• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling market

Karlosism

Last 2 Tii's on BaT did not reach reserve (sub 30K) and another one sold for 36K 

Seems like right now the 74' Tii market value is about 25-30K for a driver and maybe a 30-35K for a really nice driver. 

Roundies probably add another $3-5K

Seems like prices fluctuate with overall stock market? 

=====================

74' 2002tii (Polaris silver)

66' Porsche 912 (Metallic silver)  

I have a tii that didn't meet reserve some months back either. Oddly enough, the auction ended when Biden announced mandatory vaccines for all federal employees and companies with >100 employees. The market tanked that day. 

Of the many factors, that was coincidental but I believe held some weight to the outcome of my auction. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

The ‘74 Taiga tii that just sold isn’t the best barometer re: current mkt values for a # of reasons IMHO: 

While the restoration was pretty comprehensive, the quality of the paint/bodywork leaves something to be desired. On top of that, there are some details which need attending to and then of course the salvage title (which I guess is a concern for some), even though the car’s history explains that quite clearly. Lastly, while the pix weren’t bad, they weren’t that great either; they all appeared to be taken on a phone. 

• Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Deep down inside, who of us really cares?  Did you buy/repair/restore/refurbish/your 2002 to make a big wad of cash on it, or didja just get it to enjoy?  Yeah, it would be nice to make a little money over and above what you put into the car, but isn't that just icing on the cake? 

Remember that an incoming tide floats all boats, so selling yours to buy another (unless you're really lucky) will mean you're gonna spend more for the replacement. 

Hopefully these rising prices won't drive all '02 owners to carefully garage and cover their cars rather than enjoying 'em on the road--this is what happened to 356 and 911 Porsches...

mike

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The problem with auctions, any auction but in particular BaT, there are so many factors at play that you really have to look at the wide spectrum of results to really say if the market is cool. That Taiga 2002tii today lacked a certain attention to detail for top dollar but its main downfall was the social media aspect to BaT auctions. A number of people brought up the title issue and no matter what the seller did to answer people's questions the taint stuck.

There are always going to be cars that sell for a lot more and a lot less than expected, but if you look at the splatter graph of BaT sales (attached here) the trajectory is up. Same with the base model cars where of the 12 auctioned in December four were over $40k. Of the three auctions under 20k, two were automatics and one was not ready to be sold and should have been listed as a project.

That said nothing goes up forever so could this be a bellwether? We will just have to see.

15723818358d9d4c2f636BMW-2002tii-For-Sal
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Browse and bid online for the chance to own a BMW 2002tii at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.
IMGP0836.jpg
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Browse and bid online for the chance to own a BMW 2002 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

2002tii sales.jpg

• Like 1

Given the world over the last couple of years, who knows where prices will end up, up, down,  stagnant??

I’d guess eventually they will just keep rising, hopefully I will never need to sell mine. Anyway it will be driven, enjoyed, sworn at, parked in the rain and repaired when needed.

Best thing, money can never replace the smiles per hour I get driving it.

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Given the world over the last couple of years, who knows where prices will end up, up, down,  stagnant??

I’d guess eventually they will just keep rising, hopefully I will never need to sell mine. Anyway way it will be driven, enjoyed, sworn at, parked in the rain and repaired when needed.

Restoring mine simply for the smiles and its a 73 Tii Taiga as well. As for this one like 1936Spyder, several things jump out: hood line doesn't match up well with the door beltline on the driver side but does on the pass, repro fenders for sure given how the driver and passenger side turn indicator fits, clear repairs to the trunk shock towers, lack of images on all repairs/restoration done, no underside floor pan images, I can see the receipt on the engine documentation but show the details and the list goes on. All that combined with the salvage title keep this car from being the mid-tier we'd expect it to be. Just my .02

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
sp
  • Like 3

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix

10 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I’d guess eventually they will just keep rising, hopefully I will never need to sell mine. Anyway it will be driven, enjoyed, sworn at, parked in the rain and repaired when needed.

Absolutely. My blue car was a daily for 10+ years for me. Rain or shine, highway, city, everything. It's partially disassembled for painting at the moment (been that way for 5 years, cough cough) but when its done I'll continue to drive it. Both my kids learned on stick ('84 vanagon, '88 integra, '91 318is) and they will drive it too. Fleet vehicle as I say around here.

Here it is when I would routinely drive to Houston. Literally just outside La Grange (for you ZZ fans).
2002.thumb.JPG.3bff90c67e4d56bd349ff4923312888c.JPG

Posted photo to remind myself to get off my butt and get it done.

These cars are for driving!

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 8

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

1 hour ago, JsnPpp said:

Absolutely. My blue car was a daily for 10+ years for me. Rain or shine, highway, city, everything. It's partially disassembled for painting at the moment (been that way for 5 years, cough cough) but when its done I'll continue to drive it. Both my kids learned on stick ('84 vanagon, '88 integra, '91 318is) and they will drive it too. Fleet vehicle as I say around here.

Here it is when I would routinely drive to Houston. Literally just outside La Grange (for you ZZ fans).
2002.thumb.JPG.3bff90c67e4d56bd349ff4923312888c.JPG

Posted photo to remind myself to get off my butt and get it done.

These cars are for driving!

That's Baikal?   dlm ny country