• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

While my car was in the body shop having the hood replaced (my mechanic was backing my car out of his shop with the hood open and his roller door was part way down and bent it beyond repair), I decided to replace the front and rear window gaskets. While the glass was out, I asked if there was anything they could do about the sun damage and cracks in the dash. I was pleasantly surprised to see what a nice job they did. Car's almost back together. Hope to get a few good drives in before the snow flies. 

IMG-2350.jpg

IMG-3092.PNG

IMG-3088.JPG

Edited by Senna27
  • Like 9

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

2 hours ago, Senna27 said:

While my car was in the body shop having the hood replaced (my mechanic was backing my car out of his shop with the hood open and his roller door was part way down and bent it beyond repair), I decided to replace the front and rear window gaskets. While the glass was out, I asked if there was anything they could do about the sun damage and cracks in the dash. I was pleasantly surprised to see what a nice job they did. Car's almost back together. Hope to get a few good drives in before the snow flies. 

IMG-2350.jpg

IMG-3092.PNG

IMG-3088.JPG

I've not seen a dash repair turn out this nicely while in situ!  Did they give any details on their process?

Anticipating the 7 month rainy season looming over the horizon I sprayed some 3M Cavity Wax into the into the front fender. I was surprised to notice the passenger side door switch was absent. Made it even easier to spray that side. After that I waxed the fenders and hood.

Now I have to consult a wiring diagram and see if passenger doors had switches.

DSC_0890.JPG

Edited by 7502

I spent some more time today cleaning the car after my return trip from Sioux Falls, S.D..  I left there at noon on Tuesday and arrived home at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday; splitting the trip with an overnight stop just east of Billings.  Day two was a fourteen hour run.

The car ran great, aside from the second-to-last tank of gas running leaner than the rest.  The AFR gauge was climbing up past 15 while accelerating gently and then it'd start running crappy, so I had to either let off, or push the pedal down far enough to bring in the secondary barrel.  That made for a lot of on/off gas pedal work that wasn't much fun; but the rest of the time it'd climb to 14 and then smoothly drop richer all on its own.  Cruising at 4200 rpm put it right at the secondary tip-in point.  I neglected to bring the little Allen wrench to adjust the custom-secondary-link, or I would have been tempted to pull over and set it .030" taller, to accommodate the crappy gasolean.  (I put the tool back in my timing light's box today). 

82mph put the tach at 4400rpm and I noticed some slight harmonix between there and 4600rpm, where it smoothed out and the exhaust note got quieter.  That would be around 86mph (accounting for the 10% speedo/odo discrepancy). 

image.thumb.jpeg.28cd961dedda68a9df5b80f737dd94bb.jpeg

I may not have been the fastest car on the freeway, but I'm sure my engine was spinning the fastest!  I was also in the oldest car... by far.

Yesterday, I washed the bugs off of the car and took all my crap out of it and then spent a little time cleaning under the hood and looking for any signs of problems. 

Today, I put the car up on stands and crawled underneath looking for any signs of problems, while repeatedly saying, "thank you for getting me home without any problems."  :) 

I did find a surprise yesterday, when I looked down at the alternator's ground wire and noticed that the crimped-on eye-fitting had broken off and the contact was being made by the stiff wire holding it in place.

image.thumb.jpeg.40662ab9f8c9313f1960e2186f938543.jpeg

The L light never came on and I'd spent the last several hours of the drive with the headlights on.  I got lucky.  (I think this might have happened before the trip, since the L light had been slow to turn off at start up a number of times).

image.thumb.jpeg.6faf8c8971d6276cd6108aa50648a31b.jpeg

Today, I made a new wire that isn't as stiff and routed it in a way that doesn't put strain on the ends.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb9cfef6ec525941f0df68e61c02c797.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0c80b8c1e37bd256364a2cba59fbd54f.jpeg

After that, I grabbed the fan blade and was able to turn it and slip the belt, so I tightened it until I could use the fan to turn the engine over.  I can still deflect the belt by 1/2" in the long run, so I don't think it's too tight.  This is the easiest way I've found to tighten the belt.

I indulged in treating all the hoses to some Back-to-Black today, while thanking them for getting me home without any problems.  :)  They're the same hoses that were on the car when I bought it and they're still going strong.  I noticed that the top radiator hose has a little elephant on it.  I think it is also stamped BMW.  Did the original hoses have elephants on them?  (That's not an original hose clamp...).

image.thumb.jpeg.728bde622ac2e987291d30a67baa3185.jpeg

I should have taken more photos along the way.  I'll take more next time.  It's pretty out there.

image.thumb.jpeg.80449222c2d2dc82d8605b2b3e0995a5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1c6e13dee5bef6a6fa0b150d98ecd9d8.jpeg

Tom

• Like 18

Installed @BLUNT wire loom and wire protectors today.  They work great along with the red sleeves

image.thumb.png.f030989b14e18a8301c3b5465fa9c976.png

image.thumb.png.a06b7a93e67fff204933c578af577041.png

I think it needs some tidying up still, I have to figure out if I want to cinch the ends of the sleeves down at the ends.  

Makes my valve cover look pretty shabby....

• Like 7

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:09 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cb9cfef6ec525941f0df68e61c02c797.jpeg

Tom

Tom, can I politely encourage you to step up your wiring terminal game to OE quality? 

OE type brass, double crimp terminals crimped with the correct crimpers are vastly superior to the type in your pictures both in durability and looks. 

32A4602B-5B74-4B5C-A56F-288B5843604C.thumb.jpeg.efd3d97ef1d905109eec3916705c50dd.jpeg

With the right terminals and crimpers you will be able to create wiring that is  super high quality and identical to OE which is in line with the other work I see you do. 

Thank you for sharing your road trip !

-Lorin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, WRKO said:

I've not seen a dash repair turn out this nicely while in situ!  Did they give any details on their process?

No. I showed up one say and it had what looked like epoxy smeared all over it. The next time stopped by it looked like new. It turned out far better than I ever expected. 

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

On 9/23/2022 at 9:09 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I indulged in treating all the hoses to some Back-to-Black today, while thanking them for getting me home without any problems.  :)  They're the same hoses that were on the car when I bought it and they're still going strong.  I noticed that the top radiator hose has a little elephant on it.  I think it is also stamped BMW.  Did the original hoses have elephants on them?  (That's not an original hose clamp...).

image.thumb.jpeg.728bde622ac2e987291d30a67baa3185.jpeg

MetzelerEmblem.jpg

MetzelerAndBMW.jpg

EDIT:  Found an example in my parts stash.  Hose between thermostat and water pump.  BMW on the left, elephant on the right.  Not a very clear stamping on this one, but you get the idea.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I've had OEM BMW hoses that were stamped with the BMW logo and were made by Metzeler.  The little hose between the heater valve and the heater core was one of them.  Brings back memories of the 1962 VW bug that I had as a teenager.  The first new tires I ever bought for it were from Metzeler.

I see that Metzeler is now a subsidiary of Pirelli...

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️