• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cv joints done!

golf02

I re-did mine a few months back. Never heard of 'clocking' in any of the articles I read....(unfortunately).  Don't have a factory manual any longer.  I really do not want to take those sucka's apart.  Messy job and took more time than I had anticipated.

they also drilled a hole through the center of the shaft for weight reduction and added strength. -KB

Having drilled holes through a lot of things, I have to say that any time I drill a hole, I create a LOT of stress raisers.

And the rotating mass at the center of a shaft is negligible.  The unsprung weight may not be, however.

Back to 'clocking'-  I DO get how a Rzeppa cage and center need to be aligned if it's a non- parallel design.

Most Rzeppas have 6 balls, so if they're parallel, they repeat every 60 degrees, or non- parallel

at 120 in their motion.  So to be 'clocked' together as a pair, they're aligned?  Offset 30?

missing it, since they're 'constant',

t

2 pictures because when you're lost, you look for things on the internet.  Here are inner (parallel, with plunge)

and outer (non- parallel, can't plunge)

And the third one should be obvious...

plunger.jpg

non parallel.jpg

parallel.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just now, markmac said:

I really do not want to take those sucka's apart.  Messy job and took more time than I had anticipated.

Don't worry about it.  It's really only a concern on dune buggies and other off-road vehicles AFAIK.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

46 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Having drilled holes through a lot of things, I have to say that any time I drill a hole, I create a LOT of stress raisers.

And the rotating mass at the center of a shaft is negligible.  The unsprung weight may not be, however.

Such things are beyond my pay grade. I know they were obsessed with weight reduction, as evidenced by the leftover titanium suspension bits and engine case bolts, etc, floating around the shop. I get to hear some interesting stories about those days of racing. -KB

Ah yes.  I noticed that in the schematic and in the Haynes manual too. Before I put it back together I searched many pictures on this forum and saw most have the bolts installed from the top and since it came apart that way, I went with it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, E60coyote said:

I noticed that in the schematic and in the Haynes manual too. Before I put it back together I searched many pictures on this forum and saw most have the bolts installed from the top and since it came apart that way, I went with it. 

Mine was this way as well

IMG_6045.JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

1 hour ago, E60coyote said:

Ah yes.  I noticed that in the schematic and in the Haynes manual too. Before I put it back together I searched many pictures on this forum and saw most have the bolts installed from the top and since it came apart that way, I went with it. 

Same here - was also thinking that if for some reason the nuts came loose, you would see it - not so much with the nuts on the top.  Would love to know if there is a good reason for nuts on top.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I can't see a mechanical reason for those fasteners to be directional, it probably has to do with the way the parts were laid out when they built the sub-assembly, I don't know for sure but I'd bet just about anything they mounted the rear sub assembly whole.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I think they put the nuts on top so they rust to the bolts over time, poor mans locktite.

generally I put the nuts up on all suspension fasteners as the are less likely to be damaged by driving over debris Or bent by bottoming out. A bolt head just scrapes, a threaded section bends over the nut and is a ton of fun to remove.

• Like 1

I use threaded rod so I can have nuts on both ends...

"differential studs"- 

'I used studs on my head'

'did you use them on the diff, too?'

heh

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 5/26/2020 at 7:11 PM, Buckeye said:

Very nice! May I suggest replacing those shitty clamps with this. Ask me why and believe me I am not affiliated with BELMETRIC.

Buckeye:

Do you need a special tool to snug those Pirate CV Clamps?

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)