• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarantine Build Thread - 71 Colorado 02

danco_

On 3/30/2020 at 9:01 AM, saaron said:

Great to see you again, Ryan.  I miss the IG tii peel-out videos.

I know how you feel - I'm starting to line up bigger projects, because there is time to be used - preferably constructively.  I'll probably learn how to adjust valves next.  

I agree w/the other posters re the airbox.  Looks like there wasn't enough measuring done before cutting.  

Can't find the Roudel article where they tried different tii intake arrangements.  I can only find this little clip of the results.  It was a cool article - thought I had the whole thing.

Scott

Tii intake Roundel Article.png

That is from Klaus Schnitzer’s article using his personal tii.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 3/30/2020 at 4:12 AM, irdave said:

For sure if your tii engine is stock-ish, that airbox really is tuned for the engine.  Changing the volume of that thing could have a noticeable effect on engine performance.

Easiest best answer might be that hot-rod engine on the stand...  Or manual brakes.  And your spare airbox.

I took your advice and went after a stock tii airbox. If these engines are as sensitive as you say, there is no sense it trying to beat the engineers at BMW. I'm thinking I'll need to figure out with dizzy I have and remedy that as well, assuming what I have no is incorrect.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:01 AM, saaron said:

Great to see you again, Ryan.  I miss the IG tii peel-out videos.

I know how you feel - I'm starting to line up bigger projects, because there is time to be used - preferably constructively.  I'll probably learn how to adjust valves next.  

I agree w/the other posters re the airbox.  Looks like there wasn't enough measuring done before cutting.  

Can't find the Roudel article where they tried different tii intake arrangements.  I can only find this little clip of the results.  It was a cool article - thought I had the whole thing.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

This car came with an LSD so I'm going to be doing plenty of need4speed drifts in this one, once it's running and proper. I'm getting close.

On 3/30/2020 at 6:32 AM, Gordon said:

Ryan, what's the VIN of the motor?  Keep the updates coming, it's good quarantine therapy.  I just pulled my tii out of winter hibernation yesterday and I need to pull the heater box. I'm dreading it, one of the suckiest jobs of 02 ownership, especially when you are 6'3".

I went and got this photo, just for you. Looks like 2768703

IMG_3319.thumb.jpg.4422657651a63b93cb8aa887299fe21d.jpg

On 3/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, 02Anders said:

@02Andersthis was your quote, but not sure where it went. But I wanted to properly answer your question below: 

Staying off topic... Ryan, what do you fly, if I may ask?
I haven't flown a piston-engined aircraft since 2009, but have recently been dreaming about revalidating my license.  It's such good fun!  But it's just one of those things which I keep postponing.  I guess I just struggle to find the motivation when I spend so much of my time in those big, fat jets...

As for your engine...  It might just be me stubbornly sticking to my oldschool ways, but I can't help but feel that the patinated Colorado paint, the pre-'71 bumpers and a set of sexy 3-piece Alpina alloys all beg for that hot-rod M10 engine you have stashed away.  Oh, and may I suggest a set of gurgling 40mm DCOE's to complete the picture?  ?

Thanks! 

I started with a 1982 Beechcraft Skipper. A small 100hp 2-place little airplane that tops out at 120kts. It was so much fun and the name suited it perfectly; the Skipper. I could fly from orange county to Santa Barbara in about 30 min with no wind. It was perfect. Being that it was a low-wing airplane, it sharpened me up pretty quick. Now I'm in a Piper Arrow with a complex and high performance endorsements.   Go revalidate your license! Where are you located? 

I hear you on the real prorities: that hot m10. The hot rod engine is getting a top secret injection system. I will unveil it when it's ready. This virus really put a stop to my progress there. 

On 3/31/2020 at 6:23 AM, jgerock said:

I JUST sold my original 73tii air cleaner to someone on FB Vintage page!

No worries, I found one locally for $120. Easy peasy. 

Regarding the air cleaner saga, I figured I can mount a factory air cleaner with only modifications to the mounting brackets and a small spacer on the left-most bracket. Turns out I was right. 

Quick mock up with the newly acquired air box: 

IMG_3345.thumb.jpg.eb42edcf48e109ecc3858427e0909e1b.jpg

And with a few cuts to the left-most bracket, and a small half inch spacer, I was able to mount it for a better idea. So far so good.

IMG_3350.thumb.jpg.c00e0e83c6945d42b2d5afa327553f92.jpgIMG_3351.thumb.jpg.bdad0684b8997ce686a1b61961afb736.jpg

I'll disassemble, strip, and refinish the airbox over the weekend me thinks. I'm just glad that it's in, clearances are good (but tight), and that I didn't have to do additional cutting or welding. I do however want to change both motor mounts. I won't be surprised if things changed locations after that. But I'm prepared. I have three sets of brackets to modify and manipulate if needed.

I also had another crack and deep cleaning the engine bay with the degreaser and pressure washer. Progress is being made. 

Oh, I also repainted the white battery tray to the proper colorado orange. 

Things are happening. 

IMG_3309.thumb.jpg.1200f42dd4cfc7bc23369ce179caff49.jpgIMG_3312.thumb.jpg.11d738c029f7a7245c24e9c25e5db3e1.jpgIMG_3317.thumb.jpg.1586621d80d0898d96423d7035e43dfb.jpg

Edited by danco_
  • Like 5

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I think someone had the same fitment problem on my tii transplant. Which is how it ended up with this monstrosity.

Ryan-- tempted to move the battery and make more room?

Anyone-- ever mounted a tii air box with an Alpina type bracket on the shock tower?

DSC03693.jpg

17 minutes ago, mccusername said:

I think someone had the same fitment problem on my tii transplant. Which is how it ended up with this monstrosity.

Anyone-- ever mounted a tii air box with an Alpina type bracket on the shock tower?

DSC03693.jpg

twins!

forrest was making mounts to adapt tii air boxes to non tii cars, no idea if that’s still going on. See the comments on this post for details. 

4A83353B-09E5-47A9-BA7C-F6EC09C48727.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mccusername said:

DSC03693.jpg

Your photo brings me back to my 74 tii with this airbox. I immediately ripped it out and put the factory air box back in.

81071139_enginebay.thumb.jpg.673d6f42e8c96ab8b93089216f47709e.jpg

tii_-24.thumb.jpg.ebdb12992b2eb7f3ff3ad92e14ec5542.jpgtii_-31.thumb.jpg.0efdf45092c8b6740b83eb264f57fbc5.jpg

I think making whatever modifications necessary to fit the stock air cleaner is worth it. Don't hesitate; get rid of that goofy air filter. 

As for the battery, there was no need. I bought the correct tii battery - the 26R (size). This battery pushed up against the radiator support and locked down gives plenty of room for the air cleaner. No issue there. And I'm running the non-tii brake booster. Still fits fine and no interference with any of the other systems in the engine bay.

33 minutes ago, Mike G said:

twins!

forrest was making mounts to adapt tii air boxes to non tii cars, no idea if that’s still going on. See the comments on this post for details. 

4A83353B-09E5-47A9-BA7C-F6EC09C48727.jpeg

You too! 

Edited by danco_
  • Like 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

52 minutes ago, danco_ said:

And I'm running the non-tii brake booster. Still fits fine and no interference with any of the other systems in the engine bay.

Good job. This bit make me confused. I paid way too much for the tii booster thinking it was the only chance!

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

19 hours ago, danco_ said:

I went and got this photo, just for you. Looks like 2768703

IMG_3319.thumb.jpg.4422657651a63b93cb8aa887299fe21d.jpg

2763703 would be more realistic since 2764521 was the last 73 tii for the US market.

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Good job. This bit make me confused. I paid way too much for the tii booster thinking it was the only chance!

Life often makes no sense. But that doesn't stop us from continuing on with the journey.

I remember reading a few times here on the FAQ that you can run a tii air cleaner with a standard booster and I have not disputed it. 

My car is a running testament that it could be done. Next up is to change the motor mounts so those can be crossed off the list of "things to do while you're in there". Might even throw in a smaller, lighter starter because I have it on the shelf - an SR22 unit or whatever they are called. 

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

2763703 would be more realistic since 2764521 was the last 73 tii for the US market.

Me thinks you are correct.

I just checked the VIN on the hot m10 motor and it's also an m10 block with VIN: 2761247

I knew it was a tii block, but never actually checked the VIN. Now we know. 

Edited by danco_

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

16 hours ago, danco_ said:

... 2763703 would be more realistic since 2764521 was the last 73 tii for the US market...

... I just checked the VIN on the hot m10 motor and it's also an m10 block with VIN: 2761247...

VIN 2761248 was manufactured on March 23, 1972. So VIN 2761247 probably came off the line that same day. I’d guess the block’s casting date is January to March 1972.

VIN 2763703 was likely manufactured in late March or very early April 1973. I’d guess the block’s casting date is January to March 1973.

Use them in good health!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 3/31/2020 at 2:15 PM, saaron said:

Should have done ram-air on the ti!

Scott

tii airfilter article 1.jpeg

tii air filter article 2.jpeg

Who’s this Schnitzer fellow? Must be in Lynx’s marketing department! ????

Best regards,

Steve

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

... 2763703 would be more realistic since 2764521 was the last 73 tii for the US market...

... I just checked the VIN on the hot m10 motor and it's also an m10 block with VIN: 2761247...

VIN 2761248 was manufactured on March 23, 1972. So VIN 2761247 probably came off the line that same day. I’d guess the block’s casting date is January to March 1972.

VIN 2763703 was likely manufactured in late March or very early April 1973. I’d guess the block’s casting date is January to March 1973.

Use them in good health!

Best regards,

Steve

Use them in good health!

Best regards,

Steve

Remember that scene in the Batman movie with Heath Ledger's joker where he talks about being a dog chasing a ball and how he wouldn't know what to do if he ever caught the ball? 

That is me with these cars. I don't have a goal. I just want "more" and "better" and I do things to them because I can. My logic doesn't have finality based on financial gain or social status. I just like working on cars and 2002s are simple enough that I can work on them. 

But if someone wanted this car and offered me money for it, I'd probably sell it. 

Hell, I'd sell my body for the right price. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

Stripped the air cleaner today with aircraft paint stripper (older formula).

Totally going to paint this tomorrow. 

E1794572-B84F-4F22-B7B1-5AFCF63FABCD.thumb.jpeg.63af2f8023a7eb0e2161d2fd936b79e1.jpeg

Semi-gloss, please! ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1