• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

On 5/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, 2002iii said:

That's gotta be the shiniest most polished original distributor I've ever seen!

Here's a couple more examples of Jeff Schlemmer's work.  He did the two with the black caps for me.  I'm about to send off the 002 with the red cap to Advanced Distributors to have Jeff do his magic on it even though it's new old stock and never been used.  I'll have it curved just like the 008 for a stock tii engine like I have in my cars.

Bosch1.jpg

Bosch2.jpg

Bosch3.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 5

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

8 hours ago, SplitDash said:

I'm well into the a-pillar, rocker ,rear quarter, sub frame mount & inner arch replacement .......

Other side is done so almost getting to the end of the rust 😆.

PXL_20230506_083942659.jpg

Nice work!  

What did you paint your sills with?  I went back and forth and finally just settled on using weld through primer, as I did weld in a reinforcement down the middle of the rocker and I’ll be welding in floors later and was worried about burning off something else.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HobieDog said:

Nice work!  

What did you paint your sills with?  I went back and forth and finally just settled on using weld through primer, as I did weld in a reinforcement down the middle of the rocker and I’ll be welding in floors later and was worried about burning off something else.  

Rust bullet. I cant vouch for it as I've never used it before but I don't have many options here in Ireland (although I've heard por15 is now available ). The rust bullet is thin , sets like a rock and gets into all the little cracks/seams.

Here it is before. not as bad as the other side to be honest.

PXL_20230402_103133756.jpg

Edited by SplitDash
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

At long last, I took Stuart out for his first 2023 drive.  This was largely a "make sure everything still works" drive, although I was quickly reminded of the things on last winter's list that I hadn't done.  There's always next winter...

A couple of beauty shots on our 3rd coast (Lake Michigan).  

20230511-lakemichigannose.thumb.jpg.b0084071e5e7a52608d90b3e15cc7fe6.jpg

20230511-lakemichigantail.thumb.jpg.2f49f7b855112afa4f1a88ebda23f8f0.jpg

It is also very rewarding to use a car like this to run simple errands.  

20230511-errands.thumb.jpg.127f183a299df6f395948aabddd38760.jpg

• Like 10

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

As noted in previous posts.. Selling my home.. its currently in Escrow... so I had to pack everything up...including the original engine to the 2002... the plan is to find a new place with a three car garage.. so I can give more attention to the 2002... and some day have a proper rebuild... paint job... to be continued.

What you see is an entire engine all boxed up...

IMG_2398.jpg.76c121e667a7c9f309ee3325cc71c42c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I was kinda tired of the flux that is the functioning state of my stock flasher. I’ve adjusted it a couple times and I decided NO MAS. I depinned the existing connector and 3d printed a new one that fits a standard relay configuration. The electronic flasher is the same layout as a normal relay but with only 3 pins. I used the 4th pin slot to keep the old 4th ground wire safe inside the connector, though its not connected to anything. Also printed a little plastic rivet thingy to fasten it to the existing hole. I think it came out pretty clean. I like how loudly it clicks while blinking.

Keeping up with the theme of this car, all mods are reversible with no permanent modifications to anything. Except 1 hole in the firewall for a wiring harness. Just 1 i promise!

B7EA4CF2-6A34-4071-84D8-40B03C1FFBE1.jpeg

C9C0DCEF-6C65-4FDA-A031-B8BE4C86B2D9.jpeg

CED1814C-6A1B-49AD-9977-9EF316D67BC3.jpeg

• Like 7

'74 Verona

Just picked up another batch of parts from Powder Coating.  Had the original valve cover on my '73 done in an aluminum color and the '73 tii air box done in a semi-gloss satin black.  Done by Powder Coat It in Capitola CA.  I'm stoked on it!  I saw that on the inside of the valve cover it has the little 73 circle with two nubs, so I guess that means it's officially 50 years old.   Both look new now, both looked like crap before.

Powder_Coat_IT_SantaCruz.jpg

02-73-Nubbs.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 7

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Recently installed a Kooglewerks skid plate. Not because I’m super worried about my oil pan, but because I was sure it would look cool. And guess what: it does. I dig it. Also: the control arm brace that came with it seemed like a good idea after my Danjer extended arms install. Mostly the cool-looks, though. Shallow reasons are still reasons. 

I also recently (finally) got my “emissions” DHLA 40H’s on and balanced. (Hal Boyles’ linkage is awesome. Very slick.)  Still quite a bit of burping the dragon to do, especially since I think I may have plumbed in my brand new electric pump wrong somehow. Or my filter king. Or my fuel pressure gauge. The filter king bowl never fills more than halfway, and the pressure never shows more than 2 psi. Adjusting the fk screw doesn’t seem to do anything. It drives and makes a beautiful sound, but it’s tough to keep from going lean pretty much anywhere in the rev range. I got some new jets (a small assortment I’ve read are appropriate for the emissions carbs), but I’m not going to change any out until I figure out the pressure. In the meantime, I can live with some pops and flames. 

IMG_9301.jpeg

A6B9BA16-59DA-4562-BB08-55304F9FF388.jpeg

• Like 10

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

We got a new addition to our workshop, a finger bending brake!

It was quite heavy (145kg) to load into the car but we managed to do so :D

I am waiting on some casters that I ordered so we can move it around. It'll get mounted on some wooden beams so it sits a little higher as well.

spacer.png

In the meantime I made a new rear subframe mount bushing for when we get to the right side of the car to renew this section.

First OP, turning the outside diameters and inside hole where the flange of the press bolt will sit against.

spacer.png

Second OP, facing the part to length, counter drilling and turning the inside diameter to size for the knurled bolt.

I checked the original bushing and matched the new one

spacer.png

And new one compared to the old. If someone needs the drawing feel free to send a PM!

spacer.png

• Like 10

Today I spent eight hours trying to get into my trunk without success.  This is the second time the tab has fallen out.  Last time it took me around twenty minutes to get in, but this time, there is a cargo net in the way.  At least, I think that's what's giving me trouble.  I'm 1600 miles from home, with most of my sh!t locked away.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

These are some photos I took/posted the last time it happened. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f35ce6c3455ad5b4f273e2bf1c860186.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.128c37f9041a9e9b3b87916557a95ba4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.edf7ba02160f8a8bf0003e9936ff20ff.jpeg

100% suck

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

100% suck

Sorry to hear about this!  I'll bet your tools are in the trunk.

Any chance of removing the parcel shelf from the inside to find an access hole for a coat hanger?

Or the rear license plate light grommet? Or wiggling something between the trunk lid and the gasket?  I know you keep your trunk lid "dollar bill tight"...but may be worth a try.

Bummer!

John

• Like 2

My tools and timing light are inside the cabin.  There's a trick to getting in, using a length of wire with a washer on one end and it worked great last time.  I've tried three different versions today, the last being the best, but it broke, so I'll be making another one in the morning.  It's awkward getting the wire bent just right to put the washer in place; especially with the cargo net I have stretched across the back of the trunk.  The front of the trunk has my Thule racks across the wheel wells, with a tool box full of spare parts tucked under that and a computer monitor from floor to parcel shelf strapped behind.  There's also a large cooler inside the trunk, plus a bunch of other junk.  So, access from the backseat seems unlikely.

I looked at that grommet behind the license plate and wondered if I could reach through there to push the lever.  I will look again tomorrow.  I don't want to do damage to my car, but may drill a little hole beside the button and push on the lever through that.  I'd be especially bummed to drill a hole and have that not work.

I pulled a bench up behind the car and sat there for hours wiggling those wires.  I'm parked outside of an old folks home and met a lot of nice people today.  The 2002 compliments cheered me up a bit.  Jan came out over half a dozen times wanting to help me.  She brought out an assortment of tools she thought might be useful, including small screw drivers, a bobby pin, a little corn on the cob holder, the ink cartridge from a ball point pen, a bird feeder hanging from a thin stainless cable.  She said the cable was probably too flexible and I agreed. 

Jan said she thought they were probably going to sell a lot of 2002s, because they were really nice looking cars.  She was surprised when I told her they stopped making them in 1976 and said it looked brand new!  She also said she was the Big Winner in a contest and all she had to do was give them $500 to claim her $16,000 prize.  I assured her it was a scam, but she said they call everyday and she was sure the contest was real. 

One guy went to his truck and brought a big tool box over and pulled out two professional looking lock picking kits.  A few people suggested I call a locksmith.  It was a busy day out in the parking lot. 

100% suck is a phrase my friend from Hong Kong used to use.  It doesn't quite apply here, but I'd really like to solve this problem.  I'll be back out on the bench in the morning, if it's not raining too hard.

The car did great on the drive out.  Kingston to Billings on day one and the rest of the way on day two.  It sounds like I might be driving into a PNW heatwave on my way home.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1