• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's this for a BaT Unicorn?

Leucadian

Thanks to this forum--and the knowledgeable folks therein--it's become increasingly risky for poseurs (or the merely ignorant) to post 2002s for sale that aren't quite what they seem/not as advertised.  

Hopefully anyone who is considering a bid on a high-end 2002 will read all about it (to coin a phrase) here on the FAQ and get the straight skinny before they spend $$$ on a car that may not be what it claims to be...

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Unfortunately only a select few of the cast of characters that provide comments on BaT really are interested in understanding anything. Many just want to report that they have a similar car and so glad to see it goes for a ton of money.

I am also increasingly confident that it's a bunch of bots or paid shills that are egging on the real bidders. My opinion of course!

• Like 4

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

And the seller still hasn't replied if it's OD vs CR transmission. Super big deal. Also, are there any undercarriage shots? What swaybars/shocks/diff/steering box? I will read it again, it could be there.

Edited by JsnPpp

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

20 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Also note that the car is in California but titled in Montana with an LLC. The owner has only put 100km or 60 miles on the car and prettied it up to resell it.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) does not like Euro spec cars in CA, even if it is pre-smog.  CARB has made it very difficult to register Euro spec cars in CA. That's probably why it's titled in Montana.  Here's my horror story of trying to register a Euro spec E12 in CA that had been in the states for over 25 years. I wrote this nearly 14 years ago and I hear that it has gotten much tougher to register Euro spec cars in CA since then. 

WWW.FIRSTFIVES.ORG

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

And the seller still hasn't replied if it's OD vs CR transmission. Super big deal. Also, are there any undercarriage shots? What swaybars/shocks/diff/steering box? I will read it again, it could be there.

Here's the original invoice copy - may answer some questions.

2735630 1x.jpg

27356301w.thumb.jpg.6545d3b42dc1b8f5e37abbf51a6bd9b6.jpg

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I realize it is a repeat...

but the information contributed by the members on this website is unbelievable!!

The Alpina build sheet is here????😮 The BMW invoice is here??? Incredible...

ALL of you guys rock!

Phil

• Like 5

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

6 hours ago, Gordon said:

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) does not like Euro spec cars in CA, even if it is pre-smog.  CARB has made it very difficult to register Euro spec cars in CA. That's probably why it's titled in Montana.  Here's my horror story of trying to register a Euro spec E12 in CA that had been in the states for over 25 years. I wrote this nearly 14 years ago and I hear that it has gotten much tougher to register Euro spec cars in CA since then. 

WWW.FIRSTFIVES.ORG

It's more likely titled in Montana to avoid paying sales tax.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, bublinki said:

I realize it is a repeat...

but the information contributed by the members on this website is unbelievable!!

The Alpina build sheet is here????😮 The BMW invoice is here??? Incredible...

ALL of you guys rock!

Phil

Right?! Blowing my mind. 

I remember seeing this car on eBay in 09. It had the build sheets.  Why someone wouldn’t hold on to those is ridiculous.  They are as valuable as the car.  I guess Marc grabbed them off the eBay ad when we saw it back in 09, and yeah Marc you could have sold them to the owner for 10k 😂.  I certainly would pay big money for them.  
All kidding aside, except for the overuse of large Alpina decals the car is quite nice and at 170hp, the car is very fast. I have an a4s in an e21. It was built by H&B and with the addition of Stahl headers they claimed 175hp.  Comparing it to my b6 e21’s that made 218 I would say it’s right there.   

@02Les has already said it. The car came from the factory with the Lux option — an amazingly-optioned car, by the way — and, yet, everything in the Lux package — door cards, seats, wood in the center console — has been eliminated. How many verifiable kilometers does this thing have on it?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The fact that this car IS real and the work was done by Alpina just makes the sloppy and tacky 'work' done to it all the more aggravating. Forget the stickers and seats, the new paint scares me more than anything. Imagine how great this car would be if it had been restored to a good standard with the original Lux interior. Sweet!

I just bought a car from Oldenzaal Classics and it was a good experience-- car was accurately described, tons of pictures and videos, and they handled shipping. BUT-- they had only done basic maintenance on it, no 'restoration'. Very mixed reviews on their work in that regard.

Someone says this car has a '77 head, or maybe the whole engine is a '77? So an owner sent it to Alpina a few years after buying it?

That’s exactly what happened in the case of this car.  Someone bought it drove it for a few years then decided to turn it into a rocket.  I have a 74 e3 that was brought to Alpina in 79 and got the same type of treatment.  But that’s why alpina collectors prefer first a car purchased directly by Alpina from BMW.  Second a customer car like this but with fully documented build sheets. I see nothing wrong with the cosmetic upgrades making it more in line with the sportiness of the build other than removing some of the larger Alpina decals on the glass. 

Edited by djminkin