• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Changed out the cracked Guibo Saturday. @halboyles alignment tool showed me how far off it was.

My oldest Son discribed it perfectly. "Well this is f*@ked".  The horseshoe style 5 speed bracket had sagged 

down a bit and will need to be replaced. Lots of washers for now.  

We also found the center link is pretty toasted so will order Monday and install Tuesday from @BLUNT.

Quick oil change for the 1500 mile round trip to Ashville for At The Vintage.

I'm I crazy to try to install the 123 distributer for a 1500 mile test drive ? or just wait till I return ,thoughts.

Edited by jp5Touring
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tom, 

When you're back home, please post an instructional piece re: the Top Five Ways to Open a Reluctant Trunk.  It happened to you.  It will happen to us.  Thanks for the heads-up and the superb story of these wonderful people and your new best friends.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I opened my trunk!  I had put a bag of  supplies beside the trunk latching mechanism and it was blocking access to the latch, so I couldn't get the custom opening tool in there.  I made hooked wire tool out of a coat hanger and pulled that out of the way and then it only took a few minutes to get in.  That was incredibly frustrating, but a huge relief in the end.

4 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

Tom, 

When you're back home, please post an instructional piece re: the Top Five Ways to Open a Reluctant Trunk. 

I only know one way, Larry and it works so well that I don't want to post it for security reasons.  If you ever have a problem, send me a PM and I will share the details..

Tom

• Like 6

Strut assemblies going back together after painting the parts.  What I'm not showing are pics of the broken bolt and backwards steering arms.  But all is good now and the assemblies are stacked up with all the other parts that are waiting for the car to catch up.

IMG_1710.jpg

• Like 5

I recently got my notice for my biennial California Smog Test.  I've only had this car two years and did not really expect to pass. To improve my odds I prepped for the test by checking that all my vacuum hoses were correctly attached. Then I drove it around at some high revs with the idea that a warm motor will burn fuel more efficiently.

When I got there for my appointment they weren't ready so I drove around some more. Finally they waved me into the testing stall. The tech looked at the smog stickers under the hood and started his testing procedure. It was lucky that I was standing nearby because the tech had trouble closing the hood and thought slamming it would help. I have to admit the hood needs some adjustment...anyway

I got the hood closed and he told me my car passed! I'm good for another two years!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eissmann said:

I recently got my notice for my biennial California Smog Test.  I've only had this car two years and did not really expect to pass. To improve my odds I prepped for the test by checking that all my vacuum hoses were correctly attached. Then I drove it around at some high revs with the idea that a warm motor will burn fuel more efficiently.

When I got there for my appointment they weren't ready so I drove around some more. Finally they waved me into the testing stall. The tech looked at the smog stickers under the hood and started his testing procedure. It was lucky that I was standing nearby because the tech had trouble closing the hood and thought slamming it would help. I have to admit the hood needs some adjustment...anyway

I got the hood closed and he told me my car passed! I'm good for another two years!

A 76 in CA, you’re a hardy sole. When I had my first 02 back in the 80’s, I didn’t meet the cutoff in my 69. With zero smog parts on the car, I had to have a guy with a smog cert pad.

Last of The Vintage prep. Changed the oil, checked the valves, washed it 🙂 and replaced

the steering center link. I thought the steering box had a little slop in it. Nope center link was toast.

Joys of old age missing obvious things.  Car feels great now can't believe how bad the steering was 

compared to now. Should be good for the 1500 mile round trip.

IMG_4827.thumb.jpg.b41ecdcb804cce88570f0e8d0e52a5c3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, Fortlauderdalian said:

Removed rear subframe and started planning on removing engine and transmission. DIY rotisserie on the drawing board for later. IMG_8458.thumb.jpeg.5e1e1475df169722a346a30bba10d82c.jpegIMG_8459.thumb.jpeg.d0bfe2c2bc417c0e28122ac23726ac47.jpeg

was that fun? 😂 I might attempt it next year…

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:56 AM, jp5Touring said:

Changed out the cracked Guibo Saturday. @halboyles alignment tool showed me how far off it was.

My oldest Son discribed it perfectly. "Well this is f*@ked".  The horseshoe style 5 speed bracket had sagged 

down a bit and will need to be replaced. Lots of washers for now.  

We also found the center link is pretty toasted so will order Monday and install Tuesday from @BLUNT.

Quick oil change for the 1500 mile round trip to Ashville for At The Vintage.

I'm I crazy to try to install the 123 distributer for a 1500 mile test drive ? or just wait till I return ,thoughts.

Those horse shoe brackets seem to put so much cantilever pressure on the original mounts, im not a fan. I recently changed mine over to a Aarkvark racing brace that has new tranny mounts.

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Thanks 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:59 AM, John O said:

Dipped mine..... was pleasantly suprised....  52 year old like new shell

ES1.jpg

ES2.jpg

ES3.jpg

ES4.jpg

That’s a work of art👌🏼 I’m curious, what was the process from start? Sand blast, dip? Did you get it dipped in a zinc coating or something to rust proof it? 

• Like 1