• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's this for a BaT Unicorn?

Leucadian

5794-79587.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 1974 BMW 2002tii Alpina A4S 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #99,726.

What a specimen, place your bets people!

Edit: Just noticed who did the refurbishment...

Edited by Leucadian

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

Yup, pretty sweet. While not “born“ an A4S, it was converted in period (1977). The number of auxiliary dash gauges is a bit much as is the Alpina dash script, but still….😍😍😍

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

A little too much Alpina exterior striping for my taste--I much prefer a Q-ship exterior that doesn't scream anything...but I wouldn't throw it out of my garage on that account...

Gonna bring a pretty penny.

mike 

PS--did the non-turbo A4s actually generate 195 hp?  That's more than an E30 M3...

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Leucadian said:

Edit: Just noticed who did the refurbishment...

Given past experience inspecting their work, I would strongly recommend a PPI from a knowledgeable 2002 source.

27 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

PS--did the non-turbo A4s actually generate 195 hp?  That's more than an E30 M3...

Maybe on paper.  Me thinks if someone dyno'd this today it'd be a far cry from that number.

I'd take a borescope to that head and checking to see what's inside.  The Italian invoice shows a receipt for new pistons for $900.00.  Guessing the head is not "hemi'd with matching pistons" as per recent FAQ posts, could be proven wrong... hence the PPI.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Given past experience inspecting their work, I would strongly recommend a PPI from a knowledgeable 2002 source.

So, who did the refurbishment? I thought I read the page thoroughly but am still clueless😉

2018 somewhere in Europe? Maybe those guys in Netherlands?

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

l was going to bid on it until I caught a glimpse of the non oem rivets on the serial number plate.  Smells like a fake. LOL

All kidding aside, the asterisk of it being converted rather than off the line doesn't matter now, but it will be 25 years from now.  This coming from a guy with a fake liveried turbo that is NA ...  I have some gall. 

It should get a good dollar.  I am guessing about $85K(that is what I would want in it, but I am cheap). It isn't a mint low mileage Tii or Ti, but it has good provenance.   I can't speak to the correctness of the exterior parts, or what the engine internals should be.   

image.thumb.png.0a1895311780eb4a9747cab6cc65ae90.png

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I wonder how a 31k km car had to have replacement frenders and/or nose panel.............noted by seams showing above the headlights.

I also wonder what happened to the LUX interior it had prior to 2018.

The ALPINA striping was also applied in 2018.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you look at every historical reference to Alpina A4s engine the maximum horsepower quoted is 170. 
195  hp is a pipe dream.

Engine on display at Alpina. Sign says 160 ps about 153 hp. For last version in E21.

73EBE78F-98E2-498C-8E04-061663678DEE.jpeg

Edited by HENRYNBMW
  • Like 1

Its just not an attractive car / color combo to me, with the stripes / the air dam w/stripes, and those seats not to my taste…sounds great, lets see the power.

• Like 7

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

6 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

Its just not an attractive car / color combo to me, with the stripes / the air dam w/stripes, and those seats not to my taste…sounds great, lets see the power.

If you look at the link in the comments to the Sotheby's auction and the build sheet just added by the seller you'll see the stripes and Alpina everywhere was added recently along with the alpina stripes on the seats.

Also note that the car is in California but titled in Montana with an LLC. The owner has only put 100km or 60 miles on the car and prettied it up to resell it.