• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

24 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

created a CAD drawing in LibreCAD (free download)

Fusion 360 is another decent free choice that sendcutsend seems to like. You have to 'build' the part one flat piece at a time to add the bends and then it automatically flattens it. Saving to DXF in the Personal Use version is not obvious, but it's there in the flattened view.

sendcutsend is awesome!

Nice work!

I'm not looking forward to the headliner later this year, so I'll be right behind you. I think I might be dreading the door seals more.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

44 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

I keep looking for projects that help me procrastinate on starting the interior re-install, (headliner, carpet, glass, etc.).  So I wasn't happy with the throttle cable bracket I fabricated for the S14 ITB's.  It originally was secured by the 2 top bolts on the brake booster bracket, but performance suffered from a long cable and slight mis-alignment.  So I decided to make another one.  I found a picture on-line of one bracket that is no longer in production, but offered a better mounting solution.  The massive adapters for air horns on the S14 use the 6 stock studs for the air cleaner assembly.  I planned to use the 3 on the #3 & #4 ITB bank to secure my new bracket.

I mocked up the bracket in cardboard, took measurements off the cardboard piece and created a CAD drawing in LibreCAD (free download).  It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to add a bend line to the CAD drawing, so I could get the tab holding the cable to sit at the right angle.  I didn't have a protractor handy, so I printed one off the internet and cut it out, so I could come up with the correct angle for the tab, (approx. 30 degrees).

When I was happy with the CAD drawing, I saved the DXF file and uploaded it to SendCutSend.  What a cool site!  It created a 3D image from my 2D drawing.  I selected 1.9mm thick mild steel for the material and used the bending service.  I used the site software tool to bend the top of the piece from the bend line up 30 degrees, and that bend was reflected in the 3D rendering.  Dropped it in the cart and checked out, $30 on Paypal.  Should be here by Saturday!

Mark92131

Excited to see the finished product!  Let me know if you ever need drafting done, we've got all of the CAD software at the office.  

• Like 2

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Started mounting up my turbo spoiler today. I put two 5mm nutserts, one on each end centered in the arc. Not really sure but I think I’ll make a few aluminum tabs to almost “French cleat” it along the leading edge. When it goes on after paint I’ll use a panel bond/sealer to seal the flange. 

IMG_0544.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

• Like 11

A cheap and cheerful refinish of some tired old E21 turbines:IMG_20240425_151058.thumb.jpg.7fe619aa75d17d34fb6daf79b4647a39.jpgIMG_20240425_170439.thumb.jpg.9494db1e9ad5a8a08db696172143b1f1.jpg

An old can of bog turned out to be EXACTLY the right size to mask off the inner section!

IMG_20240507_170909.thumb.jpg.c16f45e4394c6273d9d03594be305135.jpg

New rubber, and we're one step closer to getting the old girl back on the road.

• Like 13

19 hours ago, visionaut said:

Micro-LED front running light mod

Please send a link, thanks.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, beammmer said:

Please send a link, thanks.

Don

Don, they’re mini motorcycle turn signals made by TECTEK. They’re the smallest ones I could find (less than 1/2”).  Super bright CREE LED with a really focused directional throw pattern.  I got ‘em on Amazon but they’re also found at many bike shops.

I’d been running some early LEDs I scavenged from a pair of window washer nozzles in that location for a long time, but since I did a recent full exterior LED lighting update I wanted something much brighter in the running light to match. Now as you move from the side towards the front of the car, my running lights really pop, providing great dusk/daylight visibility more than a block away.

It a cheap mod for flat-lens front signal lamps for those w/o running lights in the headlamps.

Tom

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb91e92718123cab9bf14b9e442ce3b.jpeg

Edited by visionaut
Tektec, Tectek, whatever
  • Like 6

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

On 5/6/2024 at 7:35 PM, sczapiga said:

Started mounting up my turbo spoiler today. I put two 5mm nutserts, one on each end centered in the arc. Not really sure but I think I’ll make a few aluminum tabs to almost “French cleat” it along the leading edge. When it goes on after paint I’ll use a panel bond/sealer to seal the flange. 

IMG_0544.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

Made the little cleats for the underside of the leading edge yesterday. It’s amazing how much time can get eaten up trying to mount a spoiler that wasn’t designed with mounting in mind🤷 The upside is that it didn’t fly off at 80mph today going over the bay:) 

IMG_0549.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, visionaut said:

Don, they’re mini motorcycle turn signals made by TECTEK. They’re the smallest ones I could find (less than 1/2”).  Super bright CREE LED with a really focused directional throw pattern.  I got ‘em on Amazon but they’re also found at many bike shops.

I’d been running some early LEDs I scavenged from a pair of window washer nozzles in that location for a long time, but since I did a recent full exterior LED lighting update I wanted something much brighter in the running light to match. Now as you move from the side towards the front of the car, my running lights really pop, providing great dusk/daylight visibility more than a block away.

It a cheap mod for flat-lens front signal lamps for those w/o running lights in the headlamps.

Tom

image.thumb.jpeg.5fb91e92718123cab9bf14b9e442ce3b.jpeg

Those look great, I’ll think I’ll have to do that too👍🏼

• Thanks 1

After many hours of wet-sanding, finally got to the cut/polish step, stage 1.  3M compound and wool pad.

compounded2.thumb.jpg.7f53875f6013b9523ea4a3c7ba436d24.jpg

I see many hours of hand-compounding the smaller areas... got to be an obsessive love thing....

• Like 16

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Vintage prep. Changed out the spark plugs, will do oil Friday. Smoke tested the gas tank and thought I found a leak by the filler gasket and redid the gasket.  Damn thing still smells. 

I also installed  my 123 distributor pretty good results so far. Need to add a custom tune and hoping to be good.

A couple of chemo brain moments with the spark plug wires.   Who thought four wires would be so hard.

Oil change and nut and bolt checks we should be good.  

• Like 5

Since it's a long holiday weekend over here in Belgium, I was able to make a new die to form the differential brackets. I must say, I'm very proud on how well the plates turned out. the reinforcement ribs are very crisp.

Using the smaller 5 axis mill at work, I milled two forming plates that locate the plates and form them.

It's been over two years since I used the machine as I have not much time to also mill at work. 

In the end I was able to remember most of the stuff luckily

spacer.png

Shared bracket for sedan and touring

spacer.png

spacer.png

Touring specific bracket

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a little comparison between new and old

spacer.png

I'm going to make the full panel for the sedan and touring - which should be available from Walloth & Nesch in the near future.

Let me know if you also are interested in just the brackets, that way I can always make some more separately!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1