• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mice and acorns in my radiator

Dionk

15 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The miniaturization of fins and tubing over the last 30 years, however, has enabled increases in surface area that allow a two-row core to have the heat exchange capacity of the traditional three-row cores.

That’s how I understand it (I had a shop describe the cooling physics behind this, and it sounded logical, too). -KB

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The miniaturization of fins and tubing over the last 30 years, however, has enabled increases in surface area that allow a two-row core to have the heat exchange capacity of the traditional three-row cores.

Thanks for that.  My current core is two-row.  I've considered mentioning that in posts but didn't have the knowledge to back up the "why", other than more rows per inch.

I am so happy with the cooling. I think of the early years of nail-biting as the needle crept toward the red on hot or heavy traffic days.  Now the needle is rock steady at 3 o'clock or slightly below, always.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

7 hours ago, Dionk said:

I like the patina on some things and I know it works. 

I was stuck in traffic on 66 outside of Washington DC on a +100 degree day - not overheating issues and I was using this rad.   I checked to see if that rad store was still open. Unfortunately they are closed down, but the painted name on the building is still there according to google maps  Kinda cool! 

I have never heard of a “three row” I’ll research. 

6 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Unfortunately a recore of a radiator these days is more expensive than a WN new radiator. I had mine recored and it runs amazingly well but the place that did my recore for $300 just quoted another club member over $500 for a recore. Hard to justify when WN radiators start at $230

No doubt rebuild prices have gone up along with everything else. The heavy duty W&N radiators are ~300+ euros. Maybe the same thing BluntTech is selling for $420. Unless I was pinching pennies I'd vote for reusing what I have instead of buying more stuff, and helping these disappearing businesses stay in business.

1 hour ago, golf73 said:

....Unless I was pinching pennies I'd vote for reusing what I have instead of buying more stuff, and helping these disappearing businesses stay in business.

Yes, but.... as I discovered, there’s a crapshoot involved in re-coring a 40-year-old radiator. My ‘76’s radiator was original to the car (I’m the original owner), didn’t have a dent, and looked fine when we installed a new core in 2012. What was not apparent was that the top and bottom tanks had lost enough brass over their 41 years that they were on the verge of springing countless pinhole leaks.

In brief, the top and bottom tanks had reached the end of their useable lives. The leaks started in 2015 and just kept going until we replaced the radiator in 2017.  So I got only three years of dependable use out of my $300+ re-core in 2012. Was my ‘76’s radiator the only radiator so afflicted? Maybe. Maybe not. I would love for my cars to have their original radiators. But sometimes natural deterioration comes between us and our hopes.

The ‘73 tii still has its original radiator. When the engine gets its overhaul, however, we’ll have to look very carefully at the viability of its 47-year-old radiator.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Yes, but.... as I discovered, there’s a crapshoot involved in re-coring a 40-year-old radiator. My ‘76’s radiator was original to the car (I’m the original owner), didn’t have a dent, and looked fine when we installed a new core in 2012. What was not apparent was that the top and bottom tanks had lost enough brass over their 41 years that they were on the verge of springing countless pinhole leaks.

In brief, the top and bottom tanks had reached the end of their useable lives. The leaks started in 2015 and just kept going until we replaced the radiator in 2017.  So I got only three years of dependable use out of my $300+ re-core in 2012. Was my ‘76’s radiator the only radiator so afflicted? Maybe. Maybe not. I would love for my cars to have their original radiators. But sometimes natural deterioration comes between us and our hopes.

The ‘73 tii still has its original radiator. When the engine gets its overhaul, however, we’ll have to look very carefully at the viability of its 47-year-old radiator.

Regards,

Steve

I understand where you are coming from. Was a pressure test performed prior to your 2012 rebuild and no leaks found? In my experience, often times aftermarket/reproduction parts are of subpar quality versus an original rebuildable item, so can also be a crapshoot. Surely you'll be noting how long the newly constructed radiator lasts, with regards to how often the car gets used and frequency of cooling system maintenance.

1 hour ago, golf73 said:

I understand where you are coming from. Was a pressure test performed prior to your 2012 rebuild and no leaks found?

I didn’t have any active radiator leaks going into the 2012 engine rebuild, but, given the age of the last re-core (27-ish years) and out of an abundance of caution, we decided to re-core. The re-cored radiator was pressure-tested, passed, and was leak-free for three years. Then all hell broke loose. ??

I’m certainly hoping the new W & N radiator will last much longer than three years but... only time will tell.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

27 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I didn’t have any active radiator leaks going into the 2012 engine rebuild, but, given the age of the last re-core (27-ish years) and out of an abundance of caution, we decided to re-core. The re-cored radiator was pressure-tested, passed, and was leak-free for three years. Then all hell broke loose. ??

I’m certainly hoping the new W & N radiator will last much longer than three years but... only time will tell.

Best regards,

Steve

Gosh, what can a guy do?! Buy new and keep your fingers crossed! ?

The new core must have placed eventual unbearable stress on the original tanks standing proudly, but on the precipice of developing full-blown pinhole leaks in that 36-39 year-old radiator in 2012-2015!

One can hope, and wish, that the W & N High Efficiency radiator will still be doin' its job like a champ in the years to come.

• Like 1

W&N high efficiency ordered. with 25 euro discount the total with shipping and No VAT was $320. 

I’ll keep my old radiators as spares (along with my old starter, old alternators etc) and try to clean them up remove acorns and eventually send the best one to be recored. Determining which is the best may be a challenge. 

I’ll report back in 5-10 years on the W&N high efficiency. : )

• Like 1

So, whose to say the W&N (or any) radiators aren't recored and repainted units with older tops & bottoms?

If they were, I believe they would still have the BMW part # and manufacture date with a raised stamping on the rear-facing side of the upper tank. Wonder who actually manufactures these in Germany and if they are using original OEM tooling.