• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

2 minutes ago, Toca said:

Today,  i worked on improving my socket & ball removal/disconnecting technique.  You see, its raining in California. Or at least in southern Cal. Its rained.  I’m not sure what this arm is called (other then an ARM).  I removed the ball from socket by drilling out the three rivets with a 1/4 drill first to establish a small tunnel thru the rivet so I can then use an 11/64 final drill bit.  I say final because when you center the 11/64 bit to the 1/4 hole,  you can move the drill & bit in a circular motion and the bit will cut a radius opening and after a few sec.’s  the rivet will disconnect itself from the spot it’s riveted to. Then you take a punch and punch the neck of the rivet out....just pops out.  Vaula!  I decided to save these arms because their Expensive as hell.  I think its called a trailing arm.  Not sure really but I do know one thing .... I KICKED ITS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side not:  I cleared the electrical on the Build.  I located as many ground connections and  re-wired the coil (looks much neater) added a 4gauge cable from the battery directly to the starter +terminal.  Then, while the coil was dissconnected I turned the engine over to possibly prime out the oil from the oil pan.  Next!  I’ll be strategically placing my Quick-Jack to lift the car about 22in.’s off the deck.  That’ll be an awesome moment because it’ll mark the beginning of Mai’s build.  WoooHooooo!

71F2A4B7-E09E-46CA-AC27-68A1235F6265.jpeg

You can follow this build from the BLOGS sect. And locate TocaChakra’s Build ( which beyond the Pecs an Triceps) is going to be immaculately BUILT!!!!! 

Contemplated taking Otto (white ‘69) out around Baryessa today, but my brother came over and we pushed Heinrich (Malaga ‘70) into the garage.

ca30f81153a16af9c62d6ee2e2fcb49a.jpg

I pulled the carpet and the interior out for some rust discovery - which end up being much better than I expected given he sat for over 12 years out in the exposed elements of Sacramento.
I did salvage some Tobacco interior bits that I will not be using. Hopefully someone can put them to use, so I’ll post pictures a little bit later in the for sale/for free section.

be3b58ed3688c5170bef786f320a59b1.jpg
3fc103a480b53c3c34f4a1fe99b573e1.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, s99 said:

Lake Berryessa in Napa County !

My folks live by there.  We were out there a couple years ago in my old car, an e46m3 wagon with Ohlins and a few other things.  I'm familiar with the road.  Some guy in a big truck was trying to play 'crash the bimmer' and trying to suck us into some corners behind him.  He almost crashed himself twice before he decided to slow down.  Great roads all around there.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Went for a drive through the mountains today. On the way back I stopped by my dad's apartment and came out to a cat taking a nap on my warm hood. I can't really blame him for picking the 2002 for his bed and he did partially dust my hood off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20191227_144757.jpg20191227_155137.jpg20191227_155216.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

My cousin sent me a pair of H4 bulbs as a gift and I am quite pleased with the improved lighting.  The ones I took out were old and mismatched.  These are the same wattage, but 30% higher output; due to the way they coil the filament (he says).  Apparently that shortens their life a bit, but they are inexpensive bulbs and I'll keep a spare in the glove box.  The light pattern is fuller now and not as yellow.  I should have done that years ago.

002.thumb.JPG.ca3eab5b1203e9dda4aaace07ef39c69.JPG

I got over eight years of service out of the battery that came in my car.  This winter I've had it on the charger too many times and even started keeping a can of ether in the trunk, just in case.  It was pretty much done, so I bit the bullet and bought a new one.  I really liked the simple looking top on the one I had, so I bought another ACDelco, hoping to get something similar.

022.thumb.JPG.6dc10d4d21ba74e89a383ac6a0ffb194.JPG

Unfortunately, they've recently changed the design and it no longer looks like the stock images in all the ads.

020.thumb.JPG.9bf050c1ab53fa154605e996c7a43460.JPG021.thumb.JPG.8721b20df1869ba2fffae455a3550255.JPG

I am getting used to the look of it, now that it's installed and has had all the silly stickers peeled off of it.  Well, almost all of them; I've not peeled the little Made in Germany sticker yet.  :) 

003.thumb.JPG.f6b53ac6fff2b01df42840fe54e0ce53.JPG

I ordered it from RockAuto, since it was about $40 cheaper than if I'd ordered it in at a local parts store.  (Summit has the same price by the way) Unfortunately, they did a poor job of packaging it and simply wrapped it in cardboard/tape and dropped it in a large box with a few air pillows.  

008.thumb.JPG.69868c1f7a77c64806f66054e838a6a9.JPG005.thumb.JPG.1a4fe7c4d5bda27f4c0ce556b269a909.JPG

One corner of the battery has a little crack, but it is only cosmetic and it just happens to be on the corner that is hidden.

002.thumb.JPG.dd13c0639bd135f9f1cff2824438ba9b.JPG

One if the benefits of AGM batteries is their ability to take a beating.  I am banking on that being the case.  It seems to be working just fine.  RA has a one month return window and the battery has a three year warranty.  Hopefully I'll get eight years of service out of this one too.

Tom

• Like 2

Rear brakes and some new wheels and tires. Going to do the rear bearings and seals as I need longer wheel studs for the new wheels to support spacers. Thanks to the FAQ for the support and great mentorship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been replacing the carpet and interior on my Tii.  I was happy to find almost no rust in the floor pans when I pulled everything out.  I removed the old sound deadener, cleaned the floor pans and coated them with Por15 then DynaMat.

I purchased the carpet kit from Esty.  The fit was pretty good but requires some trimming.  Overall I'm happy with the finished product.

I'm installing new door gaskets this morning and hope to have door panels and seats in this afternoon.

IMG_4259.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

• Like 7

Do you mean the clips are too short to fit onto the door panel card material or too short to fit into the holes on the actual door?

I salvaged a bunch of BMW clips from the Junkyard but you can buy the real green clips new one ebay. If you have an alternate thickness of card material you can go to an auto upholstery shop and look at the many varieties they sell.

Aardvark provided the door panels.  He sent me the green clips.  They bite in to the door metal when I push them in but barely.  They pop out on their own.  The door originally had clear plastic inserts in the holes.  They are all gone.  I think they helped allow the green clips bite in to the door better.  Do you know if those clear plastic inserts are available?

It appears as though the green clips don't push in far enough due to the way the vinyl is wrapped around the door card.  That is all I can deduce.