• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, Highnote1 said:

First drive around the block!

Good job, that's a nice looking car. Any plans to include the windshield trim?  I'm sure the wiper arms are next on the list as well. Just mentioned the wipers because picked up some new wiper blades today. Looks clean w/out the front side markers. 

58 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:
2 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Uro seal on drivers side just killing me. But…drove it!

Ask for your money back and buy OEM, assuming BMW is not selling URO.

You can also post in this thread.  The URO rep participates and may offer a solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7502 said:

Good job, that's a nice looking car. Any plans to include the windshield trim?  I'm sure the wiper arms are next on the list as well. Just mentioned the wipers because picked up some new wiper blades today. Looks clean w/out the front side markers. 

Oh yeah for sure on the windshield trim! Gonna let the rear window settle a little with some neighborhood runs. Top right corner is high still. Ordered my classic oreilly metal blades suggested a few weeks ago. 

7 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

You can also post in this thread.  The URO rep participates and may offer a solution.

I have been on there and talked with them. The passenger side is a harder material but I the door to shut with the replacement. Driver side door was tight before the panel…now it’s insane. 

2 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

I have been on there and talked with them. The passenger side is a harder material but I the door to shut with the replacement. Driver side door was tight before the panel…now it’s insane. 

Oh, sorry about that.  I should have looked at the recent posts.

Is it easier to close them with the windows rolled down?  If so, you may be able to tip the top of the window and wing window out some by adjusting the mechanism in the door.

I hope they get the problems sorted out.  

Tom

16 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Oh, sorry about that.  I should have looked at the recent posts.

Is it easier to close them with the windows rolled down?  If so, you may be able to tip the top of the window and wing window out some by adjusting the mechanism in the door.

I hope they get the problems sorted out.  

Tom

Thanks. Yeah. Because I did the seals first before any glass I got it all to fit pretty well. Wing window is good. It’s actually contacting the door panel back by the latch. The doors are straight from the body shop so don’t want to raise the door at all. The seal just doesn’t give enough in the back. Getting contact with the panel. Boo!

Before the panel I had been gradually bringing the striker in each day trying to compress the seals. Today…I’m all the way back out with the panel. Passenger side way better for some reason. Same aardvark boards that I rebuilt so not overly thick panels or anything. 

I can’t even slam it from the inside so when I drove it today, I closed it hard from the outside and then came in from the passenger side. Got impatient. Hasn’t been driven since last July!

19 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

I can’t even slam it from the inside

What if sitting in the drivers seat you rolled down the passenger window and pulled or slammed the door closed from the top of the opening with your arm sort of outside?  That way you don't stress the handle, otherwise I'd be temped to start cutting away the high points of those new seals.

Whatever.  Pull the bad seal off, order a new factory one, no reason to continue to frustrate yourself.  It's loud, but you can drive it around without a door gasket.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Had some wheels fitted at the weekend (plus B6's & Eibach springs). Rota RB's (graphite) with Yokahama Advan 195/50/15

Q- Does anyone know what centre caps I need, as the standard Rota ones are too shallow?

bmw 2.jpeg

bmw 1.jpeg

Edited by 1602bmw
  • Like 3

During a test drive last week, the engine started keeping a very high idle when stopped. First I actually thought my gas pedal linkage was sticking, but turns out it was happening with my foot on the brake pedal. I found a vacuum leak in the carb -- a plug for a vacuum port was missing -- and retuned the carb with the hose barb to the booster plugged. I then changed out the vacuum hose and check valve to the booster, but it still makes the engine stumble. Must've been running rich before (with the vacuum leak) so now the extra air through the booster is making the engine go too lean. Luckily Power Brake Exchange is local to me... but I'll have to wait a couple weeks to drop it off since I'm travelling.   

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Changed out the cheap autozone hose clamps with the correct ones.

Watch for leaks!  I flipped a hose clamp over to the bottom side and then sprung a leak.  My hoses are old though and it had been clamped that way forever.  I took it back off and slathered Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® on the nipple and that stopped the leak.

45 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Sweating the details.?

Hose clamp style/placement matters!  Wire routing too.  It is cheap-fun sorting such things.

I rolled my car into the early morning shade to wash/clay bar/wax it.  It'd been a while.

IMG_9459.JPG

I waxed the air cleaner lid again too.  :) 

IMG_9481.JPG

My air cleaner bracket wasn't lined up well, so I bent it a bit. 

IMG_9474.JPG

IMG_9478.JPG

I used to pull up on it, before tightening the nuts, to put pressure down on the seal, but I don't do that anymore.  I think that might be what's cracking the joint where the breather tube goes through it.

I also painted the black part of the roundel again.  It's tempting to chip it up a bit, to match the rest of it.

IMG_9467.JPG

Celebrating the details here too.

Tom

• Like 7

made preparations to drop the rear subframe

DSCN0749-X2.jpg

• Like 2

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

Monthly Austin meetup. Not a big turnout, but we had fun. 
57B5F66D-A17D-4475-B20A-011DA760335E.jpeg

99D688D6-2525-41C3-BCA8-3B92F861F75D.jpeg

Flagged this beautiful 356c down on the way home. 
0E99F95E-CCC9-487D-8F2E-A71CE0EB6105.jpeg

Edited by zinz
  • Like 8

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool