• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73tii brought back to life part 1

iinca

I bought my Anna last fall...a Malaga 73tii for $22k.. I knew the paint was suspect from the PPi BUT when

it got here I almost had a heart attack. The paint looked terrible..... but not much  Orange Peel...my PPi guy I paid must have been smoking more that the usual...

The body was absolutely perfectly straight though. Not a lot of rust. Front valance has some rust on the leading edge...spare tire carrier needs replacing.It's swiss cheese...

I left it alone all winter in storage...

So finally its spring and it's time to polish this  tii

* New Makita Buffer. 1 heavier wool pad for the heavier compounds....and 1 light fluffy pad for the polishing stages. 

.First off this Buffer is pretty good but not the best...but it beats the hell outta' my other buffer.. It has tons of power but can really get away from you.... Start at "1" ie low rpm's to spread your compound out...then in stages work your way up to "3"+. Anything higher

than the 3+ setting could burn the paint.

During Glaze and Wax reduce the speed significantly like 1 and a little bit'.....no need for speed... it's shiney already

Good to have >

Clean nappy' towels for the Rubbing Compound and Medium Cut'. *I did the Rubbing Compound by hand to insure I got every single centimeter

of the trunk lid. Every other stage I used the "The Weapon".. 

Micro Towels for the rest of the stages (get like 20 if your serious). A couple bigger micro fiber towels will make your life a lot easier..

Painters tape and newspaper to tape off the area around your work space (cause' the buffer is messy!)

Dish Soap to clean the pads between compounds. It's amazing how easily the wool pads clean up with hot water and dish soap.

To dry the pads is the fun part. Put the wet pad on the buffer and set it to the "GP 125" super ridiculously high rpm setting and spin the living

daylights'...in seconds you'll have a dry fluffy pad!

I spent 2+ hours on the trunk lid alone!...and.... I'm completely beat right now lol... but my mind is blown on how nice it came out. Still has oddities about' the paint but its nice and shiney' despite that. Stay tuned as I do panel by panel in the coming week. This is gonna take awhile lol...

Wash the car...then>

*10 stage job' 

1) Clay bar

2)Heavy duty Rubbing Compound

3) Medium Cut 

4) Heavy Duty Swirl remover

5) Intermediate Swirl remover

6) Fine Swirl Remover

7) Ultra fine Swirl Remover

8)Micro Polishing Compound

9) Glaze

10) Wax

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3822 (1).JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

Edited by iinca
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Wow-looks amazing! Can't wait to see pix of the finished car. BTW, where'd you find it last yr?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

That was funny.  (Total name dropping; buddy of mine had an honest to god, real life wild card ride at Phillip Island on a 125 back before it became MotoGP, at the Grand Prix...  Guy was an amazing rider and a nice guy, then he slammed into an unprotected concrete wall during a crash.  He's not the same anymore.  Fuck PPIR.)

Is this the Makita?  https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/9227C

Ten (10) amps.  Thirty two hundred rpm.  WTF.  I need to buy some of these tools- your timing is perfect for me!

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Nicely done!

I found that my terry towels were putting swirl marks in the schwarz on my E24. Went to microfiber and that issue disappeared.

Meguiars products are great. I used the swirl remover as well. I have other cutters also but haven't bothered with them recently.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I went 'all in' with the swirl removers this time. Super neglected Acrylic Enamel. 

Someone just kept waxing it and driving crap into the paint. I've never seen clay 

that dirty!

It paid off as it's literally swirl free. Each step the  gloss just got deeper and deeper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

You beat me to it with that one. 

You guys disappoint me...talking about self pleasure and Masturbation on the Lords Day lol

No I totally meant to use that line as an attractant for the thread..haha

Actually I got the semi brilliant idea of making this my build thread. I'll add my Mudflap, Fuel Pump and Hub job threads and go from there.

The fact is this tii was a turd when it arrived here

and I was pretty depressed. How could this happen?...I paid for a proper PPI and lots of

communication.....

I def' didn't feel like Boppin' the Baloney Pony at the time.

No.. it was like a paid 19 grand to have a high hard one 'tossed up me backside.......dry.

nono.gif

Edited by iinca

1 hour ago, Bmwgirl said:

Wow, what a gorgeous result!!  I'm inspired now by you to get to work on  Princess BB!!  Thank you for all the helpful info!! N:)

BB 2019 001.JPG

Just to inform you, there is another "Princess" here on the forum who is involved with BMW 2002's. Although she is more of check book mechanic whilst you appear to turn a wrench. 

You two might just have to wrestle for Queen status. 

• Haha 1

But what do I know

Thanks for the praise!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you with that oxidation. Mine isn't that oxidized thank god.

You'll probably have to start with the King of Compounds..3M Extra Cut,, 

I REMOVES everything but in the end you've got 100% fresh paint

IMG_3828.JPG

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

Jeez you can't even get a decent PPI these days eh? I guess everyone needs to go look themselves...

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.