• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monterey Or Bust!

1 hour ago, arminyack said:

Sweet paul! I was in the BMW Hospitality tent today, and dropped my vote for your car (0027) while I was there...glad you won it! Well deserved!

Ah thanks! I wondered if anyone would notice my stereo delete.  Kinda fun - very temporary.

Are you at the track tomorrow? I'd really like to say hello. 

I'll be at corall lot at 11am and visiting Mark (Pigpen) and Vintage Racing Motors (Preyuppy) in the pits after lunch.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Congratulations Paul!

The award is very well deserved. Everyone visiting this site would have voted for you. 

Thank you for creating this discussion topic. Very interesting reading from the sharing of an idea to its fruition. 

Have a safe and pleasant return. 

• Thanks 1

Paul, enjoyed meeting you at Legends. The People's Choice win at Laguna Seca is well deserved and the icing on the cake of your wonderful trip. Safe travels where ever your '02 takes you!

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

• Administrators

I created a category in the Gallery for the Legends and Monterey Historics to keep photos a bit organized.  Please, add your albums to it for future generations and to preserve your memories

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/gallery/category/8-legends-of-the-autobahn-monterey-historics/

Steve K.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

I'm home!  2544 miles and 103 gallons of gas later.

I left a sleepy Pacific Grove at 5:30am Monday morning and blasted east on Hwy 156/152  toward Interstate 5.  I swear I passed through the "Garlic Capital of the World" on 152.  The aroma of fresh garlic was overwhelming.  I saw first-hand the farm land that produces much of the produce we see in out grocery stores in Canada throughout the winter months.

I would call the Pacific Coast Highway route beautiful and an exhilarating driving experience.  Interstate 5 on the other hand has vistas and wide expanses of untamed land that is all the more appreciated while cruising at 80+ mph FOR HOURS.  My car has sweet spots.  I tried to stay  in the 4000-4200 rpm range.  Not too many people passing me.

Interstate5_3sml.jpg.29981ee678a4bc6c7d8ec2a67b1da808.jpgInterstate5_6sml.jpg.3f4ebbd36710d539b82e6ee3a497fd7e.jpgInterstate5_2sml.jpg.4878f60110026a76ee114a802818d0f7.jpg

First day: 12 hours driving to Portland.  Second day: 6 hours driving to Vancouver.  Car ran like a champ on the trip.    Not a hickup.

I will remember this trip forever. I will have fond memories of the people I met and the kind words I received every step of the way.  From my initial commitment to this  event FAQ members have given me encouragement and advice.  Thank you so much.  It all added up to a spectacular 10 days of fun!

For Carl.  Thanks for pushing me to make this detour.

GoldenGate1sml.jpg.5fab519b87e7c168514f599e3d3a7b23.jpg

• Like 4

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Good stuff Paul....additional kudos for driving through Gilroy, and experiencing the non-stop smell of Garlic. I grew up with that....even though I lived 20+ miles to the north, the smell of garlic was quiet strong very often at my parents house. Every year they have the garlic festival, where one can experience everything you can think of made of garlic....including ice cream!

• Like 1