• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old seat value

Pdxguy

8 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Sooo meanwhile in Belgium…

1592611A-5E23-40AF-94ED-A5E94AA7708C.jpeg

Nikola Tesla said it best: "You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

These aren't actually bad. I like them. But they look heavy.

• Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

They are / were actually a thing, they were from the Maxi 02, I believe there are still some of these seats about, can’t confirm their comfort, I love the look of the original seats, especially the later Lux style, my 74 style are not to bad, but my Recaros are more supportive for sure. I did watch a video re Porsche seat refurb from the same period the other day, and you could see they were just better made, more supportive. I’d guess should the later 02’s production run lasted longer, that BMW would have offered Recaro style seats as an option, could be wrong but it would seem like a sensible upgrade.

And BMW did offer both Recaro’s and Scheels from the factory — but Hoffman Motors didn’t extend that offer, so these seats are quite rare in the U.S.! (Hell, they’re pretty rare in Europe!)

The sheet below, from a BMW accessory/option catalogue, shows both options at the bottom.

Best regards,

Steve

A20D1B09-4E69-4A31-984B-4EF6741D69D6.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Totally Steve, the Original 02 Recaro seats and Scheel are nice, I’m thinking more of the e21 overlap period, if the 02 had run even later perhaps the dealers would have fitted Recaro seats like in the 320is, probably would have been for a bit of a sales push ? 

Edited by SydneyTii

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Totally Steve, the Original 02 Recaro seats and Scheel are nice, I’m thinking more of the e21 overlap period, if the 02 had run even later perhaps the dealers would have fitted Recaro seats like in the 320is, probably would have been for a bit of a sales push ? 

In the motorsport catalogue even Recaro Rallye2 Seats are pictured

Considering everything else I had done to the car, I jumped down the rabbit hole.  Restored the original seats, not cheap by any means when using correct horse hair pads etc.  I was able to get 1 at a decent price, the rest not so much.  I really like the way they look.  A few weeks ago I had 2 - 7 hour days behind the wheel back and forth to the Legends of the Autobahn show.  I had never spent more than a couple hours in the car before.  I was shocked at how well they felt, especially for my 6’5” frame.

A3397B09-9482-49A9-AC80-172E568466C8.jpeg

• Like 3

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC