• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barney’s Verona red Baur refresh

BarneyT

My next project…

Started negotiating to purchase this car about four years ago, made the deal, and actually got the car back to my house about a year ago it’s been under a car cover ever since .

Starting to get my game plan together today, plan I’ll start disassembling the car in the next few weeks…

IMG_7746.jpeg

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7748.jpeg

IMG_7749.jpeg

IMG_7750.jpeg

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7751.jpeg

IMG_7755.jpeg

IMG_7756.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

IMG_7754.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 18

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Awesome looking project...can't wait to see the progress photos :) 

I always liked the looks of a Baur.

Edited by Steve76063
  • Like 1

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

That is a very cool project.  What can you tell us about the car?  Tii drivetrain swap?  Lot's of Euro bits, but sporting DOT spacers on top of the strut bearing?  You should have some fun with this one!

Mark92131

Its a 1974 baur off the road since 2000, that has had a TII engine transplant installed in it. My understanding is that the engine has good compression, I’m gonna check that and decide which way to go with the engine… my plan is to strip it down/ remove the sub frames/glass bead blast down to metal/ primer/ repair the rusted metal and repaint… rebuild  The subframes\complete new break system/new shocks/New Interior/and reassemble…

Edited by BarneyT
Wrong date
  • Like 5

make nothing happen…

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Interesting seats, look like 74 seats? But they look a little more contoured like the Baur seats?

This will respond fabulously to what you have to offer, Barney!

So it’s a very late 1973, as it’s a square taillight. The tii converter even went to the trouble to weld on airbox brackets. But he wasn’t much of a primer or painter… 😉

You’ll set it all right!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, BarneyT said:

Its a 1974 baur off the road since 2000, that has had a TII engine transplant installed in it. My understanding is that the engine has good compression, I’m gonna check that and decide which way to go with the engine… my plan is to strip it down/ remove the sub frames/glass bead blast down to metal/ primer/ repair the rusted metal and repaint… rebuild  The subframes\complete new break system/new shocks/New Interior/and reassemble…

After that, what will you do Tuesday?

:D

• Haha 7

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Interesting seats, look like 74 seats? But they look a little more contoured like the Baur seats?

You are correct! I missed typed that its a 1974…

• Like 1

make nothing happen…

Good thing Ed’s Inka is outta the way so you can start this one. 

Don

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

1 hour ago, beammmer said:

Good thing Ed’s Inka is outta the way so you can start this one. 

Don

Do you have the dents out of your inka yet? I think we talked about that 8 years ago.

:D

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

So cool! Looking forward to seeing this progress. Perhaps I can see it in person and help wrench too.

I am sure you will get this done before my '73, but my goal is by mid-summer 2024.

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

A very cool find!  Not a lot of squarelight Bauers...and that one looks quite unmolested and unrusted.  Lucky you!

If the paint's original, are you gonna try to salvage it?  Looks like you tried buffing out a small spot?  

And...will it be ready for Mid America 2024?

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 10/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, Mark92131 said:

That is a very cool project.  What can you tell us about the car?  Tii drivetrain swap?  Lot's of Euro bits, but sporting DOT spacers on top of the strut bearing?  You should have some fun with this one!

Mark92131

FYI: Those spacers were on all '02s, Euros as well.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17