• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What can I do to make things better?

steve k.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, zinz said:

Here's a screen shot from my phone with an ad for etrailer is at bottom of screen. 

image.png

get the the same thing on my PC, with a red X to close it. 

Ed

Eh, not really a pop-up, but i see. Those stay at the bottom of the screen all the time and not really block things or prevent anything.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

As a couple other people have alluded to I think one reason some people have left the FAQ and taken up on Facebook instead is because of culture clashes.  That shouldn't be your problem to fix.  <rant> Quite frankly I'm getting tired of people siloing themselves into echo chambers of whatever persuasion--grow up people, we have to be able to function as a society.  </endrant>

Anyway, I think the FAQ is fantastic.  I don't even have an 02 anymore and I still come here daily.

When I'm on my phone I use the native browser, and I'm quite happy with the layout.  I have the forums bookmarked, so I'm not coming in from the front page.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I'm not on FB but use Instagram.  Never heard of this site until I bought my tii in 2006. As mentioned above, this is a great resource that has been refined several times- some folks have left (Creighton was one of my favorite posters) but others have joined.  Everything today is so "instant", I feel most folks don't even realize the great archived materials many have worked hard to provide.  

Keep up the great work Steve! We certainly do appreciate all your efforts.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I use a cellphone to talk & text, and a laptop/desktop/tablet to browse the interwebs.  Everything is fine for me as it is!  How do folks spend all day looking at the little screen a phone affords?  

Thanks for all you do & thanks to the members & their knowledge!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, MatthewCervi said:

As a couple other people have alluded to I think one reason some people have left the FAQ and taken up on Facebook instead is because of culture clashes.  That shouldn't be your problem to fix.  <rant> Quite frankly I'm getting tired of people siloing themselves into echo chambers of whatever persuasion--grow up people, we have to be able to function as a society.  </endrant>

Anyway, I think the FAQ is fantastic.  I don't even have an 02 anymore and I still come here daily.

When I'm on my phone I use the native browser, and I'm quite happy with the layout.  I have the forums bookmarked, so I'm not coming in from the front page.

No blue o2 Matt? What happened? I know you got a Bavaria but there is room for two of those colored cars in your area. Just ask Jim G.

This site is awesome. People who use Facebook will migrate to that site for many reasons. Some car related.  Keep up the great work Steve.

dlm ny country

Steve,

I think what is happening is simple:

Many of us can't keep up with the pace of today....(either too fast or too slow)

So what we have here is a solid group that can not 'pad' the numbers like other places (ie. facebook)

It is the quality not quantity that is our truth...granted finding a way to update certain areas would make a lot of sense.

I really like the FAQ as it is, any change should really be well organized and executed with the good taste we are used to.

.02 cents....

-Mo

Edited by mo02

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

I think the instant media like Facebook ETC. are for people looking for likes and people who agree with what they are doing with the rides but the faq's is where the true knowledge is I've been on here since day 1 and the times the panel has been stumped on any 2002 question can be counted on 1 hand truly the only one I can recall in the last 5 years was the unknown locking gas cap of 6-8 weeks ago. So the only improvements I can recommend is to bring Otis back and get a few more hot chicks.

Remember "All your 2002s are belong to us!!!!"   

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

10 hours ago, esty said:

i don't use a phone, facebook, twitter, etc so it's just wonderful at FAQ like it is

+ 1.  

As you might infer from the number of posts I've done since the FAQ opened (I think I'm member #10) I enjoy sharing what I've learned over my 47 years of 2002 ownership with other owners--and believe me I learn something new about 2002s every day from this forum, so it's a two way street.  

Besides driving a 40-something year old car, I have a flip phone (it makes phone calls--just what I want it to do) and other similar "obsolete" tech devices--like a cassette player.  I'm perfectly happy with the FAQ just as it is--a place where we can share knowledge, joys and sorrows pertaining to our favorite vehicles.  But if you do change it, make sure us old guys can keep up with the new technology--incremental, not big, sudden change.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, steve k. said:

something like this?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/discover/

I like. 

I'm trying to think how hard it would be, when a thread is clicked, in the above format, you are taken to the first unread post (per user).  Probably a lot of wizzy code in some, unknown to me, platform and db writes.

I'm a mid-40's IT guy that has written some dynamic web content (business type stuff), but it always default font, function focus, not pretty type stuff.  I  amazed by what the young kid using AJAX and other TLA's I can't remember now, could make web stuff pretty. 

I'm ok with the version of the site 2(ish) versions before current and the current.  Facebook and other social media is for entertainment.  Forums (such as this) are for information.

just my 02 cents

Allan

The latest big revamp changed the way you access the regional group pages and corresponded with a pretty big drop off in the PNW group (it wasn't exactly popping before then, but its been a ghost land since). 

Other than that, broken old links and missing photos are the only thing that could be improved and I'm guessing that is not an easy fix and not worth the effort.

Keep up the good work.

I am perfectly happy with the site, however, if I had to change one thing I would make it mandatory that before you could post an item for sale you "MUST" have your location listed under your profile. Nothing bugs me more than to see an item listed for sale, then see shipping extra, when nobody knows your location. Just my opinion.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.