• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first addition/modification to your car?

Senna27

Bought her on the cheap with a blown head gasket more than 40 years ago.

Filled the radiator with water so I could drive her 12 miles to my house.

Not sure if the water counts...

Water counts but i'm not sure if it can be considered an upgrade or downgrade. 

I think the first modification my dad made to our car after buying it new was a pair of airplane-style lap belts instead of the "user-hostile" Klippans. Those were in the car for more than 30 years. 

The second mod was probably the set of 13x5 Opel Kadett steel wheels and 185/70 tires, but only after the factory XASes wore out. 

I think those were the only changes he made to the car in his combined 18 years or so of ownership. I'm beginning to appreciate his wisdom in that... 

-Dave

• Like 4

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I am pretty sure the first thing I ever did to the 1600 waaaay back in 1985 was to remove the silly bumper "extras".  They bolted to the top of the bumpers and extended across almost the entire thing.  They were rusty (like the rest of the car) but I hated them and removed them almost immediately.  Then replaced the clock with a tachometer. 

I watched Villeneuve's win at the Glen in '79, in the wet, it was truly amazing to watch how much faster he was than everyone else!  He was, and still is, my favorive!

• Like 2

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

After gluing multi-color (brown/beige/gold) shag carpet to the interior walls of the trunk of the Sahara '70 (in '80), I added the cheapest +1 wheel set-up available, silver E30 steel wheels from Euro-Tire in NJ.

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I took delivery of my '69 in May of that year in Queens, NY and drove it home to Rome NY.  First thing I did was to pull off that ugly rubber shift knob and replace it with one that I made out of cherry wood on a lathe.  It's still on the car, but has been re-varnished more than a few times!  At about the same time I installed a Delta Mk 10 Capacitive Discharge ignition box; it's also still on the car, and I'm only on my 3rd set of points after 226k miles!

The first thing I did when I bought my '73 in 1978 was to make another shift knob for it--this time out of a piece of Koa wood I brought back from Hawaii.  It's still on the car too.  And another Delta CD box was the second.

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

First? Removal of the aftermarket window tint. I don't like aftermarket window tint. I can't see through it at night for one thing and it looks bad in the daytime. Each used BMW that I have purchased, had to have the tint job removed.

• Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

First mod was to replace the bus-sized steering wheel with a Mark Donohue Racemark wooden wheel.  Cost a whopping $74.39 back in '76.  It's still looking fine, albeit some patina, after all these years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

76 2002 Chamonix

06 530i Monaco Blue

18 i3 BEV Protonic Blue

87 528e Royalblau (Retired)

I bought mine in May of 2014 from Austin and his mom in Merced, California. 

The engine was in the trunk....

The car was a repair shop that was milking them for over two years to "get the engine running". 

The first thing we did was to roll it off the flatbed in front of my house and clean it up and buff out half the paint - with the engine in the trunk.

86EDFD2F-4FE0-4738-A6B8-BD765DE9B2EE_1_105_c.jpeg

7E97C704-CB5E-4566-B9F3-B7ED63A259C6_1_105_c.jpeg

6D0D1032-EBE2-4BC1-B654-5ED56E4FB50E_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fastricky said:

1. Add A/C

2. Replace cracked dash

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Wait. What? Is this your car — gorgeous one-piece dash, Frigiking A/C, and Becker Grand Prix stereo — or your goal?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)