• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

10 hours ago, Markster said:

Bad valve guides?

All eight guides were replaced and the late-style valve seals installed. The machinist also replaced two intake valves and three exhaust valves. Leak-down test showed air leaking into the crankcase only. Intake and exhaust valves sealed tight, which leads me to believe it's the rings and/or pistons. However...it could indeed be bad valve guides (especially the exhaust side) based on the high carbon deposits on the piston tops under the exhaust valves. 

The fun is just beginning! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, its55 said:

That engine looks much too beautiful to have an issue!

Thanks ... but "Beauty is only skin deep".  🤓

Knowing that everything inside is working the best it can, is what makes it purrrdy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John76 said:

Problem is the original engine w/ 143K miles is gulping oil. 1 quart every 120 miles!

I had this same issue with my 1975.  Used 10 quarts of oil driving picking up my daughter at UCSC and back to San Diego.  Got home, pulled the head, replaced valve guides, seats and seals, and installed a new cam.  After reassembly, oil consumption was normal.  My piston tops were way worse than yours.  Hope you get it back on the road soon.

Mark92131

IMG_0078.jpg

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Added some seat padding and fabricated four 1" rail spacers .  Waiting for the last coat of black paint on the spacers to dry.  Will Install in a couple of days.  The color of the padding was important, as is the color of all unseen '02 parts.  Right?  Big Bob's Carpet did not have padding in fuchsia, heather, taupe, chartreuse, or moonglow, so I had to settle for a contemporary chimera...of sorts,

IMG_2658.thumb.JPG.d64fc045631fc758537c91a61ddb2450.JPG

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.dff8cc8265ab213a369f35dfa33fa9f8.jpeg

IMG_6190.thumb.jpeg.fa7e43cfa4a8eb9804a94100a358148f.jpeg

IMG_6191.thumb.jpeg.3ff7df8607522c6ff0372b27fc00704c.jpeg

Edited by 2002#3
  • Haha 1

Todays session, first section of chassis black, seam sealed the next section, then welded up a remote battery tray. I was going to wash the oil rags, but set them on fire with the welder instead.  Off to the store to buy a new fire extinguisher. 🔥

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

This heat in Texas accelerated my AC install. 

IMG20230701172622.jpg

IMG20230701172726.jpg

IMG20230701172716.jpg

Hope you didn’t have to do that install in an un-A/C’d garage in the blast furnace that was Texas in June.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

2 hours ago, 0257 said:

Hope you didn’t have to do that install in an un-A/C’d garage in the blast furnace that was Texas in June.

I have a portable AC that keeps things at like 82 degrees. Its okay. Anyways charged the system this morning, no problems, AC is blowing cold!

image.jpeg

• Like 5

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

7 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Which chassis black did you use?

I’ve used Eastwood products on the last few projects. Rust Converter, then gray Rust Encapsulater primer (grey so I can see that the black has full coverage), then Extreme Chassis Black (satin). I like the look and the paint is high in epoxy, so it sticks and stays. Looked really good on the full frame TR4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shiparino said:

I’ve used Eastwood products on the last few projects. Rust Converter, then gray Rust Encapsulater primer (grey so I can see that the black has full coverage), then Extreme Chassis Black (satin). I like the look and the paint is high in epoxy, so it sticks and stays. Looked really good on the full frame TR4.

I've had good luck with the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black, too.  I understand it has a high solids content.

• Like 1

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

Kept plugging away at getting my temp gauge reading correctly.  I knew its been off as I checked the hose temps w/ my infrared.  Was reading right at the red marker earlier yesterday.  Went through all the grounds again yesterday and replaced the temp sensor.  Something fixed it, as today all is well.  The pic shows its highest reading during a couple of 90 degree weather drives today.

IMG_2980.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1