• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mice and acorns in my radiator

Dionk

So I had to remove a mouse nest from my heater box and now it appears that my radiator in my garage attic has become home or potentially storage for a winter feast of acorns. 

long sigh. 

What should I do to address this or should I just buy a new radiator? 

Here are pics of the radiator and it looks like it wasRepaired in Tennessee at some point in time

38E7DC28-8E13-4104-BE24-7F7DB6B683C2.jpeg

80F6FFF0-E088-43D7-BE8E-68E6F2F038D7.jpeg

0E7BAF18-EFF9-472B-85C1-BCB5EB1C30AF.jpeg

F1E50043-44E7-4EC3-966D-21A82EC64601.jpeg

I usually duck tape over the hose inlets before storing any radiators for the long term....of course I learned that the hard way like you!  You can get the nuts out but it will take a lot of time shaking and dumping them out and also flushing with water as you go.  You can bend a sturdy piece of wire and put some tape on the end with the adhesive facing out, with this you can stick the wire into the tank and grab any nuts with the sticky tape that you can’t shake out.  Have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Nice wakeup call for those of us with spare radiators and heaters up in an attic...

Suggestion:  once you've cleaned out all the nuts (and other stuff!) take coarse steel wool and stuff a wad in all the hose fittings--with a piece of wire inserted so you can pull it out again.  Mice will not chew on steel wool, and squirrels won't find a nice dark spot to stash their nuts...

mike

PS  I once recovered a 5 gallon bucket full of nuts an enterprising squirrel had delicately balanced on every horizontal surface in my truck's engine compartment.  All this in about 10 days when I wasn't driving the truck.  No chewing damage, fortunately.  My revenge:  placed the bucket full of nuts on top of a second overturned bucket and put it on our patio table, so I could watch the squirrels unsuccessfully try to scale two + feet of slick plastic to reach all those nuts...

Edited by mike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If it's a spare radiator, how 'bout just getting it re-cored to 3 rows, if $ isn't an issue. Take it back the same place! Looks pretty beat up.

Attached is the radiator that was in my car when I bought it - at the time I needed a rebuild I had Curt Ingraham of Silicon Garage in Oakland build me a 3-row from one of his cores. My car has been a Peninsula car since at least 1975, and I've always wondered how to decode the embossed tag...Supposedly San Carlos Radiator is still in business as well.

IMG_7202.jpg

11 hours ago, golf73 said:

Looks pretty beat up.

I like the patina on some things and I know it works. 

I was stuck in traffic on 66 outside of Washington DC on a +100 degree day - not overheating issues and I was using this rad.   I checked to see if that rad store was still open. Unfortunately they are closed down, but the painted name on the building is still there according to google maps  Kinda cool! 

I have never heard of a “three row” I’ll research. 

Edited by Dionk

Unfortunately a recore of a radiator these days is more expensive than a WN new radiator. I had mine recored and it runs amazingly well but the place that did my recore for $300 just quoted another club member over $500 for a recore. Hard to justify when WN radiators start at $230

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

Unfortunately a recore of a radiator these days is more expensive than a WN new radiator. I had mine recored and it runs amazingly well but the place that did my recore for $300 just quoted another club member over $500 for a recore. Hard to justify when WN radiators start at $230

I’ve used the W&N unit without issue, good price when on sale.

Yet, I like keeping it local when possible .... a local shop does re-cores with a high-efficiency 2 row* core for $275-300. -KB

• Like 1

Three-row re-cores are so.... ‘80’s. After two three-row re-cores (over 30 years), the last re-core of the ‘76’s “original radiator” — by which I mean solely the original top and bottom tanks — was a two-row re-core. The miniaturization of fins and tubing over the last 30 years, however, has enabled increases in surface area that allow a two-row core to have the heat exchange capacity of the traditional three-row cores.

If you’re thinking, “Yeah, right!”, that’s precisely what I thought when Korman told me in 2012 that my ‘76’s radiator had just received a “two-row re-core as good as a three-row”! But they were absolutely correct: the two-row re-core worked perfectly until 2017, when the top tank, then 41 years old, started getting pinhole leaks, everywhere! I replaced the “original radiator” with a Walloth & Nesch heavy-duty radiator. And it’s the best radiator the ‘76 has ever had. So, to Steven’s point above, given what I know now about the condition of even a well-cared-for, “one-owner” original radiator, I’d probably skip the re-core steps and go straight to the W & N heavy duty!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)