• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

On 6/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, danco_ said:

Finally got around to wrapping up the stereo system. 

I was up late one night and came across a potential good "hidden" bluetooth system for our old cars. It comes with a bluetooth amp, no head unit, all the modern plug ins, four speakers, and subwoofer RCA plug ins. Even comes with a wired remote that you don't have to use. Everything is controlled from your phone and integration is seamless. 

I saw the "system" on Ebay for I think $275ish, but with the "make offer" button, I submitted an offer of $195 and it was accepted. I was now the proud owner of an experimental (and extremely simple) audio system. 

IMG_4825.PNG

I went ahead and purchased a set of Kooglewerks under dash speaker pods as well to keep the install clean and minimal. 

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

And now time to wire it all up. This was VERY straight forward and easy. Took all of 30 minutes to install the wiring portion and confirm that it works. 

IMG_4685.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

I located the two rear speakers under the rear seats since the holes were present and cutouts remained. Easy. I didn't take photos of this. 

Front speakers went in without a hitch and all wiring is tucked away neatly and hidden. 

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4812.JPG

I do have a neat little wired controller that I will mount up by the under dash panel near the left side of the center console. I'll have my friend whip up a nice mount via 3D printer and get that installed next week. That should conclude the front portion of the sound system. 

IMG_4830.jpg

I wired up RCA imputs to reach the rear seats. I'll likely order up a 6.5" sub using Jason's under seat sub enclosure system. That will truly conclude the audio system for this car. 

It sounds GREAT as is, but with the wired in RCA sub outputs, why not go the distance? 

How it looks from the rear bench: 

IMG_4831.jpg

Sure looks great. Clean and nothing is visible. The entire amp bluetooth unit tucks underneath the heater core system perfectly. 

I also managed to swap in a nice, clean lower rear bench portion. Once I find a proper top bench portion with good black or blue vinyl, I'll have my upholstery guy repad the lower bench seat and bless both portions. I'm on the hunt for good vinyl now. Trying to stay with the old stuff before I go out and buy the new vinyl. 

IMG_4833.jpg

I have cocoa mats on the way. I settled with a black/gray checkered pattern. I like the look. 

More to come! 

Great washer pic!

Yes, I've been away!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Great washer pic!

Yes, I've been away!

:D

It’s the most dependable machine in my life. Cleans my clothes of their sins, and provides useful surface area for building things. 

It also doesn’t complain. 

If my washing machine was a woman, I’d probably date her. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

19 hours ago, danco_ said:

It’s the most dependable machine in my life. Cleans my clothes of their sins, and provides useful surface area for building things. 

It also doesn’t complain. 

If my washing machine was a woman, I’d probably date her. 

Would you date her? Or friend-zone her hard?

d.

2 G & T's in

P.S.  Can you hear your radio while you're driving?  I'm doubt I would be able to hear anything over the motor and exhaust-

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 7:28 PM, irdave said:

Would you date her? Or friend-zone her hard?

d.

2 G & T's in

P.S.  Can you hear your radio while you're driving?  I'm doubt I would be able to hear anything over the motor and exhaust-

probably friend zone her. I need a little chaos in my life. 

I can hear the radio, yeah. Anything under 3rd gear pinned is fine. Anything above and I’m looking straight and going fast. 

I managed to swap out my alternator and cooling fan today. 

The alternator in the car was fine and worked great, but it was ugly. I had a spare tii alternator sent out for a bit of tweaking. Aside from being “rebuilt”, I had it juiced up to put out just over 100amps at peak. This probably wasn’t necessary, but at $185 for all the work, I didn’t mind. Now I have a pretty alternator installed and I can’t be mad at that. 

I went ahead and replaced the bushings too. 
9E6AF5B1-BC48-49F3-BE4D-9CE9FB19FAF3.jpeg

Gutted the old bushing material in prep for the IE poly bushings.

DD614933-83EF-4140-9A8E-01E07FFB8210.jpeg

Almost complete 

8661392B-3BAB-4C7E-BA9F-2F48BAF4FD92.jpeg

also managed to swap out the old cooling fan for a new, nice fan. No idea what was going on with the old fan, but the tips and ends were being chewed up considerably. Hopefully the new fan lasts. It’s the small of the two sizes. The non-tropical variant. 

94265FB5-F349-4E1B-8DDF-B4E771EECF3C.jpeg
E9C881D3-F2F2-47C2-9B2B-41B54A251E2C.jpeg

everything is back in and running great. 

next up, rebuild speedo gauge with correct speed read out (3.91lsd makes the speedo read about 10mph faster), swap one a new turn signal relay, and chase down an intermittent alternator light issue under the dash. Sometimes it stays on, sometimes it stays off. Need to fix this. 

• Like 4

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

2 hours ago, danco_ said:

next up, rebuild speedo gauge with correct speed read out (3.91lsd makes the speedo read about 10mph faster).....

Damn, and all this time I thought I had a fast car....

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

23347187-A30B-4495-8B94-35292CF894F5.jpeg
His favorite spot is riding passenger. I don’t blame him; this car has progressed far over the last few months. 

I managed to polish out most of the trim of its heavily oxidized anodized coating. 

before:

BA24F48D-D24F-4CE5-A421-DD344B2A5BCE.jpeg

after:

78820FB9-B7D0-422A-BDF2-3CC4160AD56D.jpeg

After a fresh bout of motivation from the polishing, I replaced the front and windshield gaskets, and threw a new front windshield in while I was at it. 

Before:

101234E6-3DDB-49C8-A1AF-D24547D35985.jpeg
86344C89-16BC-4D65-ADB1-F18308194F8E.jpeg

EAEFFBFA-6B6E-400C-8090-2EE08C65D620.jpeg

during:

1C2355CB-119C-4249-A38F-A7B31306C45B.jpeg

after:

0BD6C1D1-AC77-44AC-9B95-9DA089F62E73.jpeg

F68B0817-1B34-4CD2-B0FC-C8653659B6CB.jpeg

also decided to throw on a spare, new set of belt line trim I had in the garage. No regrets here. 
CDBD8FAA-B4AB-46BF-AF66-50302711D1A9.jpeg

7B0AD211-A100-496C-923B-A848F4BC4FD6.jpeg

with all this little work to the car, i came across a bunch of parts I’m going to utilize. How? Still not sure yet. 

Fresh e21 head, euro headlight buckets, etc:

5AC397A4-39D8-46F1-A484-33F56ABB116D.jpeg

FFC619E1-41CB-474C-8621-A76533EFEF27.jpeg

new sun visors

863D1119-52F1-4B49-A4EB-C7DE1EDC62EA.jpeg

nice, core e21 recaros:

DE20294E-207B-45E1-948E-BB5089A059D8.jpeg
extra g245 swap (not pictured),

and a spare set of new Ground Control coilovers, which I caved and installed. 

9A3C96AA-A9EF-4378-9DAD-C4CA80ADD2FE.jpeg

E07B657F-4BBD-4E80-8ECA-6D00EB9BAED6.jpeg

I’ve decided to step down from 205/60 tires, in favor of Pirelli C36 tires in 185/70. Those should go on next week, and I can lower the rear a hair more. 

All good progress, and more coming. 

• Like 8

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, 02Anders said:

I must say, you've done really, really well on this one.  The resurrection came out a treat... ?

Thank you! 

still at it. Doing my best to not overdue it. But man, I see some of these nicer 2002s, and I know I want another nice one here in the long term Garage. All my other ones don’t tug at my heart strings like this one does. I know Ive said that before, but I think this one is a true keeper. 

26 minutes ago, Leucadian said:

It's crazy how much you've accomplished on this car in a year.

How's the stereo holding up 9 months later?  Considering purchasing one for myself.

The Bluetooth stereo and it’s associated speakers are still kicking (and hard). I have yet to find a solution to adding a subwoofer under the rear seat. I know Bolt On Bliss has an option, but I already have a 5.25” speaker down in the bottom, and his fiberglass enclosure will interfere, so at the least, I’ll have to modify that. So either I buy his set up and modify it to work, or I just make something of my own design. 

But just for kicks, I have a spare set of Koogle’s under dash speaker panels with his speakers. Might save these for an inevitable future project. 
4262DEDE-3841-4DCB-94CF-9EB678F7AF52.jpeg

also accumulating spare wheels. 2 sets of steelies I built up, and a spare set of early tii alloys. 
C15596A9-AF2E-47DC-8A3B-5BA29A3D5D8B.jpeg

You don’t know til you know. 

• Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

4 hours ago, danco_ said:

Thank you! 

still at it. Doing my best to not overdue it. But man, I see some of these nicer 2002s, and I know I want another nice one here in the long term Garage. All my other ones don’t tug at my heart strings like this one does. I know Ive said that before, but I think this one is a true keeper. 

The Bluetooth stereo and it’s associated speakers are still kicking (and hard). I have yet to find a solution to adding a subwoofer under the rear seat. I know Bolt On Bliss has an option, but I already have a 5.25” speaker down in the bottom, and his fiberglass enclosure will interfere, so at the least, I’ll have to modify that. So either I buy his set up and modify it to work, or I just make something of my own design. 

But just for kicks, I have a spare set of Koogle’s under dash speaker panels with his speakers. Might save these for an inevitable future project. 
4262DEDE-3841-4DCB-94CF-9EB678F7AF52.jpeg

also accumulating spare wheels. 2 sets of steelies I built up, and a spare set of early tii alloys. 
C15596A9-AF2E-47DC-8A3B-5BA29A3D5D8B.jpeg

You don’t know til you know. 

You might find it under-thumping, but I make do with a little Kenwood KSC SW11 powered subwoofer under the back seat.  Doesn’t take up much room and synchs pretty well with the Koogle RFs.

• Thanks 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

You sure have been doing a lot of throwing!

You should see me at bowling. I throw the bowling ball like Kobe. I've only been banned from 6 bowling alleys so far.

3 minutes ago, 0257 said:

You might find it under-thumping, but I make do with a little Kenwood KSC SW11 powered subwoofer under the back seat.  Doesn’t take up much room and synchs pretty well with the Koogle RFs.

Our resident clown up above suggested this little guy :

https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_45913_JL_Audio_CP106LG-W3V3.aspx

He says it fits under the rear seat nicely and adds a nice kick to the current system. I'll oblige and buy this woofer. Can't hurt. 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards