• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

3 hours ago, FunElan said:

I think you’re right, however there wasn’t a ton of room for the diff to keep moving forward. Might have to try motor mounts as well

Remove the diff bolts to see how much room is left in the slots.  You need 2-3mm forward movement to cure your problem. My guess is that you will have that adjustment.  Loosen the hanger bolts at the rear. Push the diff forward and tighten all the bolts.

You can use a crowbar type tool behind the diff and underside of the car to push the diff forward.  Find the torque value of the diff bolts.  Gudentite at least.

There really isn't any adjustment at the motor mounts IMO.  How is the distance rad to fan?

Edit:  I don't recognize that guibo.  Maybe someone else can comment on the quality or dimensions.  I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but worth ruling out.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

9 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Remove the diff bolts to see how much room is left in the slots.  You need 2-3mm forward movement to cure your problem. My guess is that you will have that adjustment.  Loosen the hanger bolts at the rear. Push the diff forward and tighten all the bolts.

You can use a crowbar type tool behind the diff and underside of the car to push the diff forward.  Find the torque value of the diff bolts.  Gudentite at least.

There really isn't any adjustment at the motor mounts IMO.  How is the distance rad to fan?

Edit:  I don't recognize that guibo.  Maybe someone else can comment on the quality or dimensions.  I'm not sure if that would make a difference, but worth ruling out.

I agree. That guibo looks like a turd.

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

This is exactly what we tried. When using a big screwdriver to leverage it forward, it was moving the trans and engine also, and not affecting the giubo. Fan distance seems fine to me a037f794fbeb2b0219fb2fbb2180eade.jpg

It’s a brand new 6 bolt Febi unit from Blunt, Ray [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

1 hour ago, FunElan said:

Fan distance seems fine to me

Is it just the picture or is your engine canted left.  It looks like there's more space on the left side and less on the right side, fan to rad.

Try disconnecting your csb and tilting the driveshaft up, down, right, and left.  Find the sweet spot where the guibo is correct.  That may give you more insight into the problem with alignments of the engine, csb and diff.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Your driveshaft might be too SHORT! If you have any space left in the diff' slots it should come forward

www.rent a ape.com...ie BIG CROWBAR and with 2 people (one on each side) prying on it. I just went

through this last week. Me and a big ape friend finally got my diff too move that last 3/16"

Edited by iinca

One more thought.  I know many people recommend going with the larger 3series (I think) transmission mount.  Are they taller than the 02 mount?  Any amount taller and the angle of the output flange would change, distorting the guibo.  Remember, the d-shaft flange angle is fixed by the position of the csb.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Scored some Recaros so started making some adaptors to fit them to the stock rails. A relatively simple affair, but started with some prototypes. Going to bend up the front ones to lift the front of the seat a bit. Now I need to do something about the awful looking rails!

IMG_20191002_174227.jpg

IMG_20191001_153949.jpg

IMG_20191002_173215.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, iinca said:

Your driveshaft might be too SHORT! If you have any space left in the diff' slots it should come forward

www.rent a ape.com...ie BIG CROWBAR and with 2 people (one on each side) prying on it. I just went

through this last week. Me and a big ape friend finally got my diff too move that last 3/16"

When we did this, it moved the trans forward as well (ie, the whole driveline assembly). What would this indicate?

Or are you saying that we weren't pushing hard enough to break the diff free? It seemed to be at the front of the slots, which is why I initially thought that maybe the driveshaft is too short, like you suggested.

Edited by FunElan
  • Like 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

20 hours ago, Andrewp said:

Removed the current exhaust, installing a new IE stainless one.

Sweet! I'm about to do the same. Can you post a video of the exhaust note (or just audio ? )? Which IE header did you go with? Any engine mods?

M

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, man_mark_7 said:

Sweet! I'm about to do the same. Can you post a video of the exhaust note (or just audio ? )? Which IE header did you go with? Any engine mods?

M

I'll post up a vid when I finish. Didn't order the header. Kept the stock manifold and ordered the down pipe along with the "early style" exhaust http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02ssexhaust.html

I had to go back and order a mounting bracket as the IE down pipe doesn't quite fit on the bracket that is attached to the back of the transmission. I'm waiting for this part and the manifold gasket to come in before I finish.

17 minutes ago, man_mark_7 said:

M

Here is a video of Ireland's S/S exhaust. (with stubby headers), IE 284 cam

Cheers,

Matt

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+bmw+2002+irelandexhaust&view=detail&mid=2BD7AEC0E0E77984FF542BD7AEC0E0E77984FF54&FORM=VIRE

4 hours ago, FunElan said:

When we did this, it moved the trans forward as well (ie, the whole driveline assembly). What would this indicate?

Or are you saying that we weren't pushing hard enough to break the diff free? It seemed to be at the front of the slots, which is why I initially thought that maybe the driveshaft is too short, like you suggested.

not sure why your gearbox is moving. is it loose?? My IE 5 speed driveshaft was just long enough...I regret not doing it the right way and measuring the distance for a perfect fit Driveshaft. I'm also near the end of the slots but somehow we finally got the guibo 'straight' with some room left in the slots..

, Mine looked all noodly just like your Guibo... and I didn't dare drive it. The 2 ft. long screwdriver pry bar did NOT

work. 2 solid crow bars prying from both sides of the diff to keep it straight as it moved did the trick. I made sure all 

the bolts were barely loose so the diff would not 'dive' under all that pressure.

18 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

One more thought.  I know many people recommend going with the larger 3series (I think) transmission mount.  Are they taller than the 02 mount?  Any amount taller and the angle of the output flange would change, distorting the guibo.  Remember, the d-shaft flange angle is fixed by the position of the csb.

I used the E21 trans mount when I did mine and I still had to shim the trans up (watch out for fan/radiator clearance) and shim the CSB down in order to get the alignment correct. Previous mechanics just assembled it and trashed the giubo. I got it so square that with the closest contact point on the driveshaft just barely touching (no visible gap but not enough drag to feel) I couldn't slide a business card into the widest gap. I didn't grab feeler gauges but it was damn close. Probably overkill but I tightened it all up and she runs smooth as silk.

BTW I used a dead blow to tap the diff forward.

Edited by Jimmy
Closest has two esses, not one.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FunElan said:

If prying on the diff pushed the transmission forward, your issue isn't driveshaft length or diff slot adjustment, it's alignment. Focus on getting the output shaft of the trans and front section of the driveshaft square with each other. From your previous picture it looks as though the rear of the trans is low.