• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I a weirdo for talking to other 02 strangers?

JHouser

@JHouser sorry to hear that. 

No, you're not weird. Maybe that guy was having a bad day?

As a fellow PNWer I feel ya, the Seattle Chill shows up in the weirdest places. But for the most part, I've found that other 02 folks in our area are more than happy to talk cars, especially if the other person is another owner. 

Hope to run in to you at some point out and about... not literally of course ?.

Cheers, James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I have never encountered an 02 dipshit. The worst that anyone has ever said to me is: “What is it?” Instead, I have encountered lots of admirers and their stories of long ago 02 ownership. 
However, sometimes SUV owners will pull alongside and literally look down on my 2002. They can’t help but look disdainful from my much lower vantage point!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

4 hours ago, NYNick said:

The guy was a jerk.

Or possibly just having a bad day.

Aside from another Faqqer I sold a set of seats to here, I have only seen 1 other 02 here since I returned from Germany in 2016.

It was recently, in a shopping center parking lot, a lovely roundie in I believe the "other dark green"

Freshly washed and gleaming like a gem, I spotted it right away. As I passed in front of him I waved and gave a thumbs up, He did respond(waved) but appeared a bit annoyed.

Probably because he was concentrating on finding a parking spot  and I was after all, in my Kia?

Would have stopped and tried to talk, flash a pic of my pride and joy but I was on the way out.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I place partial blame to the 2002 growing in popularity to the point where non-02 people buy them on the basis of the "image".  It's bound to happen, but hardly defines the typical (super awesome and friendly) 2002 owner.

When I first got into 2002's I was amazed by how many owners were engineers and/or skilled technicians.

• Like 1

I have enough trouble trying to get my neighbors to wash their cars- let alone talk about them.  One has a relatively new Black Tesla S that stays outside. It’s never been washed.

Edited by jgerock
  • Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

15 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I place partial blame to the 2002 growing in popularity to the point where non-02 people buy them on the basis of the "image".  It's bound to happen, but hardly defines the typical (super awesome and friendly) 2002 owner.

When I first got into 2002's I was amazed by how many owners were engineers and/or skilled technicians.

Yea, I’m sure it was a combo of newer owner, “this guy is trying to jack my car”, had a bad day. Just a funny off response as these cars are such a hard thing to own at this point in time that I’m stoked to talk to any 02 owner. 
I look at every local 02 owner as a collaborator in keeping these cars on the road. Who knows. I may one the fuel sender he may need. Haha 

• Like 1

- Jonathan

co-owner of a 73 M2 project

Insta: @peanut_the2002

@hou5er

44 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Or possibly just having a bad day.

Nah, I'm sticking with jerk.

I have never, and I mean ever, run into anybody who wasn't willing to talk about their car or happy to get a thumbs up. I like all types of cars; antique, classic or new. I find people who like them too are willing to take the time to talk about them or at least give us a smile.

A stuck up 02 owner? Impossible.

Unless of course, he's a jerk.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

As most  I get lots of questions about it. I'm positive it being Orange is a factor also.  Some have no Idea what it is.

Twice I've had people think its a Fiat, others know exactly what it is or have owned one in college or military.

One gentleman followed me to the Post Office and politely asked he could look at it and ask me a few questions.

We had a great 15 minute conversation, he had a rust bucket in college but loved it. I thought it was funny cause he looked to be thirty at most.  I think it made both are days. 

One that baffles me  going back a few year to the mid 70's,  is you could not pass or see another BMW driving down the road with them flashing their lights and a wave for good measure. Today it's a different story. I can appreciate that "back when" there was only a few models but should you drive,  pass one or pull  up beside one the many hundred models and all you get a blank stare or nothing at all. If you do get acknowledged,  I swear its only because your car is such a weird colour.   I have been told by friends in the industry that here in Vancouver we have one of the highest per capita of BMW owners. Most of who have no appreciation of the brands history apart from the snotty nosed millennials who typically pull up on my ass only to blow by in his his tricked out M3....so sad. 

On the bright side I too have spent more than a few minutes talking to people almost ever time either filling up or grabbing a coffee.  Most of whom were past owners back in the day or repenting for selling their car too soon. On the road its a lot of   ? pedestrians and drivers alike. But what  I am most thankful for is our community and  the handful of owners here and a very appreciative e30 crowd, otherwise I think I would be loosing the faith.

I'm honest: 02 encounters here (germany) I am a bit hesistant too and wait for the people to come out first.

Those cars had a bad time in the 80's/90's and every jerk was cutting them up and adding testarossa flares with subsequent metalflake paint. I do not want to listen to them telling me about their 220 HP tti (yess tti not tii) - those people are not my cup of tea. However when they haven't had their experience in the 80's I'm all in.

• Like 1

Cars and Coffees are usually a great place to strike up a conversation and show your pride and joy. My wife and I met another couple who were there with their freshly restored ‘02. We introduced ourselves and we’re given a brief walk around, and when we mentioned that our ‘02 was just a stone throws away, they showed no interest in taking a look. I certainly felt disappointment, as I see these interactions as an opportunity to share a common interest and perhaps make new friends. In this case, I guess not. 

• Sad 1