• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Soft or broken motor mounts can allow the engine to rock enough so the cap hits the firewall and comes off, your problem my be the soft clips on your 123 distributor they seems to be a problem.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

This morning I replaced the rear kick panel speakers after one fried.  Also cleaned up my old 4 speed for sale.

Car still runs like a champ, took a 175 mile round trip last week, it just eats up the miles.

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

• Like 1

Chamonix ‘73

314854C2-0515-4451-97A6-4478680C62F0.jpeg

I’ve decided it’s been too long. The project is moving so slowly. I’m not willing to wait several more yrs to drive the car (Paint and bodywork will likely take me that long). I’ve been cutting, grinding, welding on this car for over 4yrs now. 

So, I’ve been steadily assembling the car. Over the last few evenings in the shop I’ve managed to install/wire tail lamp assemblies, US flat turns, headlights, turn/high beam stalks, and a now fully functional instrument cluster. I put a rough tune on the engine the other night. It idles ok warm, but still needs some help cold so I’ll get back to that next week. Still lots to do before I’d even feel comfortable putting it on the road with other cars around, but I’m getting there. It drove 100’ on Tuesday (backed out of the shop, made a circle and and back in nose first). This car WILL make it to a Cars n Coffee this summer. ?

C1E95675-E2D0-48DB-B2EB-61772F513E20.jpeg

9A80D3E3-AAB5-43C8-B971-AB6D12ACBBA3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Got my newly rebuilt brake booster installed over the past few days. Took a few tries to get it right -- the brakes weren't bleeding properly and i diagnosed it as a too-long booster push rod. I took it all apart again, took some measurements, assembled it up on the bench and it seemed to work fine! I'm thinking it was some debris or grease in the master cylinder cup that the booster pushrod fits into. Back on the road now after a test drive yesterday. All things going well enough that we should be able to make it to the bay area 2002 neue klasse + kaffee tomorrow; fingers crossed since it'd be the longest drive yet!

Edited by eviction_party
  • Like 4

Went for a "tune-up" drive. Car started on first crank (after filling float bowl until the accel pump squirted)....but then stalled at every stop sign! GRRRRR, thought I caught the "Black Swan Virus" from reading Mike Self's posts.

Didn't behave like a bad coil or broken wire. Would run at  >1800rpm, but would not idle.

Trusty screw driver removed the idle jet, and low and behold, a ball of fuzz was lodged in the jet. How it got there is a mystery, since tank was totally cleaned and sealed, all new fuel lines, filter, fuel pump, a clean carb and fresh(ish) gas. 

A fly in the float bowl ?  

What do you guys think??

Clogged Idle Jet 2.jpg

PS: Fuzz was not from my glove....engine was hot!

• Sad 2

Tried a new setting for the timing.

25 degree BB at 2400rpm, which resulted in 8 degrees at idle (no vacuum advance)

Idles rock solid at 900rpm, and getting a good manifold vacuum reading.

Ready for a 200-mile drive tomorrow. Will take tools "just-in-case"....

Idle Advance.jpg

• Like 2

KUDOS to JsnPpp ......  I re-installed my original cold start relay !!

1. A while back I bought one of JsnPpp's cold start relays, just because it's good to have a spare.
  2. THEN, last year, my original quit working and I installed JsnPpp's.
  3. JsnPpp decided to refurb my original so I sent it to him.
  4. He checked it all out and returned it to me.
  5. I installed it ...... it didn't work so I sent it back to him.
  6. A few days ago he discovered that one of the components wasn't quite "in spec" so he refurb'ed "everything" and sent it back to me.
  7. I received it this morning and installed it:   It Works Just Like New !!!!!

the tii cold start system: Control Relay - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW  2002 FAQ

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 4

Today I continued the process of disassembly of my '71 project while continuing to make notes and lists of things I'll need to replace.  Figured out a local source for dry ice so I can remove the factory sound proofing material and cleanup the interior before a rust-check and respray.  It'll be hidden under new soundproofing and of course the carpet, but in my head I'll know it's clean and done right!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Filter material?

Looks more like a pot-scrubber.

Can't imagine where that came from.

Filter material is paper and does not have coarse fibers.....unless they are on the inside surface??

Fuel filter.jpg