• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So how does your tii run?

gwb72tii
Go to solution Solved by gwb72tii,

I'm starting to plan on a refurbish of my tii motor, partially due to me wiping out the right side of my car and the necessity of disassembling it for a repair/repaint. I'll have to take out the motor and am planning on replacing seals and stuff. I rebuilt the motor about ten years ago and mechanically it's fine. It has about 30,000 miles on it and burns zero oil.

I've seen various posts about the warm up regulator, MSD ignition etc. And some discussion about the tii motor. I am trying to form a baseline on how my motor should run after getting everything back together. My motor has a lot of torque, but in a discussion some years back another tii owner said a tii motor should perform similar to an M42. I've owned a couple of 318is cars and my tii motor is nothing like an M42.

So for you tii owners, how would you describe how your car runs?

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

I've only owned one Tii, but many, many 2002's and currently a BMW 318IS (M42).  The motor in my Tii seemed smoother with no drop in power as you wind it through the gears.  Faster than my stock cars, with none of the flat spots you can experience with carbs, just smooth power and torque that seems to have no end.  The M42 in my 318IS still supplies the smooth power and torque, but in larger quantities.  

Your baseline is how your motor is performing now.  How does it perform when you are driving it?  Does it wind effortlessly through the gears without issue, or does it hesitate or miss during pulls.  What does it do when you approach redline in any gear?  Does it seem to want more or does it sound unhappy.  You can use a Dyno app on your phone to get some number to compare when you make changes.

Before you pull your motor, do compression and leak-down tests to confirm it is in good health, then reseal it.  I would verify that the fuel pump delivery pressure was in spec, the K-Fish output was in spec and the injectors were functioning correctly.  Then I would look at your ignition, map the advance curve of your distributor and check it against stock, replace the points, condenser, cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires.  Adjust the valves to spec and call it a day

When your car is back together, you can begin to make changes to your baseline engine to improve its performance.  There is little to do on the cam and fuel delivery side, so most of your improvements will come from the ignition side (123 Ignition Distributor) until you start down the slope of engine mods (pistons, lighter flywheel, valve train, exhaust, etc.).

IMHO,

Mark92131

73200221.JPG

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

All good suggestions. I am not interested in modifying the motor. We originally bought the tii in 2003, and it was in need of being restored, cosmetically and mechanically. The only thing I have not done is to go through the fuel injection system, at all. I cleaned up the WUR, but that's it so the system is basically untouched since the car was manufactured in July of 1972.

I have wanted to send in the K-fish and injectors for restoration and now have an excuse to do so. I have been happy with the power of the motor, and its torque, I just have had no reference other than my car for what a tii motor should drive like.

The 318is is my fave BMW for driving, and I think the M42 is pretty much the best BMW motor of all the various BMW's I've owned through the years. That being said I am stuffing a Metric Mechanic motor in an e28 that I am restoring so I may change my mind!

• Like 1

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

4 hours ago, gwb72tii said:

The 318is is my fave BMW for driving, and I think the M42 is pretty much the best BMW motor of all the various BMW's I've owned through the years.

And enthusiastic +1...BMW's ads for the E30 318is, "the 2002 of the 90s" was spot on.  Mine drives like a refined 2002 but without the numbness of newer models.  Were I not so much a stickler for (at least visible) originality, I'd stick an M42 or M44 engine in my 02 and enjoy all that revving...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

The motor in my Tii seemed smoother with no drop in power as you wind it through the gears.  Faster than my stock cars, with none of the flat spots you can experience with carbs, just smooth power and torque that seems to have no end. 

Smooth power with torque about sums it up.

• Like 1

Owning both a tii and 318is, I’d have to say the tii has the better engine.

It depends on the configuration of the car and the engine’s health.

The engine in my tii is original to the car and has 2nd oversized pistons and the head has been milled to the minimum thickness.  At higher rpm’s, it always wants to go faster, even with the Getrag 245 trans and 3.91 diff.  The 318is engine has never been rebuilt, so perhaps the timing chain components and piston rings are not providing optimal performance.

In both engines, it is key to have the fuel injectors clean and working properly.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My tii is my first and only 2002. As a matter of fact, it was my first BMW ever. After the restoration, my impressions and that of my car guy son was that it handles like a dream. "Like a Miata" was his response.

As for the engine, smooth and uninterrupted power supply is an apt description, but it's not a fast car. Responsive yes, fast no. Our four valve per cylinder Focus from 2006 is miles better speed and handling wise. The tii reminds me of the two 912's I've owned, engine wise.

It's a "slow car fast", with all that goes with it. 

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

gwb,

Here is a baseline for you, seriously:  quick start even after a two-month of not running > immediate smooth idle @ 1,100 > 2-3 minutes to a smooth idle @ 850 > quick warm-up to a smoothly running engine throughout the rpm range.  That's how mine ran after I picked it up at Deluxe Cleaners.

This post and the aforementioned posts all seem to characterize the same baseline:  smooth cranking, idle, cruising, and acceleration.  ...almost like it was...uh...fuel injected.

Mike's comment ("...318is...a refined 2002...") might be a good description of a tii as well.

Larry  

P9224151.thumb.JPG.f19012b614d1637400256c7626f2ef7e.JPG

• Like 2

The fun is in the wind up to higher RPMs. It keeps wanting more and makes for an exhilarating experience 

I rebuilt a tired tii original block with 10:1 compression pistons (121 head) and stock cam a couple of years back. 

Made for a huge difference in fun for me

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

You get half the benefits of EFI at twice the money!

fixed that for ya...  it's always in open- loop...

I am realizing-  I've never lived with the K-Fish.  Ahhh... something to do in the retirement I'll never have!

I think the M42 is pretty much the best BMW motor of all ….  until they came out with the M54

...and again!  

I too thought the M42 in an E30 was more playful than the M20. 

But in retrospect, that's like saying that

a pickup truck is more sporty than a tractor.   

The only problem with the M54 is that it came in heavy, soft cars

(and no, I've never had a Z Coupe, much to my chagrin)

So much to do in this mythical retirement.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

George,

give Wes Ingram a call, he and Herb can refresh your pump and injectors. They're Spica guys but like working on a KF

Long story short, my motor is now pushing 30+ years since Leif Anderberg rebuilt it with an e12 head and 292 cam that resulted in the car running lean. Wes installed his linkage to address the leanness.  Last compression test years ago was in the 190s. 

About 10+ years ago I put in a MSD and noticed that starts fired quicker (Petronix installed 15+ years ago?).  About 8 years ago (?) i had Wes rebuild an A4 system. I then had Patrick put a new exhaust in and then I had Wes install the A4. 

The car runs beautifully and you can't beat the lightness of the '02. 

cheers 

• Like 2

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii