• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 10/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, FunElan said:

77eae1a9e59f828a074b7681129afe80.jpg

I think you’re right, however there wasn’t a ton of room for the diff to keep moving forward. Might have to try motor mounts as well

First question:

is this a totally stock setup or is this a 5 speed conversion? (apologies if I missed a post with that info)

2nd question:

Is the nose of the driveshaft hitting the output shaft of the trans?  IE, is the guibo not thick enough?

I realize you got it from a reputable vendor, but I doubt they check every single part in every box of their warehouse, so it is possible you got the wrong part.

If you push on the rear diff and it pushes the engine/trans forward, it makes me wonder if this is the case.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

23 hours ago, Jimmy said:

If prying on the diff pushed the transmission forward, your issue isn't driveshaft length or diff slot adjustment, it's alignment. Focus on getting the output shaft of the trans and front section of the driveshaft square with each other. From your previous picture it looks as though the rear of the trans is low.

I think this is most likely the issue...the 5 speed conversion wasn't done very well originally. I'm having a reputable 02 shop check out the driveline alignment next week. This is an area where I'm okay paying the professionals.

• Thanks 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

I agree. They can use frikken' laser beams to see if it's perfectly straight

let us know I'm still thinking the driveshaft is too short..A friend I know dremeled out his diff'

slots another 3/16" to help with his driveshaft. Same IE driveshaft for 5 speed!

In that pic you posted the Guibo is totally squirrely'. if you spin the driveshaft 180 degrees how does the other side of the Guibo look?

Ideally post 360 degree pics of the Guibo..

Edited by iinca

58 minutes ago, iinca said:

I agree. They can use frikken' laser beams to see if it's perfectly straight

let us know I'm still thinking the driveshaft is too short..A friend I know dremeled out his diff'

slots another 3/16" to help with his driveshaft. Same IE driveshaft for 5 speed!

In that pic you posted the Guibo is totally squirrely'. if you spin the driveshaft 180 degrees how does the other side of the Guibo look?

Ideally post 360 degree pics of the Guibo..

I /think/ his issue is that the tranny flange and driveshaft flange are closer to each other at the top than the bottom, leaving a pie-sliced shape gap, causing the tranny flange to pull the giubo toward the front of the car at the bottom of the giubo. Rotating everything will yield the same deflection in the same position. In an exaggerated sense they're aligned more like shafts with bevel gears on the ends. Lifting the trans or lowering the CSB are the two easy options to correct this.

A third would be to address any excessive height in the motor mounts, but as far as I know they're not meant to be height-adjustable. I also don't know whether mounts can be used from E21/E28/E30 that might bolt up but be a thicker overall package, resulting in a raised motor and steeper trans angle.

On my car I stacked fender washers where they would fit in the tranny mount so that there was still adequate room to safely attach the fasteners. I took the rest up using a couple washers between the CSB and the body.

Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I /think/ his issue is that the tranny flange and driveshaft flange are closer to each other at the top than the bottom, leaving a pie-sliced shape gap, causing the tranny flange to pull the giubo toward the front of the car at the bottom of the giubo. Rotating everything will yield the same deflection in the same position. In an exaggerated sense they're aligned more like shafts with bevel gears on the ends. Lifting the trans or lowering the CSB are the two easy options to correct this.

A third would be to address any excessive height in the motor mounts, but as far as I know they're not meant to be height-adjustable. I also don't know whether mounts can be used from E21/E28/E30 that might bolt up but be a thicker overall package, resulting in a raised motor and steeper trans angle.

Looking at the pic again, it does kind of look like that, the guibo looks straight between top flange bolt and driveshaft bolt.

One of the issues I'm fighting with my 5 speed swap is the output shaft angle, the trans needs to go up, but there's just no room.  I have brand new IE HD motor mounts, and I think they may have raised the engine a bit.  I'm hoping they'll eventually settle, they have 0 miles on them right now.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

16 hours ago, Jimmy said:

On my car I stacked fender washers where they would fit in the tranny mount so that there was still adequate room to safely attach the fasteners. 

I've done that and the fan was dangerously close to the rad.  1mm of lift at the tranny mount equates to an angle change at the fan.  I wish it had worked for me.  It would have saved a lot of head scratching.

To anyone altering the tranny mount.  DOUBLE CHECK THE DISTANCE FROM FAN TO RAD.

I found that after changing motor mounts that the engine does settle slightly.  Enough on my car to remove the distortion in the guibo.  Go figure.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I've done that and the fan was dangerously close to the rad.  1mm of lift at the tranny mount equates to an angle change at the fan.  I wish it had worked for me.  It would have saved a lot of head scratching.

To anyone altering the tranny mount.  DOUBLE CHECK THE DISTANCE FROM FAN TO RAD.

I found that after changing motor mounts that the engine does settle slightly.  Enough on my car to remove the distortion in the guibo.  Go figure.

Yes I mentioned fan clearance in one of my previous posts. It's definitely something to look out for.

• Like 1

Today I Installed a wide band 02 sensor.  Didn't work first attempt since I failed to perform the calibration. After I figured that out (actually read through the instructions) it works.  I like that it just uses an illuminated analog needle.  As suspected, it's showing a bit rich just sitting in the garage, but due to a torrent of rain I decided to forgo the road test. Still have to clean up the install but at least I know it's working.  Maybe tomorrow I can take a nice ride, excited to have this tool at my disposal.

DSC_5268.JPG

DSC_5273.JPG

Edit: I know my guibo is cracking.

Edited by 7502
free extra
  • Like 7

Met up with my sister and her 71 vw bus to finally get some car pictures together. It's the first time both cars have been looking good and running at the same time since we've had them. 2107e3c13a3c250b9f739f8f0465bc3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Bibm5 said:

Met up with my sister and her 71 vw bus to finally get some car pictures together. It's the first time both cars have been looking good and running at the same time since we've had them. 2107e3c13a3c250b9f739f8f0465bc3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love the the photo! That bus is super cool. My sister wants one . I am going to show this to her and say here we are! Lol

• Like 4

On 10/7/2019 at 6:06 AM, Bibm5 said:

Met up with my sister and her 71 vw bus to finally get some car pictures together. It's the first time both cars have been looking good and running at the same time since we've had them.

Great photo.

It was my affinity for my own VW Bus Westfalia which got me into 2002's - I took a liking to German engineering, and wanted a vehicle from the same country and period which would be a little more track-friendly. -KB

• Like 4

The roof project - so not so much what I did today as last month... and not so much "I" as I can't take credit for the work either, that goes to the Amazing Jon Carlson at Fenders and Fins in Woodenville.  Jon is just fantastic.  Here is the story..

I had my car completely painted two years ago with American Autobody in Renton.  I am sorry to say they did not do a great job especially with prep and I had to take the car back to have them redo the work, which to their credit they did and refunded a portion of the job in addition.

Two years after that body work I began to get bubbles in the new paint on roof of the car.  This was due to a rusting support frame where it traps moister between the frame and the sheet metal of the roof. In addition I had discovered that my sunroof drainage tubes were damaged (probably from American when they did welding to the cowls) now directing water into the cabin.    This time for repairs I went north and brought the car to Fenders and Fins.  Jon the owner gave me a reasonable bid to fix the roof, redo headliner and drains. I brought the car up on a Saturday and by Monday I got a call that the roof was already sanded down to metal but he had bad news... really bad.  The cancer was far worse than he imagined.  The car was literally riddled with holes and unfortunately much of the damage was at the seem of the sunroof that was extremely hard to repair.  

IMG_2023.thumb.jpg.8e53384fe198abbd2221f25300fc2343.jpg 

IMG_2024.thumb.jpg.11d85570f3706255b67126fdceaf51cb.jpg

Jon recommended getting another roof so off to the faq I go... and as often occurs on the faq the stars aligned... Ken from Long Beach California (my home town) just happened to have a cut sunroof available and my brother who works in furniture had a great transporter that could pick it up and take it to Seattle in a weeks time.  

What Jon did with the new roof was awesome.  Next thing I know he sends me a pic of the sheet metal removed from my current roof leaving only the rusted frame - followed by a total and complete por15 job to the frame.  

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.49b700559601f2a4782a2d9adc19efb2.JPG

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.4043b6bfefb9c9de11553a8db231479d.JPG

The roof of the new roof was then removed from its frame and reattached to the current painted frame, drains repaired and headliner installed a walla new car.

IMG_2263.thumb.jpg.ba8357afb6ab5c7f152c7e214912b33b.jpg

IMG_2265.thumb.jpg.c24c5b75d2d9a465fedbfdb030a290ee.jpg

Lastly came the bill... but I was super pleased with that too. Obviously the work changed significantly from the original quote but the additional hours were very much in reason.  I can't say enough about finally finding a body shop that isn't afraid of vintage cars, gets to the bottom of problems and is honest.  

Btw I still have a perfectly good sunroof frame available if anyone wants to make a conversion.  - Robert

• Like 6

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Worked on the new fuel tank install, I still need to cut out a lot of the rusty remains of the old trunk, reinforce it, and then weld in tubes to the tank frame.

Frame almost done

20191005_193024.thumb.jpg.e0990f8449b6ac3979f9bfbebfb4d3c0.jpg

Just laying in place:

20191006_164759.thumb.jpg.a47ca8e1905ce6f1c6cce2b42289077e.jpg

Test fit, gas fill tube to the left.

20191005_193316.thumb.jpg.562b6804b751184cf847e3f1a455d973.jpg

Aftermarket gas fill door fits almost perfectly:

20191004_183343.thumb.jpg.a854853189df7c87fa8022e6dae0c02c.jpg

• Like 2

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5