• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing myself :)

Welcome! If you've been to SoCal Vintage then you know what we're about. We have some events coming up soon. They should be posted here or join us in our facebook group!

• Thanks 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority. You will find that 2002 fans are intelligent, knowledgeable and fun to be around. Don't be afraid to drive it. I find that a 2002 gets irritable if it's ignored for too long. Safety first, then you can work on going fast and looking perfect.

Franzsummerdrive23.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

You have a blue coil which is internally resisted and the 75 has a resistor wire so you are not getting full voltage to the coil.  You need the original black coil (hard to find) or the silver or red coils.  Easier to remove the resistor in your wire, it is in the plastic sheathing with the other emission wiring, then you could use the blue coil.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

your first order of business is to throw that auto trans in the garbage can and put a proper 4/5 speed in it

welcome

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

4 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

your first order of business is to throw that auto trans in the garbage can and put a proper 4/5 speed in it

welcome

I think the recommended 02faq response is "throw it in the neighbors pool" 🙂 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Ain't nothing wrong with that 3 speed. if properly serviced that transmission will gladly keep up with any 4 speed and so many have been tossed at the neighbors pool over the years that they simply don't exist anymore.

So hang on and enjoy.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, resra said:

Ain't nothing wrong with that 3 speed. if properly serviced that transmission will gladly keep up with any 4 speed and so many have been tossed at the neighbors pool over the years that they simply don't exist anymore.

So hang on and enjoy.

Oh, they do exist...

1024px-Backyardpool.thumb.jpg.6f9e6d48283b60142469c949d5dfb694.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

26 minutes ago, Schnellvintage said:

The auto trans can be fun especially when the downshift cable is adjusted to up shift near the 6k rpm range.  They also came with the 3.45:1 diff.  

fwiw,

Matt

And gone are the days when you will street race your 2002 with anyone other than that depressed guy riding his bicycle and gives you that nasty look at the traffic light like he is about to take on you. 
Now a days a Toyota Corolla with kids full in the back eating ice cream while mommy on the cell phone live streaming her make up kit can effortlessly beat our 2002 to 60 while we are shifting gears all the while redlining and sweating furiously! Eyes burning with fumes looking like vampires …. You get the idea. 😂😂

Then you walk home after all that pataash pataash back fire like you won some civil war battle shirt all dirty, pant stained and your wife asks what happened?

You say, oh nothing bad.....just beat a Tesla or two at the traffic light with my Dual side draft technology. 

Edited by resra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, resra said:

And gone are the days when you will street race your 2002 with anyone other than that depressed guy riding his bicycle and gives you that nasty look at the traffic light like he is about to take on you. 
Now a days a Toyota Corolla with kids full in the back eating ice cream while mommy on the cell phone live streaming her make up kit can effortlessly beat our 2002 to 60 while we are shifting gears all the while redlining and sweating furiously! Eyes burning with fumes looking like vampires …. You get the idea. 😂😂

Then you walk home after all that pataash pataash back fire like you won some civil war battle shirt all dirty, pant stained and your wife asks what happened?

You say, oh nothing bad.....just beat a Tesla or two at the traffic light with my Dual side draft technology. 

Yes it's sad when you're average rental car has atleast twice the horsepower!

The only reason you beat those Teslas was because they were distracted by the giant infotainment screen or busy sipping there Starbucks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sooo anyway, it appears to be a nice, well maintained automatic 02. Drive it and enjoy,  it's not like theres a known good 5 speed in the trunk right?

I'd probably keep it just the way it is... Running

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 12:04 PM, FunElan said:

Welcome! If you've been to SoCal Vintage then you know what we're about. We have some events coming up soon. They should be posted here or join us in our facebook group!

Thank you! I will join on Facebook and have followed the SoCal Vintage Instagram to catch the local events!! 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:52 PM, Jim_75Sahara said:

Welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority. You will find that 2002 fans are intelligent, knowledgeable and fun to be around. Don't be afraid to drive it. I find that a 2002 gets irritable if it's ignored for too long. Safety first, then you can work on going fast and looking perfect.

Franzsummerdrive23.jpg

Thank you so much! Excited to hear the crowd is a good one. 

I have yet to go a weekend without taking it out. The Odo is ticking up much quicker than I anticipated 😀

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 1:50 PM, HBChris said:

You have a blue coil which is internally resisted and the 75 has a resistor wire so you are not getting full voltage to the coil.  You need the original black coil (hard to find) or the silver or red coils.  Easier to remove the resistor in your wire, it is in the plastic sheathing with the other emission wiring, then you could use the blue coil.

I greatly appreciate the insight.

What would be symptoms of missing full voltage to the coil? 

What would be your suggestion?

I would like it to be as reliable as possible so I am going to start hunting a silver or red coil. Will also research removing resistor wire. Thank you!! 🙏

I have been slowly addressing things and  today noticed a little electrical gremlin but doubt its related. When changing bulb didn't solve my front-right turn signal not working, I took it out again and noticed when I remove the turn signal unit the light goes off, when I put it back in it goes on. Did it slowly and saw the spark between body panel and turn signal unit. Assuming its a grounding issue. More research to do on that one. 

IMG_6624.movIMG_6623.mov

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1