the floor by only 4 small bolts and 4 small captured nuts.  There is no way this flimsy design can keep the seats attached to the floor in a major crash…

While I believe that 50-year-old vehicles, including ‘02’s, are wildly unsafe in comparison to modern vehicles, over my last 50 years of involvement with ‘02’s, I’ve not yet seen a totaled ‘02 — including my own — with a seat ripped from the original floor mounts. Those four bolts per seat might be stronger than you think, given the direction of forces in a crash…

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3138.jpeg

• Like 5

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Everyone, I finally finished my gauge pod rehab project and I’m really happy with the results.
I followed the directions on my2002tii.com:

When I purchased my car 6 years ago, I also purchased a used tachometer (from Steve in NJ, unfortunately I don’t recall his forum name) to replace the non-functional clock currently in the car.  The tachometer had a couple scratches so I decided to cover it with a Paddock tach overlay:

THEPADDOCK.XYZ

These carefully designed stickers are placed over your existing tachometer and give the appearance of ALPINA-style gauges. While ALPINA never made a tachometer for...

I purchased 4 LED bulbs from Super Bright LEDs (194-NWCOB1W) for the actual gauge illumination and went with standard incandescent bulbs for the rest of the lights (brakes, oil, flashers, high beams):

image.thumb.jpeg.5378959d040fc495e7a0c3b3bad269d5.jpeg

Being my car had a clock originally, I needed to replace the clock wire loom with the tachometer wire loom that goes on the back of the cluster & I also needed to replace the clock plastic lens with a clear glass lens (both purchased from 2002AD). 

image.thumb.jpeg.299298d8b172d47f005265a03902baaf.jpeg

My car is a 1975 model, and the required black tachometer wire was already behind the cluster, taped to the incoming wires, which made the job really easy.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bc4e6005ce04406163bdb5407cbc17b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94f158c314f92996f2a13901196ead5b.jpeg

The tachometer functions perfectly!

image.thumb.jpeg.1dad9667cf24a2ad029c78bfde579ebf.jpeg
The gauges are very well lit without being distracting to the driver.  I’m extremely happy with the results!

This was a easy and economical project, for those considering trying it.

Thanks

Frank

• Like 8

1975 BMW 2002 - Sahara

Just back from a terrific 500 km (310 mi.) birthday weekend romp over six swiss mountain passes: Brunig, Susten, Furka, Gotthard, Lucomagne, and Oberalp.  The FunMobile performed flawlessly, and especially today over the Lucomagne and Oberalp passes I had the road virtually to myself, so very little braking!🤪

Over the Brunig Pass to Giessbach Falls overnight.  Then the Susten, Furka, and Gotthard passes down to Ponte Brolla in Ticino.  Today up the Lucomagne Pass and over to the Oberalp pass and down to Altdorf and home in Zug.

Great food, wine, driving, and friends for the weekend!

Giessbach_Ticino.jpg

Giessbach_Ticino_curves.jpg

Giessbach Falls 1.jpg

Giessbach Falls 2.jpg

Oberalp Pass 1.jpg

Oberalp Pass 3.jpg

Oberalp Pass 5.jpg

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
added content
  • Like 23

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

I’ve not yet seen a totaled ‘02 — including my own — with a seat ripped from the original floor mounts. Those four bolts per seat might be stronger than you think,

I've parted a number of totaled cars and have never seen or heard of a seat detatching, It may have something to do with having the seatbelts mounted to the car not the seats, just a guess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Installed new dizzy cap and rotor, plugs (BP6ES, not r), Kingsborne plug wires. 

drove it around some and finally got it up to 75mph. Felt great at that speed! New shocks and springs (Bilstein b8, H&R/IE stage 2) really feet tight.  My version of an Italian tune up lol. 

Determined the rear end noise I get is in fact the exhaust. I can replicate it with my hands. Muffler hitting fuel tank and spare tire well. Too much play, even with new rubber hangers. 

Fuel gauge stopped working-reads empty. Already did second ground on back of cluster, which got it to work in the first place.

Turn signals worked today, first time. lol. 

more work to do…

• Like 3

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

3 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

Installed new dizzy cap and rotor, plugs (BP6ES, not r), Kingsborne plug wires. 

drove it around some and finally got it up to 75mph. Felt great at that speed! New shocks and springs (Bilstein b8, H&R/IE stage 2) really feet tight.  My version of an Italian tune up lol. 

Determined the rear end noise I get is in fact the exhaust. I can replicate it with my hands. Muffler hitting fuel tank and spare tire well. Too much play, even with new rubber hangers. 

Fuel gauge stopped working-reads empty. Already did second ground on back of cluster, which got it to work in the first place.

Turn signals worked today, first time. lol. 

more work to do…

Check & clean all your other grounds.  I finally got my temp gauge to read correctly after doing so;

The big wire, middle trunk floor

Grounds in the tail lights

Ground from negative battery strap to body

Ground behind the voltage regulator (this was loose on mine)

Ground at the alternator to timing chain cover.

Not to mention your connections to the fuel sender...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

Muffler hitting fuel tank and spare tire well. Too much play, even with new rubber hangers. 

Did you replace the plastic spacers with the new rubber?

18214490157__21281.1418152029.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Fuel gauge stopped working-reads empty.

When the fuel gauge has a bad ground, it reads empty (about 80 Ohms).

Clean the brown ground wire and connector on the sender and add an extra ground wire to the trunk for good measure.

This solved the bouncing fuel gauge on my car, especially when using the right turn signal, after checking every ground I could find!

• Like 2

Cleaned these up today. I think I'll run them for a while and give the 15's a break. 13x 5.5- I bought them here from a faq member about a year or so ago. I don't know much about them. I simply like the way they look. Keeping them clean will be a PITA but so what, a lot of things on these cars are a PITA.  😎

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

• Like 6

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

On 7/2/2023 at 11:46 PM, 2002#3 said:

Continuation of 7/1 3:56 pm post above...

Finished raising my seats 1".  Fabricating, drilling, and mounting these spacers (1" Al square tube stock) were much harder operations than I had imagined.  For some reason, the addition of the spacers between the seat rail and the sliding rail increased (by 1/2") the distance between the inner and outer sliding rails to the point of their not matching the mounting holes in the floor.  Much additional drilling, filing, and levering were required to anchor the seats.  Real PIA. 

I continue to be amazed at how BMW engineers designed '02 seat rails to be attached to the floor by only 4 small bolts and 4 small captured nuts.  There is no way this flimsy design can keep the seats attached to the floor in a major crash.  

IMG_6194.thumb.jpeg.7cf879a013e7925b9d1aba59afef1570.jpeg

IMG_6195.thumb.jpeg.114ab25259aa28c9f8befb97c4b6c9c5.jpeg

Having survived a front passenger side collision at 40mph in my first 2002 with only a broken shoulder and broken steering wheel (broke off the column from me hitting it) I'm a firm believer in how solid these cars are designed and built.  My seat did not move off the rails at all nor did the rails come off the floor.

• Like 1

Not just today, but for the past 9 days.  I recently posted that our beloved 1600 "Stuart "broke down" and needed a tow back home.  It would not idle and died in several intersections before Amy called no joy and demanded we pull over.  It turned out to be a chunk of crud (technical term) in the idle jet of the original Solex carb.  Once cleaned, it ran as before.  

But in the pause before discovering the carb jet obstruction, I managed to do a few things.  First, I checked the fuel tank.  I was expecting a rusty mess.  But it looked pretty good.  Not perfect, but I am quite happy with what presented.  

20230703-fueltank.thumb.jpg.776972b03de023e9a9c5d125b68665b4.jpg

The screen on the sender was intact and in place.  It looked great, too.  

20230703cleanscreen.thumb.jpg.1b23084fe2132524ea223d7aa64c314c.jpg

I used this event as an excuse to replace fuel lines in the engine compartment.  I've wanted to do this since day one - glad there is new (fabric braided) rubber up there now.  

But the big purchase is a 123 ignition.  I have this in my coupe and it helped a little.  But for the 1600, it was a complete transformation.  The car runs better than it has since we've had it.  An amazing transformation!!!

20230704-123ignition.thumb.jpg.428d843397df37bdcb7fe3a6d6d026d4.jpg

In the past week, it seems for every one thing I fixed, two more broke!  Preparation for an event drive puts a certain pressure or scrutiny on car readiness.  Although the charging system was working well previously, I discovered it was charging over 16 volts a few days ago.  The solution was nothing more than replacing a ground wire and cleaning the wiring contacts to the regulator.  None the less, I've been collecting spare parts to have with me for this trip and added a beautiful spare regulator. 

20230703-spareregulator.thumb.jpg.f34be9d8cf43d21ed1e55c754a945a48.jpg

I've put a bunch of miles on the car over the past few days checking things over in advance of our trip to The Gilmore Museum event in Michigan this weekend.  Stuart is running great.  Looking forward to posting photos from the trip!

Edited by autokunst
  • Like 7

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"