• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

4 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Is that a crunchy passenger side radius rod bushing circled in green in this photo? 

Danco Q-Project.jpeg

It sure is satisfying seeing this come along so quickly.  Thanks for sharing so many photos.

Tom

nope, radius bushing on both sides are in good working order. They remain rubber and uncompromised. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 4/3/2020 at 1:17 AM, danco_ said:

As for the battery, there was no need. I bought the correct tii battery - the 26R (size).

Can you share the details on that?  The brand, where you bought it, etc.  

Thanks and sorry for the minor detour off topic.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

@danco_ Hope I'm not interrupting the thread here but just couldn't resist saying that you are bringing a very educational and entertaining story here in this time of quarantine and lack of events. Thanks to you and many contributors .

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, saaron said:

Scott

Scott - I just installed a new 26R Everstart battery from Walmart. It was $69.95. The only things I ever buy from Walmart are car batteries and Mobil1 it seems.

• Thanks 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

14 minutes ago, dirving said:

@danco_ Hope I'm not interrupting the thread here but just couldn't resist saying that you are bringing a very educational and entertaining story here in this time of quarantine and lack of events. Thanks to you and many contributors.

+1

We expect as much from Ryan. And he rarely disappoints... ??

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, saaron said:

Scott

Walmart! Like @FunElan said. The 26R is my go-to for all Tii batteries. 

2 hours ago, dirving said:

@danco_ Hope I'm not interrupting the thread here but just couldn't resist saying that you are bringing a very educational and entertaining story here in this time of quarantine and lack of events. Thanks to you and many contributors .

Please interrupt as you see fit. I'm not here to be serious. I'm here to make jokes and very lightly offend people while promoting quality quarantine pseudo-restoration work. 

2 hours ago, FunElan said:

Scott - I just installed a new 26R Everstart battery from Walmart. It was $69.95. The only things I ever buy from Walmart are car batteries and Mobil1 it seems.

That's it!

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

+1

We expect as much from Ryan. And he rarely disappoints... ??

Regards,

Steve

I'm a giver. 

More noteworthy progress on the car. I'll update later today. 

• Haha 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 5/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, g_force said:

^This^

I have MCS non-remotes on my e36 track car, and they are magic....One caveat is I don't know how either the MCS or AST will hold up to the miles.  I know a bunch of folks with the ASTs that developed leaks quickly and needed rebuilds.  My MCS don't have many miles on them, because the car is a dedicated track car.  Rebuilds aren't tough, but they are still a little work.

I've done a lot of fitment work for MCS and put them on our own shop cars, as well as hundreds of customer cars. They don't make a 2002 fitment, but they will work with your provided strut housing to build a set like they do for the E28, E30 and early 911 models.

As for longevity, they have been so much better than the AST dampers. I've had customers go five years of dual-duty (street and track) before rebuilding them. It makes me cringe to go that long, but people have been doing it without issue.

• Like 2

Engineer at https://vorshlag.com

Ryan- viewing the road-side pics, please tell us you installed an exhaust support at the header.  Did the car come with poly bushings?

ps: thanks for reminding me of the tii part provenance 

pps: Love this car.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

This car IS awesome.  Last time I hit Walmart to get a battery they didn’t have the correct one, so I had to improvise a bit.  Good to know they still stock it.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

13 hours ago, modernbeat said:

They don't make a 2002 fitment, but they will work with your provided strut housing to build a set like they do for the E28, E30 and early 911 models.

Indeed, they built a set for irdave.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

16 hours ago, modernbeat said:

I've done a lot of fitment work for MCS and put them on our own shop cars, as well as hundreds of customer cars. They don't make a 2002 fitment, but they will work with your provided strut housing to build a set like they do for the E28, E30 and early 911 models.

As for longevity, they have been so much better than the AST dampers. I've had customers go five years of dual-duty (street and track) before rebuilding them. It makes me cringe to go that long, but people have been doing it without issue.

I really like the guys out there. But to be honest, they (MCS shocks) are really for the 'way too much is just barely enough' crowd.

This was the first set of 2wnr made for the 2002 a little bit ago, on tii spindles. This set is on its way out to CA for an incredibly nice M2. Only reason I took them off is because my new car uses different suspension...

IMG_20200509_094924.jpg

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

For a street car that isn't tracked, I'd agree. But for a true competition car, MCS fills the 15% to 85% range. There are some bargain basement parts that people track, but have serious compromises. And there are some higher tech dampers that provide more performance at an enormous price over the MCS.

The flip side to that is that we use some other brands for pure street, or dual-duty street/track cars. But by the time you build them out with the dampers, springs, ride height adjusters, camber plates, shortened end links, etc... those other high quality setups built for a different purpose approach or surpass the price of an entry level MCS kit. The price doesn't reflect the purpose (race or street), it reflects the quality.

But yes, again, they are an expensive setup for what might be an inexpensive street car. And the performance they deliver is not geared towards street use. I try to steer 100% street cars towards some of the Ohlins or Bilstein parts.

Also, now that I know they've already done a 2002 set, I won't have to grovel when I start talking to them about doing a set for me. ?

Edited by modernbeat
  • Like 2

Engineer at https://vorshlag.com

3 hours ago, modernbeat said:

Also, now that I know they've already done a 2002 set, I won't have to grovel when I start talking to them about doing a set for me. ?

They've done at least 2...  There's another guy on here that has the same set, and someone else got in touch about my set (just sold) so I'm going to have MCS call them Monday.  Got them working the same deal for the e30m3...  :)

Total thread-jack, sorry bud.  Geeking out on dampers.  Good dampers really do make that much of a difference.  :)  Big kiss.  Your car is really looking great- I can get you a deal on some of the Eibach Pro-Kit springs- work really good, nice ride, nice height.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.