• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone

Seth Horwitz

Does anyone have AC and regret it? Anyone rip it out? Anyone need it?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. I've seen a few happy customers, but others have overheating or lost power. So ...

• Love my AC!
    • Hate it / Ripped it Out / Wouldn't Add it for Free

2 hours ago, tme said:

Mike,

Do you recall what rotary compressor you are using and anything else that you changed assuming I stick with R12?

Thanks 

I believe the majority of us use Sanden, or Sanden knock-off, rotary compressors on Hobie-Dave compressor brackets. If your A/C has not been refreshed in recent decades, a new expansion valve and a new drier are probably in order. I still run R12 in the ‘76’s Clardy system. We did a complete re-fresh in 2012. The evaporator/blower is original, as is my Clardy condenser. But, given that the system was open, and apart, in addition to the compressor, compressor bracket, expansion valve, and drier, we replaced the hoses. Did we need to? Perhaps not, but they were 36 years old, so....

I have even been using the ‘76’s original Clardy auxiliary fan, until now! I’ll be frank, it’s a cheap homemade device that Clardy provided. It draws so many amps to move so little air, however, that I am considering a modern Spal fan to replace it.

Below, original Clardy condenser and auxiliary fan.

Regards,

Steve

DF975344-3384-452F-9331-F3C614CF38AB.jpeg

60FE0A05-A4AE-4C80-A959-AF7B8B3D4249.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Purchased my 73 that originally had a BEHR installed. The previous owner had removed the compressor and condenser along with its engine compartment hoses.  Living in SLC, summers can get quite hot, so I bought a electronic controlled DITEC  unit and outsourced hoses, condenser, Spal fan, Hobie Dave bracket & Sanden rotary compressor. Removing the original BEHR unit and installing the DITEC was not an easy task. Took a lot of pounding on the trans tunnel to make the base portion fit, not to mention the firewall alignment issue for the heat & Freon fittings exit. If I had known that the unit also came with a side fitting exit rather than my forward exit, that would have been my choice, as I could have used the original hose paths and eliminated additional firewall holes. My system is now installed with the remaining task of figuring out the wiring, as the supplied instructions for a 2002 install were vague & minimal. I still have the original BEHR unit and control cables that I am willing to donate locally (too lazy to ship).

Purchase my 73 that originally had a BEHR installed.docx

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

1 minute ago, bobthomas said:

I live in eastern NC & you can have my AC when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

The trip I mentioned above was to New Bern, NC with my wife.  Our inner elbows were "comfortable".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I live on the surface of the sun (Sacramento) so AC is a must for 6 months out of the year.  Just today I charged up my new system for the first time and cannot wait for some warm weather.  My system specs:

Original Clardy evaporator/fan

@02hobiedave bracket

Chinese Ebay Sanden compressor

11 x 21 climaparts parallel flow condenser

Spal 30101505 12" straight blade fan

With this setup I managed to get 33 degrees out of the vent at an ambient 80 degrees in the garage! 

I have a friend in McLean VA that ripped his ac out because he wanted more room for Performace upgrades.  I bought his entire IcE setup and it’s all sitting in a box waiting for me to get to that portion of my project.  I will install it, but I must say that asthetically speaking- the console is not the most attractive set up. I have been eyeing some variations made by koogleworks.  

And as a a back up for really hot days there is always this $20 dollar option.  A homade DIY. 

Edited by Dionk

I hate to say "buy my book," but BUY MY BOOK! I go into a mind-numbing level of detail on most a/c related topics, including the basic recipe for rejuvenation: 

--If the car has a/c, re-use the stock evaporator assembly (the unit under the dash and surrounded by the console), but replace everything else.

--Sanden clone compressor and Hobiedave bracket.

--Big parallel flow condenser.

--Big fan.

--New receiver/drier

--All new hoses.

If the car DOESN'T have a/c, there are a number of options, but for most people, the easiest and cheapest is buying a used stock evaporator assembly and console. I'm all for the folks who have installed the ICE or DTECH systems or one of the small integrated climate control heat/evaporator boxes, but I haven't done it myself.

Rob

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Recharge-Mechanic-Conditioning/dp/0998950718

• Like 1

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

4 minutes ago, thehackmechanic said:

I hate to say "buy my book," but BUY MY BOOK! I go into a mind-numbing level of detail on most a/c related topics, including the basic recipe for rejuvenation: 

--If the car has a/c, re-use the stock evaporator assembly (the unit under the dash and surrounded by the console), but replace everything else.

--Sanden clone compressor and Hobiedave bracket.

--Big parallel flow condenser.

--Big fan.

--New receiver/drier

--All new hoses.

If the car DOESN'T have a/c, there are a number of options, but for most people, the easiest and cheapest is buying a used stock evaporator assembly and console. I'm all for the folks who have installed the ICE or DTECH systems or one of the small integrated climate control heat/evaporator boxes, but I haven't done it myself.

Rob

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Recharge-Mechanic-Conditioning/dp/0998950718

What he said.  Rob's book is invaluable in this process.

20190217_184016.jpg

Edited by \\\Mink

11 hours ago, tme said:

Mike,

Do you recall what rotary compressor you are using and anything else that you changed assuming I stick with R12?

Thanks 

When I bought it, they were Sankyo; I believe now that they're Sanden.  AFAIK they're essentially the same unit.  I didn't change anything else, and for many years used a piston compressor to rotary compressor adapter on the original bracket.  I now use the "Hobie Dave" style bracket that was made for a rotary compressor. 

Otherwise, the remainder of the Frigiking system was what the dealer installed back in 1973.  Oh, and I added a pressure switch--that shuts down the compressor if the Freon leaks out.  When that happens, the lubricant goes with it and will crater your compressor in short order (ask me how I learned that!)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

depends where you live and how you drive. 

I live in the PNW. I dive 5+ times per week. when I bought the car, my system was non-functional. I considered getting it working, or even a new system, but ultimately decided I don't need it. 

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

I live in N Florida so having air is a great option I've enjoyed on two of my 5 2002's.  I added the optional fan that came with the 75 or later A/c versions and I've never had a heating problem even driving in city traffic.  For my performance 3 series engine versions I wouldn't think of it.

74 2002 w/ac & sunroof

71 2002 M20/260

75 2002 parts car

74 VW Westfailia bus

70 VW Weekender bus

2012 VW Jetta Sportswagon

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

In SoCal, this is all the air conditioning you need, ;-).

Mark92131

DSCF0008.JPG

In Australia, people always regret buying convertibles as the sun is too harsh (thin Ozone layer) and you get sunburnt within minutes.

I love the idea of one too (been thinking about a Z3) but I reckon that the top would be up more than down. Not sure how the sun differs in California but I hope that convertibles are still useable there. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/