• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

@cdbeemin

My tii has 120k original miles on the clock.  Cold my compression #s are 130-135-135-140, while hot the values increase to 175-175-170-175.  

If your #s are taken while cold you are doing well, IMHO.

+1 my values above were cold too.

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

Cap coming off on a hard pull is usually caused by a bad engine mount.

Good point, Marty.

On a 123 distributor it is usually caused by weak clips not holding the cap securely.  The metal is not strong spring steel, like on the Bosch units.  They are easily bent and need to be reshaped to get a grip.  I've seen where people have run a zip-tie around the top of the clips to keep them in place, which seems like a good idea.

Another thing to be aware of is that their rotor is not the standard style used in the Bosch models.  They machined a step on the center post that is smaller and it requires that you use one of their rotors.  The larger ones can wiggle loose and hit the cap, possibly knocking it off, or just chewing it up.

There was a discussion on those rotors which suggested that the earliest style 2002 Bosch used one that will work.  The old cast iron distributors have a stepped center post as well.

Here is that discussion--

Tom

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Good point, Marty.

On a 123 distributor it is usually caused by weak clips not holding the cap securely.  The metal is not strong spring steel, like on the Bosch units.  They are easily bent and need to be reshaped to get a grip.  I've seen where people have run a zip-tie around the top of the clips to keep them in place, which seems like a good idea.

Another thing to be aware of is that their rotor is not the standard style used in the Bosch models.  They machined a step on the center post that is smaller and it requires that you use one of their rotors.  The larger ones can wiggle loose and hit the cap, possibly knocking it off, or just chewing it up.

There was a discussion on those rotors which suggested that the earliest style 2002 Bosch used one that will work.  The old cast iron distributors have a stepped center post as well.

Here is that discussion--

Tom

Thanks all,

I poured through all the 123 Dizzy threads and ruled out engine mounts, while making sure to order the new cap and rotor directly from 123.  The residue in the cap, in addition to my intermittent smoke on decel, blow-by in the catch can, and weeping valve cover cap makes me think I'm dealing with increased crankcase pressure due to bad rings or valve guides/seals.

Engine was rebuilt 8k miles ago, valve cover is vented to a catch can, which connects to the air filter on my 38/38

The clips probably did fail, it's the cap residue that worries me.  I'll know more once I run compression/leak down test

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Some people get puddles of oil coming up into their 123 distributors.  They did not cut a spiral groove in the shaft the way Bosch did, to keep the oil from coming up.  They just added a little O-ring, which doesn't always work.  They do blame excessive pressure, but I don't believe that is the root cause.  It is a design flaw, or short cut, in my humble opinion.

Tom

one of the groovy shaft discussions --

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Some people get puddles of oil coming up into their 123 distributors.  They did not cut a spiral groove in the shaft the way Bosch did, to keep the oil from coming up.  They just added a little O-ring, which doesn't always work.  They do blame excessive pressure, but I don't believe that is the root cause.  It is a design flaw, or short cut, in my humble opinion.

Tom

one of the groovy shaft discussions --

Be that as it may, too much pressure may also overcome the bosch dizzies. As was my case, even with the groove it still pushed up into the upper housing. Pretty sure it’s a compression ring thing. That was my takeaway after all the discussion.

'74 Verona

24 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

It would have been interesting to see if you had the same problem with a different Bosch distributor.

How is the chopped top e21 distributor project coming along?

Tom

Finished that a while ago. Haven’t installed it yet because ive just been driving and dialing in little things. When I install it ill let ya know!

7B2BE5FB-42A0-4958-AA89-13EC4B571431.jpeg

• Thanks 1

'74 Verona

Cleaned up the rust on my pedal box to see how bad it really is. Will be trying to do some welding on this in the next week or two. Assuming it can be repaired adequately, it will then be off for powder coating. 

IMG_9619.jpeg

IMG_9624.jpeg

• Like 1

@ Son of Marty

Never heard of a cap and rotor problem caused by a motor mount issue 

Can you expand on this ?

Knowing this car , the driver side of the subframe is good and the mounts are relatively new  Of course a motor mount can come apart at any time   This is a 150 hp built motor and runs strong BTW