• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How's this for a BaT Unicorn?

Leucadian

And that’s with $66 Maxxis Mecotra 3 tires. Just think of what this could’ve brought with a set of suitable tires… 😳😋

This isn’t the last we’ve seen of this car. At least I hope not!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I had a nightmarish experience with Oldezaal Classics with a BMW 320iS purchase. Soured me on the whole hobby.

• Sad 3

'06 Silver Chrysler 300 SRT8

'05 SSB Chrysler Crossfire Roadster SRT6

'72 Sterlingsilber Metallic BMW 2002tii Vin #2760002

'90 Lachssilber Metallic BMW 320iS Vin # AE27695 "Italian M3"

On 2/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Dudeland said:

It should get a good dollar.  I am guessing about $85K(that is what I would want in it, but I am cheap). 

... did I say I was cheap.  I am woefully under-informed about the Alpina market and at 170K, I don't feel like I will need to educate myself any time soon. 

Regards

Edited by Dudeland
  • Like 4

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Nothing from this auction adds up or makes and sense to me. Unless I am missing something, it’s just very interesting. I don’t get it. 

Edited by JohnP_02
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

25 minutes ago, JohnP_02 said:

I don’t know, the whole thing is sketchy as hell if you ask me. You have a car that has basically zero documentation presented on the auction site, but shill commenters from the beginning, a completely and I mean completely clueless seller, dude didn’t know how to drive the car or what transmission was in the car, or anything about the car, that supposedly paid a ton of money for the car then did a horrid, devaluing make over, a mystery engine rebuild - and btw if the engine was built by Alpina BUT then rebuilt is it still an Alpina engine?? - yet somehow this car makes a record sale?!? 

How does any of that add up or make sense is beyond me. Unless I am missing something, it’s just very suspect. I don’t get it. 

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

Holy crapping crap.

There are people with far too much money out there.

t

smacked rite in the gob

Theres your answer!

Couldn't have said it any better!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, JohnP_02 said:

"Nothing from this auction adds up or makes and sense to me. Unless I am missing something, it’s just very interesting. I don’t get it. "

Crazy money for some Alpina parts and a tii. Hard to say how much Alpina is actually left. 

Apparently the seller never noticed there was no fifth gear.

Edited by Hans
Clarity
  • Like 1

It's funny that car sold for 100k or more than if you were to gather all the parts and  assembled it yourself, probably takes a Alpina trained mechanic to put it all togeather and that's worth the extra 100k.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

For classic collectors, certain brands command dollars.  I don't want to say that Alpina = Shelby American, but there are similarities in the sense of tuning and then ultimately manufacturing.  No need to hash over Shelby.  Alpina though makes/made well designed tuning parts that NO ONE ELSE made on a pretty large scale.  They were proven.  They had/have an incredible brand.  Those parts and pieces which is extensive for 2002's all worked, worked well.  They backed it all up with racing, both with o2's and Cs/CsL's primarily.  This car for whatever reason commanded a really high premium - it had a numbers documented A4/s motor and Alpina front brakes + Bilstein 'yellow' setting struts.  That's it.  At the end of the day, it is what folks are willing to 'shill' out and in this case, it was a big number.  I figured this car at half that - given the build sheets that I have on it (most of the stuff that gets modified on the build sheet in this case was blank.....meaning they didn't use their parts).  Congrats I think to the buyer and seller.  Hopefully everyone is happy.

• Like 2

I agree that Alpina is a valued brand and their 02 parts work as well or better than any other brand, but those parts were always avalible over the counter as well as installed, are those cars any less Alpina than the ones they installed them selves assuming eaqual equipment?

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

8 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

are those cars any less Alpina than the ones they installed them selves assuming eaqual equipment?

Yes. At least in the eyes of most (all?) collectors. Let’s face it, collecting doesn’t make any logical sense or else we’d all be driving new fast Hondas. 

Also by all accounts Alpina was value added back in the day— in other words the sum was greater than the parts when a car went there. They did have the best technicians; they did have a ‘secret sauce’. Of course 50 years later how much is left of the sauce…

The fact that it went to Alpina and has Alpina numbers is worth a premium in this silly made up world of old BMWs. Is it worth $170,000? Hell no😄

• Like 3

Do you have the old seats? Do these strips come off?   30 minutes before it closed I didn’t think it would make $70k…

• Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I wonder if the folks who bid on this ever read these comments.   I suspect they must.  For $170K I would think you would want a perfect pedigree. And if you have this sort of cheddar, why not hold out for a turbo?

P.S. 

Watching a bit of the Guns of Naviaone. What a great movie. 

Edited by Dudeland
  • Like 3

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002