• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Content removed by Author

Slavs

Living in bucolic Beavercreek OH looks better and better...

Our driveway is opposite a T intersection and I always worry that some idiot is gonna miss the turn and proceed up my driveway thinking it's a street...but in all the years we've lived here, it's not happened.

Very little street racing going on around here--and if it does, it's way out in the country or on the Interstates.  We have more problems with DUI crashes.  My sympathies about your Dad's 2002.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Maybe a slalom course with bollards? Fire trucks handle poorly but can negotiate a set of bollards near the station to get underway. Mr. Punk would have his face rearranged hitting one at speed. I do like the ones that get retracted into the ground, the ones you see at US embassies overseas and some official buildings. I guess the local municipality doesn't want to give the fire department remote controlled bollards...

Andrew

• Haha 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I NEVER get speeding tickets. NEVER. I always use cruise control on my modern cars on the highways, and know what the troopers will tolerate.

In the last 12 months, being stuck locally at home, I've gotten two tickets. Both times I was driving old cars and both times I was in a nearby residential neighborhood. 53 in a 30 (going downhill mind you) and 62 in a 45. One of them I got a mile from my house, the other I got 3 miles from home. 

Did I break the law? Absolutely. Was I being irresponsible? Hardly. These are local roads I've been driving for over 40 years and know like the back of my hands. These town cops were just enforcing speed limits nobody follows.

Of course I went to court and beat them both or got a light/no point fine. So frustrating. 

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

There are many methods of “traffic calming” other than speed bumps
Call the City of Burbank if that is your local jurisdiction and ask to speak with the Traffic Engineer to explore options that may be acceptable   to the Fire Department 

The City I live in uses small landscaped center islands similar to a traffic circle

that forces  you to slow down enough to drive around the circles The Fire Department here find them acceptable 

You could be facing a stubborn bad attitude at the Fire Department or the Person you have been speaking to at the City could be just giving you a lame excuse to avoid having to do anything 

Dont just accept what you are being told

Continue to work with City Staff and if that fails meet with your city Councilman or your Mayor

They are elected to represent you

Don’t take no for the answer  If you have to ,  go to a council meeting and speak publicly about the life and safety hazard you are experiencing 

The squeaky wheel gets the grease 

Best

• Like 1

I have 2 spare bedrooms at my house. I live .5 miles from the beach. I can smell the salt air, drive every morning to get a coffee, complain with all my other friends similar to how you do in this thread, but I do it in real life. Once I get tired of complaining, I take a 2-4 hour nap just in time for lunch which makes me tired again so I take another nap. Then I wake up to drive some more, maybe do 8-12 minutes of actual work, then quit for the day. I sometimes work out, surf, or buy things on the internet that I don't need. 

If you need a spare room to escape from what you describe as a literal hell hole, I have one available. 

I already know we get along so the transition will be easy. 

You have my phone number.

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

OMG, Danco, you probably do not remember me, but I was riding my road bike on PCH near the H.B. and Newport Beach border some years ago and i complimented you on your car. It was a soft green '02(yeah, mock me, other FAQ members(!) :). Then I realized, that it was you from this forum. I also bought some CV joints from you for my 10 year old son and I to rebuild and picked them up from your roommate. You are so kind to make that offer!

Slavs, I do not know you, but have seen your input on this site and feel for you.

The problem "we' have is that we have lived in our communities long enough to remember when our neighbors were fantastic and people had true respect for each other...

You could vote to try and make a change, but LA county sold it's sole to liberal ideals(I don't like either "party")  a long time ago.

Take care of yourself...

• Like 2

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

When this popped up in my email feed, I thought it was a NextDoor posting?.

The speed limit on our closest main road is 35mph.  Since the pandemic, there is little to no police enforcement, so at any time of the day/night, speeders go up and down the street, sometimes passing on the double yellow lined road.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Okay, since this thread is basically all over the map....

See the picture of Slav's red BMW? Look above it, in the hills. See that row of houses up there? My brother and I were 'stacking' the roofs of those houses. Stacking is nailing the rafters in place. Two houses away, a crew was sheathing the roof, as in spreading and nailing the plywood onto the rafters. One of the sheathers stepped on a loose piece of plywood and slid (surfed)  down the rafters and off into the sky...he rode the plywood all the way to the ground and landed standing upright a good 100 feet below the house, down the hill.  Once he hit the ground he rolled off into the dirt, unhurt. He rode that plywood about 135 feet...it was amazing. Very lucky guy.

Oh...Slavs, you should move. We recently did, and are very happy that we did. 

Edited by otisdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1