• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 11/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, zambo said:

Thanks Buckeye

When I took the diff off the carrier I noted the fixings were in the way I’ve configured them.

However when I was reading up on reinstall I also noted your references as in the bolts come through from below.

And when I look at “current” completed set ups online, they appeared to be done both ways. It’s an easy fix of course, but just wondering was it done for a reason ... the original configuration?

Sorry for the late reply - you want the nut on the top so if some road junk bounces up and hits one of the bolts it doesn’t bugger the threads or worse...like an experience I had with a very bent and buggered sway bar end link.

• Like 1

It's been... 8 years since my last post? I've been out driving my car, enjoying the hell out of it. Was off the road for 6 years during restoration. Got it on jackstands for the winter, and time to sort out the bugs! Just finished install on:

• Full LED turn signals/brake lights with upgraded flasher relay
  • Shaved/ported intake manifold
  • IE Stage 2 springs
  • IE billet throttle pedal
  • IE aluminum radiator
  • IE coolant bypass pipe
  • IE billet signal stalk ends
  • Blunt Tech seat rails
  • Blunt Tech e-brake bearing kit
  • Replacement seat knobs
  • 95A Alternator (upgrade from 55A, not nearly enough for my MSII and all the stereo/lighting updates)
  • Spal cooling fan
  • New intake boot
  • Refreshed wiper assembly
  • New powdercoated swaybars/strut brace
  • K&N air filter assembly
  • Drivers side tie rod (how did I blow one out in 2k miles??)
  • like a billion little annoying things such as door latch adjustment and window angle against door seals and wiring and loctite and...

Feels fantastic! Can't wait to get the car back on the ground and out on the road again. One month on jackstands is too much for me now. Don't know how I managed 6 years. 

2019-11-26 23.44.12.jpg

• Like 8

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

We had a gorgeous sunny day, so Brunhilde came back out to play for one more weekend.

Hit some fun twisties as well as cracked the highest I’ve dared to push the car/motor-which is coming up on 5k Km’s since I built it.

180 KPH sustained for a good long while, and 185 top and felt like there was still some room to pull.

These little vehicles truly were made for the autobahn. Gunna miss the sound of side-drafts at WOT too.

BRAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Solex 40 PHH progress today..

• Carb #1 disassembled, parts and body cleaned & scrubbed.  Carb cleaner dipping party tomorrow.  Carb rebuild kit from alfa1750 (eBay) is to the L of the carb body.  Ordered on a Wed p.m. and received only 2 days later.  Impressive service as previously stated by several FAQers.
  • Received ti Solex linkage from Hal Boyles.  Looks to be of superb quality.  Thanks, Hal.

Larry

IMG_0521.thumb.jpeg.7285069115d416e529a35db0078a7d4d.jpegIMG_0523.thumb.jpeg.b6dfbf8b5c267b77e34022275cc9d920.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Put the cover on it for the winter, but before that, I let my 32 year old 'sports car' son take it for his first 2002 drive. He's owned a 944S, a Miata and currently owns an 88 911.

He LOVED the car, Gave me a running commentary as he rowed through the gears, almost hitting redline every time. I enjoy seeing someone I trust drive my car the way it should be driven.

He really liked the way it stayed so flat, the rear stayed planted and it handled in the corners. He said it was almost like his Miata with regard to handling. That's a pretty strong compliment for any of you that have driven Miatas.  A real 'drivers car'. Not exactly fast, but fun! (of course, he drives a VERY fast 911)

Then I got to drive his 911. That's another story for Pelican Parts, but I did hit 115!?

• Like 4

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

‘73 Chamonix

I made a mess:

0BB6CDD1-E739-47BB-A531-295BF4B80AE6.thumb.jpeg.e5f8d5a90efc601c1208d7d40a2bd73a.jpeg

While not as bad as the Bakail ‘73 firewall I repaired last year, this is pretty holey. I think I’ll remove the rain tray to speed up the firewall repairs. 

765C6DA1-7015-45B5-A124-5273A3F42762.thumb.jpeg.4edb3d2710326cc9e222048b834733e4.jpeg

2F838A73-65CB-43B0-BFDD-38BF71EF3AA3.thumb.jpeg.abbb57f227fdff0564db7ba901b08d09.jpeg

The left frame rail was the worst I’ve seen. You could pass a screwdriver through to top sheet straight out the bottom. It only took 5min to drill the remaining spot welds and have this thing laying on the shop floor. 

I’ll work from the back to the front on this one. Firewall first, then inner fenders, then frame rail, nose, etc. 

55832095-0E0F-43F0-A703-8D4938EBB480.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, VWJake said:

‘73 Chamonix

I made a mess:

While not as bad as the Bakail ‘73 firewall I repaired last year, this is pretty holey. I think I’ll remove the rain tray to speed up the firewall repairs. 

The left frame rail was the worst I’ve seen. You could pass a screwdriver through to top sheet straight out the bottom. It only took 5min to drill the remaining spot welds and have this thing laying on the shop floor. 

I’ll work from the back to the front on this one. Firewall first, then inner fenders, then frame rail, nose, etc. 

Nice work, Jake. (Any chance you have a twin metal-crafter brother on the West Coast?) -KB

5 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

Nice work, Jake. (Any chance you have a twin metal-crafter brother on the West Coast?) -KB

Thank you. Lol, there are people better than me everywhere. I will say though that I may be heading to Portland Wa to pick up a basket case 1919 Stanley Steamer. There could be room in one of the trailers for an ‘02 that needs some attention. ?

Working on my 72 tii...In a race now to be ready for the bead blaster who is showing up on 

Tuesday, finished duck bill repair as well as driver light bucket replacement, spare tire holder...other repairs. Prepped new fenders for install.

00C96BD3-B7C8-4F39-87AA-A0FFE0CB0186.jpeg

1BE7457E-2492-415D-8F58-62BD359DF6EC.jpeg

908A98ED-5854-4C35-9CE5-C68F703CD742.jpeg

30702D19-76E9-468F-9B34-84A683C2F52B.jpeg

81E7FE7B-4124-40DF-8E71-2FBA4E50E9D5.jpeg

00D8E756-6C8A-4F4B-BEAF-E83606B9F216.jpeg

• Like 5

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…