• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a stained headliner "white" again?

schuetz1619

One of the items in the old (1979) BMWnospaceCCA Tech Tips book was to use Comet cleanser and a fingernail brush.  Comet has bleach in it and will whiten stains.  Make a thin paste of the cleanser and gently scrub with the fingernail brush, wiping it off with a damp sponge as you do a section. 

I've used it in the past and it worked quite well, although messy as it'll drip on you (and the upholstery).  Use towels, wear a ball cap, and have a damp towel to wipe up drips.  

And a final caveat.  When this was written those headliners were only a few years old, so be gentle with the material now as it assuredly more brittle than in the 70s.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, Mike Self said:

And a final caveat.  When this was written those headliners were only a few years old, so be gentle with the material now as it assuredly more brittle than in the 70s.

3 hours ago, stephers said:

Brake kleen works quite well as well

Seriously?  That’s some powerful solvent

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Start with GOOP, escalate if and as needed. SEM paint if all else fails.

Best regards,

Steve

best approach , agree, gentle attempt to scrub and if that wont satisfy you, then commit to the dye spray paint.  with a thorough tape-masking and light fan coats of  paint with can held back from material some 20 inches or so.  I find the cans work better if you warm them up in a pitcher of hot  water, more even pressure.  do not attempt it without completely masking interior.  Remove visors , handles, light etc. 

We use Magic Eraser at work on hideously expensive projection screens.  

So if the milder suggestions don't work, it's worth a try.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL