Monterey Or Bust!

It's official.  I'm driving to Monterey for the Rolex Reunion!  1100 miles in the Tii.  Now I can review the post by slaviklungo to see what knowledgeable people are saying about driving the coast road.  My first look at a map and I've got some ideas for detours off  Interstate5 to the PCH and then back onto the Interstate to miss SF and San Jose.   Any input would be appreciated.

Map1.thumb.jpg.ffca28721a9d07cd03fca90fc43c487d.jpg

If possible it would be fun to stop and chat with people on the FAQ.  Not expecting any breakdowns (maybe wishful thinking) but I'll have all the towing companies bookmarked along the way and a tii care package in the car.

I'm booked at Legends and the BMW corral for the race weekend.  Any other event recommendations would be appreciated.  I'm so excited.  I've decided to stay in a hotel so I'm giving up my campsite.  I'm told that transferring it to another camper is acceptable, as long as it's not at a higher rate.  I'm not about to try making money on this so anyone interested PM me and we can work out the details.

Highway 199 from Grant's Pass, OR to Crescent City, CA is a great drive once you're on the California side. Nice and curvy mountain road with almost no traffic. We took this route by accident a couple years ago and almost doubled back so we could take turns driving the CA/OR border to 30 or so miles outside of Crescent City.

101 will just be a train of RVs in the summer, so you won't miss much by taking I-5 a bit farther south before cutting over to the coast.

Sounds like a fun adventure!

1 hour ago, Pigpen said:

Hi Paul,

I will be there, racing my M10 powered Elva Sport Racer, please look us up in the pits. Mark

So cool!  Thanks.  See you there.

1 hour ago, bento said:

Highway 199 from Grant's Pass, OR to Crescent City, CA is a great drive once you're on the California side. Nice and curvy mountain road with almost no traffic. We took this route by accident a couple years ago and almost doubled back so we could take turns driving the CA/OR border to 30 or so miles outside of Crescent City.

101 will just be a train of RVs in the summer, so you won't miss much by taking I-5 a bit farther south before cutting over to the coast.

Good to know.  I'll start revising my route...

Edited by PaulTWinterton

Recommend, Redwood National and State Parks, Chandelier Tree in Leggett CA, Avenue of the Giants and PCH through Mendocino.

Your Tii will be fine. Simple check/to do list before the trip: K-Fish belt, I change every 30K miles. Adjust valves, sync throttle body and K-Fish. Enjoy the hell out of it. 

As you know a well maintained car will take care of you. 2200 miles, piece of cake.

3 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Recommend, Redwood National and State Parks, Chandelier Tree in Leggett CA, Avenue of the Giants and PCH through Mendocino.

Thank you.  Noted.

3 hours ago, vinceg14 said:

The Experience of driving over the Golden gate, Presidio Park and 19th avenue can be fun if your not in a hurry and have not done it much.  Continue to  PCH down to Monterrey. So much to see. 

I must say that I have thought about the drive through SF.  Maybe it won't be too congested.  You're right... much to see.

3 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Your Tii will be fine. Simple check/to do list before the trip: K-Fish belt, I change every 30K miles. Adjust valves, sync throttle body and K-Fish. Enjoy the hell out of it. 

As you know a well maintained car will take care of you. 2200 miles, piece of cake.

I agree.  I will do a couple of runs to Seattle this Spring to check my MPG and Air/Fuel adjustments.  Advanced Distributors just rebuilt my distributor, so I'm enjoying a new power curve.  I don't have the luxury of an AFR, so trial and error is my testing method.   So far, so good.  Car's been running great lately.

• 2 months later...

4 weeks (tomorrow) til I leave.:)

I'm selling my camping pass at the track.  I got lucky and scored a great hotel room.

I put this ad on Craigslist:

https://monterey.craigslist.org/search/tia?query=Rolex

Here's a map of the track:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/main/files/file-attachments/camping_a_b_c_and_9_10_11.pdf

Car's running nice, and I've got my route planned.  Lots of 101, some Interstate5, and a dash of Grant's Pass.

I've got to fly out there and attend the car week events again. I lost my cool place to stay when my wife's Aunt Aggie moved from Carmel to West Palm Beach recently, but no worries. I will check out Legends of the Autobahn and the classic racing at Laguna Seca again one day.... I still need to see Yosemite and I would love to dine at Tres Pinos again with a special couple that I miss seeing....

north of the Golden Gate Bridge:  take the Alexander Avenue exit (exit 442) from the southbound 101.  At the stop sign:  across the street you'll see a sign pointing Left to the Marin Headlands, so turn left (south).  Less than 100 yards you'll bear right and head uphill.

Continue on the highway, there are many places to park for a great view of the bridge and the city.

The best time:  very late in the day.  Quite spectacular to see the sun set and the lights of the city come on.  A bottle of superbly icy (icily superb) champagne is highly recommended to celebrate the moment(s).

Marin_Headlands_Afternoon_1024px.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

16 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

north of the Golden Gate Bridge:  take the Alexander Avenue exit (exit 442) from the southbound 101.  At the stop sign:  across the street you'll see a sign pointing Left to the Marin Headlands, so turn left (south).  Less than 100 yards you'll bear right and head uphill.

Continue on the highway, there are many places to park for a great view of the bridge and the city.

The best time:  very late in the day.  Quite spectacular to see the sun set and the lights of the city come on.  A bottle of superbly icy (icily superb) champagne is highly recommended to celebrate the moment(s).

Marin_Headlands_Afternoon_1024px.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

+1

it's one of my favorite places to shoot.  Also spectacular to view a dawn and sunrise and watch the lights in the city go off, although in August the sun will rise over Berkeley, which will be to the left of The City.