• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old seat value

Pdxguy

How long until the price of seats increases? I have front seats I am not using, but not sure I want to commit that much space indefinitely to have them available if I were to do a stock original restoration in the future. Seems like the price has to appreciate eventually. Curious how things like seats are almost given away but other small bits are worth their weight in gold. 

Dennis

Not sure the price will ever reach the cost of the OEM pads now!

That said original seats do look lovely, I prefer the look to my Recaros, just not as supportive for my old back, was looking at old Porsche seats the other day, they had a big side to side metal plate at the bottom where we have springs, it seems they were just better built, maybe that’s why they fetch more.

i’d keep them, see where the crazy pricing for parts ends up.

Edited by SydneyTii

Original 2002 seats aren't worth much because they werent very good to begin with and all wore out a long time ago. That and you can easily swap in lots of other seats that are better.

Most of the small parts are wear parts and a lot of them are made out of weak plastic, so they break a lot. Also you cant just use one from any old car.

It is getting crazy with parts pricing, both new and used. A lot of it has to do with today's economy, like the cost of labor and raw materials. Also if you want things built right like they were built back in the day it takes true craftsmanship and that is hard to find these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Original 2002 seats aren't worth much because they werent very good to begin with and all wore out a long time ago. That and you can easily swap in lots of other seats that are better.

Most of the small parts are wear parts and a lot of them are made out of weak plastic, so they break a lot. Also you cant just use one from any old car.

It is getting crazy with parts pricing, both new and used. A lot of it has to do with today's economy, like the cost of labor and raw materials. Also if you want things built right like they were built back in the day it takes true craftsmanship and that is hard to find these days.

+1 on original seats not worth much unless they are in pristine condition and going in an unmodified car.   The serious money for 02 seats is vintage Recaro seats.  E21 Recaro seats are going for four figures these days. I got lucky 18 years ago when I found a set of E21 Recaro seats in a pik-a-part yard for $100. Those days are long gone.

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

The cost of correctly and completely restoring a set of original seats — powdercoating the frames, replacing wear parts (some remain available), re-painting/re-chroming recliners on pre-1975 or replacing plastic covers on post-1974 recliners, installing new horsehair pads, installing new or restored seat covers, and dying the panels to match each other and the door cards is… a $5K project for a pair of front seats. Want original vinyl with date-appropriate heat seams? You can spend even more. Beautiful? Yes.

But after three hours in even the much better post-1974 (e21) seats, my old back is done. And $5K will buy a lot of Recaro/Scheel/whatever!

Having ridden the ‘02’s history through the 1970’s, I still find the e21 Recaro’s appearance to be “post-‘02 era” — they scream “1978” to me. But, each day — as we have sadly witnessed recently — there are fewer ‘02 enthusiasts of my age, and even fewer with a desire for a strict period look. And as you move further from the end date of ‘02 production, early 1970’s and late 1970’s styles start to blend together for all but a handful of enthusiasts.

Thus, I see correctly-restored original seats continuing to yield to e21 Recaros, re-pop “Recaro’s” emulating the ‘02 era, and genuine ‘02 era Recaro’s/Scheels (very expensive already). But $5K buys a lot of e21 Recaro or re-pop “Recaro”! And most are better seats than the factory seats.

Unless your car is very original and very stock, don’t hold your breath for getting a premium price by holding a pair of clapped-out original seats in your attic!

My opinion.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Call me crazy but near the top of my list of to do items on my 74 tii is to have the like new e21 Recaros the PO installed taken out and have the leather seats that came with the car when I purchased it reinstalled along with the original door cards.  The Recaros are nice but with rare leather it's a no brainer to eventually have them restored and put back in.  Was figuring on a budget in the zone, likely plus, of what Steve suggests to get the job done correctly but it sounds like I can maybe offset a chunk of that by selling the Recaros and matching door cards.  That's the plan anyways. Cheers, Charles

• Like 3

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Coupla thoughts...the US spec '02 seat frames themselves aren't terribly valuable.  However, before tossing 'em, you might consider removing the upholstery material and squirreling it away--especially back seats.  Most are in good shape (save the top of the seat back where it's exposed to the sun).  And from a back seat you can salvage more than enough material to re-do several front seat cushions.  For that matter, a front seat back--which doesn't wear out nearly as fast as the cushion--especially the passenger side--has plenty of material to re-do a cushion.  I've done that several times with my cars, using rear seat backs that were already sun-rotted at the top to the point of unusability to replace the typically split driver's seat cushion.  The vinyl used on roundies, while much more durable than what the factory put on squarelights, is also unavailable.  But salvaging usable seat material from squarelights is also useful as you can match your existing seats with repair material that is the same age. 

WRT the E21 Recaros.  I agree that if reupholstered so they look like they just came out of an E21, they don't look quite right in an '02.  But if you take a pair down to your local upholstery shop along with a picture of the 2002 sport seats and have 'em re-done to resemble those, then you're a lot closer to a factory look.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

22 hours ago, Carlos-Autostrada said:

Original seats with excellent pads and original non-cracked vinyl are nearly impossible to find.  Restoring them properly costs $$$$. Most upholstery shops are incapable of doing the job correctly unless you supervise them. 

The Recaros don't look right in these cars. And, they don't sit correctly in the car. I have them installed in one of my unrestored parts cars. I'm an anomaly here in that I don't like them and much prefer the original seats to any Recaro.

I'm with Slavs. I was never an e21 recaro fan. Had 10 sets, sold 10 sets. I regret nothing. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

The e21 recaros never fit me well either, some of their after market seats are a better fit for me, but by far the best seats I've ever had were the manual e28 recaro sport seats. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Not sure how this thread became a referendum on the E21 Recaros?  I like 'em.  I like others better, but a classic Recaro LS will always look better than stock seats and hug you a whole lot more.

The despisal of the stock seats is pretty universal from anyone who wants their butt to meet a little resistance when hucking their 02 into a corner.

• Like 1