• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

2 hours ago, radiocure said:

Nice stance, dig those RUF wheels as well.

I need to drive mine more. 1987 G50 Hot Rod. 

B8171B1C-6E4A-4460-9B1B-F8CC64616CA9.jpeg

I got it down to 2500 lbs and it has a properly spicy motor. She boogies. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

42 minutes ago, radiocure said:

Excellent, quite the weight reduction. Probably gives a club sport a run for its money.

Venetian blue right?

Well, back to about 2600ish # now. I put the heavy battery and spare tire back in. Turns out if you lighten the front too much, the car is imbalanced and pushing around 80mph turns can really make your butthole pucker something fierce. 

911s need weight up front. Lighten the back all you want, but don’t mess with the front weight. 

Venetian Blue ?

Edited by danco_
  • Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I’ve started to clean the car up a bit more. 

touch up paint and then blend in a few spots, but nothing invasive and overdone. 

I think I have a solution to clean up the underside of the hood pretty nicely - I’ll start that next week. 

I’m also finalizing a list for a simple amplifier and Bluetooth receiver to run the speakers. I might move the two front speakers currently located in the center console, underneath the dash via koogleworks under dash speaker panels. 

Right now I have three shorty center consoles to play with. Might run the one with the stock deck and center speaker with the rest of the audio equipment and allow them to run independently of one another. 
9AA80787-0122-49D5-A0F9-46A10DF70CD3.jpeg

And as she sits now. I’m running out of things to do!

74B99CA2-FFB3-4323-BFF1-0044B8A88830.jpeg

• Like 8

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 5/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, danco_ said:

Called a very skilled PDR guy to bang out a bunch of dents on the car.

Hey what was your experience with this?  My friend has an Inka '72 that has dents in just about every panel, including the roof!  But they aren't large or deep dents.  I was wondering how much this sort of the costs?  Is it by hour?

Thanks.

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

5 hours ago, saaron said:

Hey what was your experience with this?  My friend has an Inka '72 that has dents in just about every panel, including the roof!  But they aren't large or deep dents.  I was wondering how much this sort of the costs?  Is it by hour?

Thanks.

Scott

strongly recommend. 

my guy is well known around here. Does all the super high end cars. I suspect he employs a little witchcraft because the removes dents that I thought for sure were permanent. 

This is my guy’s IG: https://instagram.com/danielrhoads?igshid=1u53vyhe0ulnk

Good luck finding “the guy” in your area. He exists. 

• Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to wrapping up the stereo system. 

I was up late one night and came across a potential good "hidden" bluetooth system for our old cars. It comes with a bluetooth amp, no head unit, all the modern plug ins, four speakers, and subwoofer RCA plug ins. Even comes with a wired remote that you don't have to use. Everything is controlled from your phone and integration is seamless. 

I saw the "system" on Ebay for I think $275ish, but with the "make offer" button, I submitted an offer of $195 and it was accepted. I was now the proud owner of an experimental (and extremely simple) audio system. 

IMG_4825.PNG

I went ahead and purchased a set of Kooglewerks under dash speaker pods as well to keep the install clean and minimal. 

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

And now time to wire it all up. This was VERY straight forward and easy. Took all of 30 minutes to install the wiring portion and confirm that it works. 

IMG_4685.jpg

RenderedImage.JPG

I located the two rear speakers under the rear seats since the holes were present and cutouts remained. Easy. I didn't take photos of this. 

Front speakers went in without a hitch and all wiring is tucked away neatly and hidden. 

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4812.JPG

I do have a neat little wired controller that I will mount up by the under dash panel near the left side of the center console. I'll have my friend whip up a nice mount via 3D printer and get that installed next week. That should conclude the front portion of the sound system. 

IMG_4830.jpg

I wired up RCA imputs to reach the rear seats. I'll likely order up a 6.5" sub using Jason's under seat sub enclosure system. That will truly conclude the audio system for this car. 

It sounds GREAT as is, but with the wired in RCA sub outputs, why not go the distance? 

How it looks from the rear bench: 

IMG_4831.jpg

Sure looks great. Clean and nothing is visible. The entire amp bluetooth unit tucks underneath the heater core system perfectly. 

I also managed to swap in a nice, clean lower rear bench portion. Once I find a proper top bench portion with good black or blue vinyl, I'll have my upholstery guy repad the lower bench seat and bless both portions. I'm on the hunt for good vinyl now. Trying to stay with the old stuff before I go out and buy the new vinyl. 

IMG_4833.jpg

I have cocoa mats on the way. I settled with a black/gray checkered pattern. I like the look. 

More to come! 

Edited by danco_
accidentally a word
  • Like 4

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

On 6/14/2020 at 1:37 PM, BGB said:

Super rad build man!! The patina is really spot on. Really enjoy reading through the thread

Thanks!! More progress up and coming. 

finally had a chance to swap in the fresh LSD I had built up using e36 innards. Much stronger, but most importantly, all fresh clutches and bearings and way prettier. 

There is nothing wrong with the LSD in my car now, but I had to the opportunity to swap in a much prettier diff, and rebuild the half shafts at the same time, so that’s what I did. 

photos of new diff, 02, rear cover, and re-drilled output flanges:

479BFBAC-AEDE-4E06-9FCD-126EF668B08F.jpeg

51A170CE-E4A3-4725-B33F-5F3E8F92A5DE.jpeg
B6095BD5-33CA-41D4-AF17-E6EB6A52402B.jpeg

here is the old diff coming out. 
894665C7-681D-448E-99CF-DDA5ECE3B72D.jpeg

quick shot of the two diffs together on the ground. You can see my poor attempt at using Mo’s LSD “S” stencil. I botched up myself; it had nothing to do with Mo’s stencil. I was able to clean it up nicely before it went in. 

B13F6E87-8ED8-4E3D-86AE-40B15E3EA68A.jpeg

the half shafts we’re starting to bleed and a thin bead of grease was starting to spray out close to the stub axles on the driver side. Aside from that, the axle boots were held on with what look like beefy zip ties. I wanted to fix this. 

BONUS: whoever did the LSD swap originally on this car, used e21 half shafts and did it right. No need for a spacer or re-drilled flanges.

C076BC51-2855-4CD8-8F95-585552FFF9D8.jpeg

353ECC33-3F56-4678-A9FD-B3497463A7E7.jpeg

I made the last minute decision to swap out diff output flanges since I didn’t need to use spacers, thus negating the need for re-drilled (for 8mm 2002-specific half shafts) flanges. I will give the next caretaker of my old diff the re-drilled flanges along with the spacers and longer bolts, for a truly turn-key LSD swap. 

723AFFC8-4D52-4C1A-BA18-7A0C9C2C79A6.jpeg

I upgraded hardware where I could. The swap went in smoothly and with no issues. 

I also worked with Tony to change my outer tie rods and center link. The tie rod boots were both leaking and I am chasing down a mild 85mph shimmy (could be wheels but first, let’s change things that need changing). Progress is progress! Next up, alignment. 

A2EEEB40-06F5-425E-AB37-BE9623F08428.jpeg

more to come next week!

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards