• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

This weekend I started on making the new panels for the rear left subframe mounting point.

I first sandblasted the reinforcement panel as well as the outer wheel well section we removed.

A small corner was pitted quite a bit so it got repaired by welding in a small corner.

51319677485_59fcec93cb_b.jpg

Still need to trim the edges to their final size

51317932292_5b2661db68_b.jpg

With the help of some box tubing to get the radius of the bend the same as the original, I remade the rear plate that closes in the subframe mounting point.

51318671161_49268480b3_b.jpg

As well as the inner well got a new small panel

51319392944_d574a6a8cc_b.jpg

Still some trimming needed to do but it's pretty close

51319676640_0cf3078dde_b.jpg

And test fit with the new/repaired panels, happy with how it turned out.

51318669451_f7f6b2a0ca_b.jpg

• Like 13

On 7/16/2021 at 4:46 AM, VWJake said:

Chamonix ‘73

314854C2-0515-4451-97A6-4478680C62F0.jpeg

I’ve decided it’s been too long. The project is moving so slowly. I’m not willing to wait several more yrs to drive the car (Paint and bodywork will likely take me that long). I’ve been cutting, grinding, welding on this car for over 4yrs now. 

So, I’ve been steadily assembling the car. Over the last few evenings in the shop I’ve managed to install/wire tail lamp assemblies, US flat turns, headlights, turn/high beam stalks, and a now fully functional instrument cluster. I put a rough tune on the engine the other night. It idles ok warm, but still needs some help cold so I’ll get back to that next week. Still lots to do before I’d even feel comfortable putting it on the road with other cars around, but I’m getting there. It drove 100’ on Tuesday (backed out of the shop, made a circle and and back in nose first). This car WILL make it to a Cars n Coffee this summer. ?

C1E95675-E2D0-48DB-B2EB-61772F513E20.jpeg

9A80D3E3-AAB5-43C8-B971-AB6D12ACBBA3.jpeg

Dude.  You've got to roll it with the Cleco's.  Full on Pin Head.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Chamonix ‘73

Finally removed the damaged headliner. Found the source of the foul smell over the winter. The shop vac made quick work of the deceased and all of its nesting material. 

I took the turn signal stalk housing apart to clean it out and re-tension the wipers. I was rewarded with fully functional turn signals now.

I was brain dead for about an hour tonight trying to get the hood lift system installed correctly. When I bought the car the hood refused to rest in the closed position. I took the torsion system out years ago because that annoyed me. Well it took me long enough tonight to figure out what the last shop did wrong. Anyway… now I have a hood that lifts easily and stays open. Yet also closes easily and rests as it should. Thurs I’ll adjust the hood bumpers/stops/etc.

I cleaned up/beat on some of the rear bumper parts I have to make something that will suffice for now. It’s on the car, but still needs the side mounts installed.

I’m elated at the idea of driving this car even just a few times before I tear it back down for paint. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 7502 said:

That's good progress, any recent pictures?

He just did!  As Tony would say,"They're great!"  Just a couple posts up I quoted him; the pictures are there.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

We still needed to remove the metal bushing for the subframe mount from the rear floor section which we cut out of the car. I went to my work to use the lathe and first tried to clean up the old one but the welds are very hard. So I just opted to make a new one, 2 hours later and voila!

51327608978_60e0230a34_b.jpg

With a flat face drill, I made the bottom shoulder where the long bolt sits against.

51326673412_37bd0aa0fd_b.jpg

Looks a lot better!

51327406526_e2d495fabb_b.jpg

And the bolt pressed in

51328397115_b76d6641f5_b.jpg 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LindrelT said:

Doing my fronts to match my Frankenhaar rear seat project….  Fronts are new gummihaar from WN made by ‘Johnson Controls’.  Nice to have new padding and get rid of the crunch!

38FEB725-50E7-4183-A857-4186A7BD27BD.jpeg

C9CD605B-74C3-4BCC-B96A-82E2C8A9A83D.jpeg

Seats look great! Did you repaint the hinges? how did you match the texture?

1 hour ago, D.martijn said:

Seats look great! Did you repaint the hinges? how did you match the texture?

They came to me already with 'splatter' texture of varying sizes.  I put a new black coat over them after freeing the stuck recline gear and cleaning up the moving parts.   Sometime I would like to get the more correct chrome ones on my '71 - more bling!  Didn't just have these plated because of the extended downtime while they are off at the shop.  

21 hours ago, LindrelT said:

… Fronts are new gummihaar from WN made by ‘Johnson Controls’…

And gummihaar pads from BMW are also made by Johnson Controls, so they might be identical. Or is W&N simply offering BMW OEM parts here? Below, the Johnson Controls sticker from my ‘73’s new BMW pads in 2015. Perhaps not coincidentally, Johnson Controls purchased Naue at some point in time, Naue having been the supplier of the original gummihaar pads on my ‘73 — second photo below, also showing those pads’ May 1972 date (“MAI 1972”).

Your seats look fabulous, by the way!

Best regards,

Steve

1E1F210F-776B-4530-BAD0-83506E3BCC5D.jpeg

7A9E0536-C03F-43F6-9137-241244DCAE73.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)