• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Today I removed the gas tank and got a small surprise in the way of a filter about an 1.25” that just dropped  out of the tank as I was emptying the 9yr old gas.  ‘This is a shot of before (yeah, I know its f-n clean even with dirt on it.) I removed.

8DDEFDE4-479D-429E-8AE6-E565DE2C2F47.jpeg

After

I mean,  look at the tank !!!  It looks like I’m installing a new one!!

2565C4D8-6360-4C86-9F67-674E7E20A987.jpeg

I was equally surprise at how clean and rust free the tank and the fuel inside was.  The filler rubber was supple and not cracked!!!  45ys old and everything on this car is the original everything. Hell,  I’m the second owner.  I’m almost certain I painted the exterior; around 2001.  I stayed with its original color Fjord Blue.  Don’t know the number code.  Just found this:

The BMW 2002 US VIN 4220682 was manufactured on January 10th, 1974 and delivered on January 15th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037. ok....... So that makes this car (cept’ the carbs- one Weber 32/36) completely original.  

8D22C906-1ECF-47A9-A07A-FACA583BF0EC.jpeg

Trunk interior looks new...

886B7029-973B-489A-9617-42C3B4D6AC72.jpeg

I’m very lucky and grateful for all this rust free stuff.  Still gonna take my time...

Here is a shot of the bottom of the tank.... that bottom right corner gives me the impression that PO may have primered the bottom.  The edge on the left is the only rust.  This is moving me to put the tank back in and see if I can get this M10 goin’. 

EA405811-5A4B-444E-8526-C8DE89A4A870.jpeg

Edited by Toca
Photo edit

Hey Toca when you put it back together all that cloth covered hose has to go, it's all original and it will crack under the cloth cover and you can't see it. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

THanx Marty...... my plan is to pull all cables and re-wrap.  Wait a minute,  Have you heard of a Tornadore?  Compressor connected trumpet nozzled pressure washer for places surrounded by electrical.  I can still get into cleaning the cloth wrapped cable,  without the worry of peeling the tape all apart.  Great tool.  I would tell everyone to get this tool.  

EF7D1E8F-2B72-49D0-BB2B-4EC539A9FD17.jpeg

Edited by Toca

Brought home Heinrich, the sun roofed Malaga patina’d 2002 (vin 1676..., 1970?). Saved him from the scraper. Been sitting for over 12 years as the story was told. Needs some work for sure, has some rocker rust, driver rear was pushed which shouldn’t be anything a bottle jack can’t push out. Needs rear windshield if anyone willing to trade parts!

01418a949014a388d0bb736419090d95.jpg

The boy is cleaning up the mess of what a broken rear windshield and being uncovered for the last few years will cause. He’s been pressure washing for the last hour, very excited he is (me too!)! Will be assessing extent of damage and getting him dry over the next few weeks.

a73697c2d91f5c8b502f6f4af233fc4b.jpg

Going to flush all fluids and give a turn. Just read that a few folks are tackling the same on their car after sitting many years, so I’ve subscribed to those posts.

Cheers,
Rich

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Toca said:

I can still get into cleaning the cloth wrapped cable,  without the worry of peeling the tape all apart.

I'd bet you'd be more happy with new Tesa loom tape and fresh cloth woven fuel line.   Match the "original/new" look of the trunk.  

I sanded the bottom of my tank to metal and resurfaced with chip guard black.  Stripping the paint gave me comfort that the tank was solid.

Keep up the fun!

73 Inka Tii #2762958

THanx Marty...... my plan is to pull all cables and re-wrap.  Wait a minute,  Have you heard of a Tornadore?  Compressor connected trumpet nozzled pressure washer for places surrounded by electrical.  I can still get into cleaning the cloth wrapped cable,  without the worry of peeling the tape all apart.  Great tool.  I would tell everyone to get this tool.  

Toca, I'm certain Marty meant the braided cloth-covered fuel hose, not the wiring. You can still get the original-style hose, but most people use regular rubber 5/16 fuel hose so it's easier to spot any cracking.

Nice tip on the tool, though.

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

15 hours ago, dlhoovler said:

Toca, I'm certain Marty meant the braided cloth-covered fuel hose, not the wiring. You can still get the original-style hose, but most people use regular rubber 5/16 fuel hose so it's easier to spot any cracking.

Nice tip on the tool, though.

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

Oh..... ok that makes perfect sense.  Yes,  I really cant say enough about this tool.  For all you fastidious people on this site imagine getting into areas like air cond. vents, PC boards,  relays I mean you name it Upholstry.  I cleaned and restored the interior  of my 89 Toyota Trk and that Tornadore was a life saver.  I even took a stain out from one of my dress shirts with this thing..... A MUST!

Edited by Toca

New shoes; 15x8 Kosei K1's, 5x120, et 22 or 23.  Probably need to pull the fenders a little more- I don't think they were thinking of this wheel when they cut the flares in...  Car still looks like shit on the outside, but it's getting better.

m2 front corner.jpg

• Like 5

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:51 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

I'd bet you'd be more happy with new Tesa loom tape and fresh cloth woven fuel line.   Match the "original/new" look of the trunk.  

I sanded the bottom of my tank to metal and resurfaced with chip guard black.  Stripping the paint gave me comfort that the tank was solid.

Keep up the fun!

I’m stripping the tank down and resesurfacing the bottom with with the suggested chip guard and the top will be a satin finish/semi-gloss finish and since I’m almost certain this sending unit has never been removed from the tank  (till yesterday) ill probably replace that unit with a new one.  The bolts securing the tank will be replaced with stainless And I’m debating in my head whether to use a closed cell material (notice i said ‘material). Rubber strips from inner tube, 3/32 rubber material purchased @ Graingers here in San Marcos,Ca or my other consideration is 1/4 Butahl  Tape (yeah, the same material used to ‘settle & seal window edges).  If all y’all,s can give me some insight beyond what I’ve seen and read on tha FAQ forum, that would be a +.  I just don’t seem to understand why anyone would just use household material on an automobile.  Please give me some feed back because I’m leaning towards the Butahl Tape solution.  If I have to add evenly space tapped bolt holes to the process for even pressure distribution to get a perfect seal with a material that doesn’t just seem to degrade or wear out/give up the ghost and just invite rust to an area we just don’t look at very often,  so be it.  I mean,  How many times am going to remove my tank if its never been removed in 47 yrs?  I want to do my best but IMHO, “ I cant do it without some of you’ all’s input .  Thank you for the response Ive gotten so far from the  likes of Dave & Marty on this forum.... Thank You. 

Edited by Toca

18 hours ago, Mike A said:

Almost done with the new headliner

IMG_1536.jpg

Hey Mike.... How long did YOUR process take and can a newb such as myself do it?  Ive bookmarked several headliner installs and noticed that for a quality finish you ABSOLUTELY have to take your time!!  That said,  How long has it taken you to install?  Looks absolutely pristine in you photo.  Also,  where did you purchase the headliner material?  To make matters challenging,  I have a sun roofed 74 o2. 

IMG_4579_k.thumb.JPG.3b0d7591906963b3668f00a12e34791f.JPG

Uai, did you extend your headlight and wiper switches? Seems like that'd be especially helpful on a race car, since it's a long reach around the wheel (especially a large-diameter wheel) to those switches. Admittedly not the most beautiful thing, but when form follows function...

-Dave

Posted from my phone.

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler