• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone

Seth Horwitz

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone need it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. I've seen a few happy customers, but others have overheating or lost power. So ...

• Love my AC!
    • Hate it / Ripped it Out / Wouldn't Add it for Free

I’m back in the Northeast, so I don’t drive the ‘76 from November through March on account of salted roads. If I also crossed out the hot humid months of July, August, and September, I’d only be able to drive the car four months of the year.

Lots of owners tear out their A/C units. Most of them have never had those units operating for one day, and many more have never had their A/C operating fully and correctly.

The A/C removers I’d want to speak with, if I were you, are those that lived with ‘02 A/C, which operated fully and correctly for at least a couple years, and then decided to remove it!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

AC is a basic human right in the tropics. Not only to lower the temp, but mostly to pull the humidity down. Most important when it rains...a car without AC is undrivable because of condensation.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

23 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m back in the Northeast, so I don’t drive the ‘76 from November through March on account of salted roads. If I also crossed out the hot humid months of July, August, and September, I’d only be able to drive the car four months of the year.

I'm in the same boat (in NYC, today, but heading out of the city to get a house mostly for more parking), and that's the rub. I'd only take the car out if it's nice, but ruling out "too nice" would be a waste. I have other things to drive, but why buy a toy you can't use? I'm looking at two cars, and buying something which doesn't, or won't, have AC seems like a non-starter. 

My '73 had air (Frigiking) when I bought it in 1978--when it was my wife's daily driver she used it a lot.  Now that it's mine, I rarely do, but it's nice to have when I need it.  I installed a 3 row core radiator in 1987 and that solved the running-hot-with-the-A/C-on problem, but I still don't use it very much.  Converting from the original York piston compressor to a rotary made a huge difference in compressor drag.  I've not converted to R134 because I lucked into a partly filled R12 canister at a garage sale some years ago, so will use that up first.  

My '69 never has had air, and I wouldn't add it now...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

We had a 1973 2002 as our only car for 34 years.  Had A/C.  In NC, even when functioning well, it did not cool the car sufficiently.  Always too much trouble to maintain in my opinion.  Now 1974 2002tii in Ohio.  Had AC.  Removed it.  Do not miss it.  One less thing to maintain...at least in this car.  Admittedly, our other 3 BMW's have deep freeze ice boxes to turn on when we need help in hot climes.

• Like 1

I removed mine. I'm in the NYC area and only drive during the nice weather, meaning Spring through Fall. I don't like the look of the added on dealership items and even think the console is unnecessary. That's gone too. I've kept all the parts however. They're in the garage.

I have another collector sports car that I've driven for years without AC. Open the windows, open the sunroof, open the rear windows, turn on the radio and go. It's never been a problem for me.

If I lived another 500 miles south of here, I'd change my tune. But I don't, so no AC for me.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I am putting my AC in.  I am in the NW, and believe it or not there are months that you absolutely need A/C.  My EFI system will accommodate A/C nicely including shutting off the compressor at full throttle to give you the extra performance boost and maintaining idle when the compressor cycles.  

I can't imagine trying to have to deal with whatever is involved with a carb'd system nor understand what is required to maintain it. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

The tii has Behr A/C and the original York compressor.  Believe it's only been used 5 or 6 times over the last 13 years of my ownership.  During one long trip in late May, I used it and noticed the temperature gauge climbed close to the red zone.  Car uses R12 and has a 2 row radiator.

I do have a Hobie Dave bracket and newer rotary compressor, but I'm fearful of starting down another path of expensive projects.  All the hoses are old and stiff.

I weighed the stock mounting bracket with York compressor and idler pulley removed from my 72tii engine: 30 lbs.  That's a lot of weight hanging off the front of the engine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location global climate change location location location location location location location location location location manopause location location location location location location location location location location location location location global climate change location location location location location location location location location location age location location location location location traffic location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location humidity location location location location location location location location location location location genetics location location location local climate change location location location location location location location location location location location location location location latitude location location location location location location location location location location altitude location location location location location menopause location location location location location location location location location location tolerance location location location location location location manliness location location location location location location location location aesthetics location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location womanliness location location location location location location location location location location location location location location 

locomotion 

and my brother works as an a/c tech.

There are a lot of factors that go into this, methinks.

t

likes spam with pineapple

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, mike said:

My '73 had air (Frigiking) when I bought it in 1978--when it was my wife's daily driver she used it a lot.  Now that it's mine, I rarely do, but it's nice to have when I need it.  I installed a 3 row core radiator in 1987 and that solved the running-hot-with-the-A/C-on problem, but I still don't use it very much.  Converting from the original York piston compressor to a rotary made a huge difference in compressor drag.  I've not converted to R134 because I lucked into a partly filled R12 canister at a garage sale some years ago, so will use that up first.  

My '69 never has had air, and I wouldn't add it now...

mike

Mike,

Do you recall what rotary compressor you are using and anything else that you changed assuming I stick with R12?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location global climate change location location location location location location location location location location manopause location location location location location location location location location location location location location global climate change location location location location location location location location location location age location location location location location traffic location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location humidity location location location location location location location location location location location genetics location location location local climate change location location location location location location location location location location location location location location latitude location location location location location location location location location location altitude location location location location location menopause location location location location location location location location location location tolerance location location location location location location manliness location location location location location location location location aesthetics location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location location womanliness location location location location location location location location location location location location location location 

locomotion 

and my brother works as an a/c tech.

There are a lot of factors that go into this, methinks.

t

likes spam with pineapple

Not to mention location.

• Like 1