• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's this for a BaT Unicorn?

Leucadian

The build sheet from Alpina is 10 pages in total.  I knew I had it somewhere (on a zip drive).  I only found a few images of the car when it was first up for sale in Turkey, I thought about buying it but was so up to my ears in alligator's with the race car I thought better of it.  Probably a bad call now in hindsight.  While these are far from high quality images, it is pretty clear that the car wasn't parked on a salt pile.  SUPER clean on the underside.  You can also see the interior with the lux door cards.

27.jpg

20.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 8

Believe it or not, there is no build date (or date of any kind) on those build sheets, which is kind of surprising.  I have another set of build sheets for an A4/3, I had a look at those, same deal no dates on any of them.  It is very likely that Alpina has the build date, they may or may not have these build sheets.  They do keep records of sort, they had the info on an Alpina Rallye motor I had once upon a time and sent me the info on that (via 'Telefax' - pre internet).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, djminkin said:

They have all the engine data but no build sheets.  My guess is this car was likely brought to Alpina years after it was sold by BMW.  

Car sold and delivered by BMW end of 1974.

As per ALPINA, motor was built 20 July 1977. 

However, it was rebuilt in Italy 2017 so is it still an ALPINA motor?

1974_alpina_2002_1974_alpina_2002_HISTORY-5-65261-scaled-1-46448.thumb.jpg.f2c96a51df9ac6ea259a5825eac61a18.jpg

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 hours ago, markmac said:

Believe it or not, there is no build date (or date of any kind) on those build sheets, which is kind of surprising.  I have another set of build sheets for an A4/3, I had a look at those, same deal no dates on any of them.  It is very likely that Alpina has the build date, they may or may not have these build sheets.  They do keep records of sort, they had the info on an Alpina Rallye motor I had once upon a time and sent me the info on that (via 'Telefax' - pre internet).

The build sheets are much more detailed than the records they have on C1s. They were able to verify that my car was built by them, not a kit installed by a dealer/authorized aftermarket vendor, but nothing more than the date it was in Buchloe. I guess that means I'm free to modify my car however I want and claim it came from the factory that way.....

Edited by inkatouring
  • Haha 1

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Yes, you can do that.  There are a lot of things you can do these days (from stealing merchandise to pushing someone off of a train platform and suffer no consequences.....).

I digress, looking at the totality of the build sheets, aside from the motor (and on one of the sheets they specifically note a 129.10 pump), the car had the following options installed - Bilstein 'yellow' negative camber struts, standard 'hard' front and rear springs <not sure what that means exactly>, 255/20mm vented rotors, widened tii calipers, standard V1431 front brake pads, Alpina front and rear spoilers,  and Alpina 5.5x13 alloy wheels.  That's it folks other than the details on the pump and what was noted in the sales brochure.  All the other whoopla was added by the various owners AA (After Alpina).

• Like 5

On 2/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, mccusername said:

‘Regular’ A4 had a 300 degree cam and the Alpina ITBs, bigger intake and exhaust valves, plus balancing/porting/polishing. 160hp. 

A4S added higher compression semi-hemispherical domed pistons and head work to match.  170hp. 

I think a 320 degree cam was possible though very rare. That may be where the 195hp wishful thinking number came from. 

I imagine that it wouldn’t be streetable with the 320 in it. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Between @02Les and @markmac, I’m blown away by this thread’s history lessons… 😉

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Not the best color in BMW’s palette, but if forced to own it, I would, nonetheless, take it back to its 1977 state: Granatrot with super-rare white Lux interior. Fresh Alpina A4S under the hood. Stunning, rare, and quick, with none of the bullshit added later… 👍

That would also, incidentally, probably represent its greatest market value.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 6

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Glad someone asked for confirmation on the 5 spd gearbox on BaT, lets see what happens. I know the build sheet says one thing but visual proof of the 235 is another. 👍

And on those thoughts, confirmation on the Alpina struts and steering box too. There are some photos but nothing I can confirm as being the original green/yellow/red alpina nor the 177 box. While most likely it's ok, these are things that I would want to know for sure if I was on the market.

I too don't love the extra graphics. And I would have liked to have the original "Alpina" badge on the trunk spoiler. And the Lux interior. Truthfully all they needed to do was clean it up and it would have been perfect! I'm a "as it came" type of guy tho.

Jason

• Like 6

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!