• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monterey Or Bust!

Unfortunately I won't be in a BMW but I will be at the track from Thursday night till Sunday afternoon.  Hopefully I'll see some of you.  We'll be in camping spot 500xs on the map, where Steve and the guys have camped in the past.  White 2003 GMC pickup with a tent in the bed.  Stop by..

Edited by dang

Being sort of a CA native (lived in NorCal over half my life), I can highly recommend both the Avenue of the Giants and the Marin Headlands.  Google some images from the headlands, some days you see the bridge and city, some days it's all fogged in.  Worth it either way.

Dave A.

'72 2002Tii

'74 Alfa Spider

getting through SF can be a giant PITA if you go through on a weekday at rush hour. With only 1 main street that pass through golden gate park, its a big bottleneck...unless you want to go the downtown route, which has its own set of nightmares to drive through. Id recommend taking Park Presido Blvd after going across the Golden Gate.....Stay on your toes after you get across the bridge, you have to make a decision which way to go pretty quick. Take the Park Presido option, and head down this until Geary Ave. Make a right on Geary Ave.  Take Geary Ave. all the way until it bends around at the Cliff House as it hits the Pacific Ocean. Stop at the Cliff House, have a drink and enjoy the view, then drive south on the Great Highway that runs along the ocean. Do it at sunset if you can =). This will spit out onto Skyline Blvd, then take this south until you get to HWY 1. From here you can choose to the north on 1 to 280, and take that route down, or take HWY 1 south (of course, you are going this way!) Take HWY 1 the rest of the way!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow quite the journey. I grew up on the SF Peninsula and a must is the drive from SF to Monterrey via Highway 1.

Don't bother with i280 coming out of the City. It's a really nice freeway for sure but nothing beats the coastal route...

Personally I'd go right up 19th Avenue at a reasonable hour (10 to 3)...Follow the signs to the Pacifica exit to Highway 1..

First town will be Pacifica. Nice surf town with great beaches...then

you'll go through Half Moon Bay, San Gregorio and all kinds of funky coast towns. Lots of surf, beaches all the way to the Monterrey Peninsula..

and the temps will be at least 15 degrees cooler than taking 280 through the Santa Clara Valley

Best stop will be Santa Cruz. Tons to do but don't forget to check out Fishermans' Wharf and watch all the surfers, kayakers and paddle boarders along the cliffs dodging Great Whites.

Make sure you leave Santa Cruz by 3 pm or it might get a bit muddy' on Highway 1

Highway 1 goes all the way around a bay from Santa Cruz..past Capitola (great stopping place with a  mini boardwalk +great food)

than Rio Del Mar...Aptos......past Moss Landing and near the Garlic Capitol of The World> GILROY. Children throw huge garlic cloves at tourists as you drive through the main st...cute kids!!

First pic is from the Deck of the Casa Blanca Hotel overlooking the Wharf and west to the surfers. That pic was taken last month..

Last 3 are from Big Sur..south of Monterrey...you HAVE to drive that road

unnamed (19).jpg

bixby_bridge__big_sur__california.jpg

big-sur-pfeiffer-sp.jpg

Big_Sur_Coast_California.JPG

Edited by iinca

i'm heading out tomorrow after lunch but i'm coming the opposite way. heading from la taking the 101 north since poor pch is closed this year

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

Will be at the track and in the BMW Hospitality seating area / parking corral on Saturday. Will be scouring all of the other events around town from Tuesday-Friday. Let's keep in touch and maybe meet up for coffee or drinks. I do not think I am going to drive Sterling all the way to Monterey in the heat we have been having inland NorCal and paying for a trailer just doesn't make sense.

BURNDOG

• Like 1