• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing myself :)

Hello. My name is Benji. I have been lurking and reading here for a couple years now and wanted to introduce myself. I am finally the proud owner of a pastel blue 1975 2002 automatic 🤩

My first car was a 1998 Benz c230 non-kompressor.  I sold my c230 back when leaving to college and despite the “car-guy masochism” did the financially responsible thing and bought an used 09 Prius upon graduation which slowly drained my spirit. After being a few years into my career and prius ownership, I began the hunt for a fun car. From about age 16 until a couple years ago I was obsessed with old benz, specifically a c36, old 90’s AMG, or old heckflosse. During my search I drove a few c36s, a c43, actually bought and owned a 66’ fintail for a few months (insane deal) but something never felt right. 

Fast forward two years after being rather disappointed by the c36 and having flipped the fintail; I followed the line of classic BMWs over to Woodley park and stumbled into SoCalVintage.

I wandered into the 02’ section and I was instantly enamored. I loved how timeless the 2002 was in its design. The diverse builds, colors, and personalities expressed all through one platform was incredible. I am a big fan of tuner culture / rally history and the 02 was ticking all my boxes. 

Found one in panorama city for sale later that week and went for a drive. It was beat up but drove fantastic. In the first 5 minutes I knew I would own one. I spent two years after that searching and scouring the web until I found what I felt was the best car for my budget.

I took the car to Bob’s a couple weeks ago and already ran into a member of the forum who was soo awesome to talk to and a wealth of knowledge! I am very excited to say hello and meet more of you soon!

I live down the street from the good people of Bavarian Workshop and already have taken the car there for some maintenance. I got a package from FCP on the way now with some parts and I am excited to spend time digging deeper into the forums and learning. 

Enjoy some pictures and videos taken so far. Also including some context pics from the story. :) 

IMG_6228.thumb.JPG.a01119bb5aa71d0feb597dacbc5abdce.JPG

71770678001__E6CDB80C-25A7-44A4-8373-EB76FAF3C126.thumb.JPG.2a4d0bf88fa800b6cda5aa9863ef0e59.JPG

img_0213.thumb.jpeg.b8b2d5966b2070b8f0bdddf397a1a8f9.jpeg

imageDSC03498LOWRES.thumb.jpg.e2b58a44e95dfeeab2ed3a567154bcd4.jpg

imageDSC03516LOWRES.thumb.jpg.3b26067df02d0ae3187b32f64a61fed0.jpg

IMG_4385.thumb.jpeg.d81fe029d613435454cf316030d0f2d8.jpeg

IMG_5454.thumb.jpeg.907498e02b3b048ed8a72fdf3d138bc0.jpeg

imagedsc03500lowres.thumb.jpg.8fffbcdf5f259e9faf22bf66f65890bd.jpg

Got to drive the car in a music video I worked on. Above is the car-centric B-roll edit. Full actual music video is here

Front spoiler I found on FB marketplace. Planning to prep and paint :)

IMG_5489.thumb.jpeg.be7caa7a0d32faf4e158db1fbf5fab2b.jpeg

(Funny enough here is a pic of a c36 in the lot at SoCalVintage the very day I first fell in love with the 2002. almost taunting me in its rarity knowing I had switched sides LOL. I left a note on this car and never heard back)

image.thumb.jpeg.405015a61bc43ce0471443cc6ca32595.jpeg

The briefly owned fintail 
15copy.thumb.jpg.f1bf68facd51e57c8c253e95ab57ca78.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.66314be9d6ea37b754ba81ec55bd12b7.jpg

Im on instagram at @BenjisCarClub too if you like the flics :) 

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Benji said:

At first sight I thought that there's a lighning hitting your ignition coil.

IMG_4385.thumb.jpeg.d81fe029d613435454cf316030d0f2d8.jpeg

Cool car! Congrats! I can imagine that a pastel blue squarie auto is one of the rarest versions to find. What rims and tire sizes are there, please? Any rubbing?

henn

• Like 1

Welcome to the insanity that is the 02 Benji! Nice 75, looks to be a good platform to turn it into your own. 

Drive it, enjoy the ride... and watch out for 'mission creep'! 

• Like 1

'Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Robert Hunter, Scarlet Begonias.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority...lots of excellent advice, friendly folks and most importantly, corporate knowledge.  So don't be shy about asking questions.  We were all new owners once upon a time--even going back to when friends thought you had bought one of those British Motor Works cars--when you could have bought a Buick for the same money...

As I'm sure you know from lurking, automatics are ideal candidates for 5 speed conversions due to their wider transmission tunnels.  I'd be really leery of that chin spoiler on parking blocks and steep driveways, It appears to have very little ground clearance and is gonna get scraped or damaged easily.  I've learned that the hard way with a lowered E30 318is--I've knocked my spoiler off 4 times (fortunately it's a breakaway design) in places I didn't think it would hit.  And...since your car has a nice bumper conversion from the original US-mandated (unfortunate) 5 mph bumpers, there are lots of archive posts on how to get 'em level.  

Cheers, and again, welcome

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Congrats on getting your new to you ‘02 (and leaving the lurker status in the dust)! This forum is about the best you’ll find, with an unbelievable amount of passion, knowledge, and kindness!

Best of luck,

mitchell

• Like 2

'72 Malaga 23Mar1972

'72 Malaga 11Jul1972
'09 Impreza
'11 Specialized hybrid

Welcome!

Beautiful '02 and a '75 that is exempt from CA emissions testing,

Looks like lots of "upgrades" have already been done (carb, exhaust, ignition, alternator/VR, etc.) so drive often and enjoy!  Don't be shy about asking questions on this forum. A wealth of knowledge is here to be shared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome!  That's a very clean looking 02 you've found.

I hope there's a lot of wrenching and modification in your future, it's one of the best parts about owning these cars.

• Like 2

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

11 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I'd be really leery of that chin spoiler on parking blocks and steep driveways, It appears to have very little ground clearance and is gonna get scraped or damaged easily.

Totally, it's way too low. Dont bother painting it, not going to last very long.

Sweet car, love the color, love the earlier bumpers.

Always wanted to drive an auto 02, never have. 

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Thank you all for the super warm welcome I'm very happy in my decision to post  :)

@Tommy I figure the people like a good story! Goin to be investigating your profile later for more photos of that Yellow 02 in your profile 🫡 looks sweeet

@Henning That is the first time I have heard this combo is rare! Rota 15x6 panasport wheels on 195 /50 R15 very very little rub at full extensions only. 

@John76 Yes! Very grateful to have purchased from a caring owner. I am still in the process of learning the bluetooth distributer and deciphering some of the past mods.

@Mike Self  I read about that before buying and it absolutely influenced my decision @ trans tunnel. Front bumper is sitting lower in that photo than it would be installed I just was soo excited I had to prop it up for a rough test fit and photo.
@tech71 @2002iii Thank you!! I plan to spend a day sorting the bumper alignment and figuring out proper measurements before committing to the front spoiler. I got it for just under $100 which I couldn't refuse.

@OriginalOwner Fond memories of hiking that Nike Missle silo in that area when I was younger. I have been ripping Old Topanga and the roads around the coastal canyon for the past few months. I will take your suggestion and  start exploring that canyon. See you out there 🤝😎

• Like 1