• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on these Strut Towers

Seth Horwitz

I don't know about hopping on a plane immediately. First, it's Christmas. There might be a good reason why the guy isn't jumping up and down to sell the car this weekend. But there's no excuse for him not communicating better....and I've never heard of somebody paying for photos. Has it come to this?

How is the seller to deal with on the phone? Forthcoming? Evasive? Monosyllabic? A lot be determined by a conversation. And tell me why again he won't take more pix for you?

I've bought and sold a few cars long distance. The buyer either wants to buy or he doesn't. The seller either wants to sell or he doesn't. A less than cooperative seller is going to be a problem one way or another. Same with buyers. My (and your) Spidey sense should be tingling. Go with your gut. Mine says he doesn't want to sell you the car.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1) Ad said "locals only" and had the really strange "deposit for PPI" wording that I'm going to figure out before doing anything. Also, something along the lines of "serious buyers with serious questions, only." Last part seemed fair. 

2) I replied with serious questions, but made it clear that I'm in NY but would travel AND deal with transport, so it wasn't his problem. I'd rather not, but I have some time to kill. 

3) Got a reply that answered no questions, and basically said "I want to sell local. Bye." No answers. Not much I can do with that, so I tried. 

4) I replied that, however crazy, I'll pay him for better pics of the car because I'm not local. 

5) He sent me an email with his PayPal address, (and did offer to apply it to the purchase price) still with no answers to a question like "does the car have AC," but with a note that he has no lift and can't promise great shots. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Lovely.

I'm about to send an email to get some clarity. This PPI deposit thing could be a nonstarter, so I'll start there. If it's reasonable, I'll send a list of all of the photos that I want. If he's cool with that, I'll pay it. (As crazy as that is.) I worked at a car dealer in high school, way back when, and some people are just a hassle to deal with, as buyers or sellers. (I just washed the cars, and even I had to deal with it.) If I were selling an inexpensive car, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the scrutiny of Bring-a-Trailer (as that can be a full time job on top of your job), but I'd take as many pictures as were needed on a 40+ year old car to sell it. I also get that an online sale to someone across country can feel like wasted time if you don't know that they're serious, but I'm also not asking for anything that wouldn't make a local sale easier. Sometimes someone has something to hide, and other people just don't want any hassle when dealing with anything. (I'm thinking of my dad. My dad wouldn't sell a car at retail, though. He'd rather take a bath at the dealer for the convenience of handing over keys and being done with it. Everyone is different.) Long story, short, I get a bad feeling about this whole thing, but sometimes good things can come from garbage. It's never happened to me, but that's what I've been told. 

If the PPI deposit is some sort of escrow pending no safety issues or an engine/tranny about to blow, and my payment for the service, I want pics of the following first:

Sills

Door bottoms

Shock towers (front and back)

1/4 panels

Around wheel openings

Inner wheel wells

Front pan lower

Around gas tank in trunk and underneath 

Spare tire well in trunk and underneath 

Rear sub-frame mount

Frame rails

Floor pans from below (I wouldn't take off carpet for someone, and wouldn't ask someone to.)

I'd pay for those pics, again acknowledging how insane that is, and then a PPI at Midnight Motorsports, as recommended by Andrew. Maybe we'll get something new for the forum. (Though I'm not taking bets.)

43 minutes ago, Seth Horwitz said:

1) Ad said "locals only" and had the really strange "deposit for PPI" wording that I'm going to figure out before doing anything. Also, something along the lines of "serious buyers with serious questions, only." Last part seemed fair. 

2) I replied with serious questions, but made it clear that I'm in NY but would travel AND deal with transport, so it wasn't his problem. I'd rather not, but I have some time to kill. 

3) Got a reply that answered no questions, and basically said "I want to sell local. Bye." No answers. Not much I can do with that, so I tried. 

4) I replied that, however crazy, I'll pay him for better pics of the car because I'm not local. 

5) He sent me an email with his PayPal address, (and did offer to apply it to the purchase price) still with no answers to a question like "does the car have AC," but with a note that he has no lift and can't promise great shots. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Lovely.

I'm about to send an email to get some clarity. This PPI deposit thing could be a nonstarter, so I'll start there. If it's reasonable, I'll send a list of all of the photos that I want. If he's cool with that, I'll pay it. (As crazy as that is.) I worked at a car dealer in high school, way back when, and some people are just a hassle to deal with, as buyers or sellers. (I just washed the cars, and even I had to deal with it.) If I were selling an inexpensive car, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the scrutiny of Bring-a-Trailer (as that can be a full time job on top of your job), but I'd take as many pictures as were needed on a 40+ year old car to sell it. I also get that an online sale to someone across country can feel like wasted time if you don't know that they're serious, but I'm also not asking for anything that wouldn't make a local sale easier. Sometimes someone has something to hide, and other people just don't want any hassle when dealing with anything. (I'm thinking of my dad. My dad wouldn't sell a car at retail, though. He'd rather take a bath at the dealer for the convenience of handing over keys and being done with it. Everyone is different.) Long story, short, I get a bad feeling about this whole thing, but sometimes good things can come from garbage. It's never happened to me, but that's what I've been told. 

If the PPI deposit is some sort of escrow pending no safety issues or an engine/tranny about to blow, and my payment for the service, I want pics of the following first:

Sills

Door bottoms

Shock towers (front and back)

1/4 panels

Around wheel openings

Inner wheel wells

Front pan lower

Around gas tank in trunk and underneath 

Spare tire well in trunk and underneath 

Rear sub-frame mount

Frame rails

Floor pans from below (I wouldn't take off carpet for someone, and wouldn't ask someone to.)

I'd pay for those pics, again acknowledging how insane that is, and then a PPI at Midnight Motorsports, as recommended by Andrew. Maybe we'll get something new for the forum. (Though I'm not taking bets.)

Seth,

Why would you want to deal with this seller? This is not the only automatic 2002 in the States. You will be happier in the long run taking more time and finding a car that doesn’t require you to bend over in order to purchase it!

You’re buying a car that is 42 or more years old. If the price is really really cheap and you’re happy to risk a loss, that’s one thing. But I don’t get the impression that either of these pertains to you.

That is my honest (grumpy old guy) opinion!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Seth,

Why would you want to deal with this seller? This is not the only automatic 2002 in the States. You will be happier in the long run taking more time and finding a car that doesn’t require you to bend over in order to purchase it!

You’re buying a car that is 42 or more years old. If the price is really really cheap and you’re happy to risk a loss, that’s one thing. But I don’t get the impression that either of these pertains to you.

That is my honest (grumpy old guy) opinion!

Regards,

Steve

I'm with you, but these Autos are getting harder to find. To be honest, I'd even prefer a sunroof car. Everybody did a swap from Auto to Manual. You're very right in that I have almost no tolerance for nonsense like this in everyday life, and have had to wait an hour after each email draft (and then make it much nicer) before sending it.  I plan on losing money when I'm done with my project, as I want to make it MY way and know that unless I find the right buyer (never happens) I'd get hurt selling it. My way has also never been done, as I've seen one person upgrade the auto to a 4-speed Auto, and that's it. (4-Speed with an M20 and air conditioning? I'm making zero progress in finding the smallest details that may even let me attempt it.) Therefore, the current plan is to keep it forever. I want to buy the cleanest car that I can to start with, but there's also a balancing act between what you spend for the car and then the "upgrades." Rust free automatic (for the shifter and tunnel differences) that drives is my goal for the moment. So, the further I shall trudge. 

In the seller's defense, I can see why he only wants to sell locally.  Less risk of a scam, less time involved, and just plain easier.

I've put cars for sale on CL before, you get bombarded with emails/texts from scammers and some of them sound legit, so that could be the reason why he's short/non-communicative.

If you have his #, call him, offer him a $50 deposit for better shots of the rockers/trunk area/rear strut towers, with the condition that deposit is to be refunded if they're rusty.  If he flakes out, then you're only out $50 as opposed to a plane ticket.

However, based on your other posts, if you're doing an engine swap anyways, then buy the best car you can, stick or auto, it won't be staying in the car.

• Like 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

25 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

In the seller's defense, I can see why he only wants to sell locally.  Less risk of a scam, less time involved, and just plain easier.

I've put cars for sale on CL before, you get bombarded with emails/texts from scammers and some of them sound legit, so that could be the reason why he's short/non-communicative.

If you have his #, call him, offer him a $50 deposit for better shots of the rockers/trunk area/rear strut towers, with the condition that deposit is to be refunded if they're rusty.  If he flakes out, then you're only out $50 as opposed to a plane ticket.

However, based on your other posts, if you're doing an engine swap anyways, then buy the best car you can, stick or auto, it won't be staying in the car.

We're in full agreement. (I wouldn't even list on Craigslist, to be honest with you. WAY too many scams and people wasting time.) That said, I've done about all that I can do to prove that I'm a serious buyer. Cash for pictures? Obscene, but fine I'll do it. No problem. Picture of my cash fanned out with my driver's license? Sure, I'll do that too. I'm just waiting on a confirmation of what he means by "deposit before PPI." I made it clear that I'm willing to even write out a contract on what would be considered a pass or a fail on a PPI (that I'd pay for). I'm not looking to nickel and dime anyone, but if the car isn't safe without a $5K repair or shows $10K in rust remediation (ignoring paint) needed, making a deposit, however much, non-refundable is just insane. Agreed on the $50. Oddly, he seems more interested in the $50 or non-refundable PPI than selling the car. Could just be an oddity, or it could be a picture of someone else's car he doesn't even own. 

I would call the guy.  Some people are not emailers (believe it or not).  I recently bought a car 500 miles away from me - the guy’s only access to email was through work, and even then, “my boss kind of has to help me with it.”  

Once I talked to him, we both could see that there was potential for me to own the car, even though I posed a lot of risk - from his perspective.   And he only really looked at it from his risk perspective, not mine.  He was concerned that I would leave town with his car, and give him a bad check.  He’d have no car, title, or money.  That’s how he looked at it.  He wanted cash and cash only.  

Calling is the move if you want it.  If you really want something rust free go out to Cali...there are a lot of them around.  

Good luck on your quest.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I sell on craigslist locally and really only deal with local buyers. Craigslist is a total hassle for the non-locals. I've had so many people waste my time on "yeah, I'll be there," that I really dont even entertain it anymore. So I understand where he's coming from. 

If you're serious, get a hold of Patrick, ask about a PPI, and have the seller take the car to Patricks. Successful PPI? Book a plane ticket and go get your car. That's my thoughts on it. 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Theres an eBay one in Maryland that looks pretty nice. I live in Ct and would probably drive there if I was seriously looking. I bought a Cali one and had it shipped three years ago. The seller was very engaged though. Turned out good. This seller doesn't strike me as accommodating and as nice as the car might be this person doesn't inspire confidence. I admire your persistence. I'd have passed by now. Maybe I'll see it if there's another meet at Rick's in Queens.

If the seller is from Seattle and not a 02 guy he probably doesn't get the the whole obsession with rust, cars that have stayed in Washington really have very little rust, the state has only been salting the roads (the few times it snows, in Seattle maybe once a year) for the last 10 years and it's always followed by several months of fresh water rinsing before the rains stop. That being said and being a 02 guy you always look for rust in a 02 but maybe he doesn't get it.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

56 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

If the seller is from Seattle and not a 02 guy he probably doesn't get the the whole obsession with rust, cars that have stayed in Washington really have very little rust, the state has only been salting the roads (the few times it snows, in Seattle maybe once a year) for the last 10 years and it's always followed by several months of fresh water rinsing before the rains stop. That being said and being a 02 guy you always look for rust in a 02 but maybe he doesn't get it.

"In Washington" may be a little broad. Cars that live their lives near the coast or on the islands rust quite well. 

2 hours ago, dirving said:

Theres an eBay one in Maryland that looks pretty nice. I live in Ct and would probably drive there if I was seriously looking. I bought a Cali one and had it shipped three years ago. The seller was very engaged though. Turned out good. This seller doesn't strike me as accommodating and as nice as the car might be this person doesn't inspire confidence. I admire your persistence. I'd have passed by now. Maybe I'll see it if there's another meet at Rick's in Queens.

That looks like a roller mid restoration (always a scary term) that has had a bit of customization and fresh paint that can hide a lot. (Or be perfectly addressed. Who knows?) It also looks like they're trying to get all of that money back out of it. 1) Possibiy super hidden rust + 2) An expensive brand new paint job in what wouldn't be my first color choice + 3) Some permanently removed trim and other that's just missing + 4) What can only be assumed to be an empty interior = Pass for me. There was a red one (auto/roof/AC) on eBay in Cali a few weeks ago that was cheap enough that it was gone in a day. I should've just bought it and had it put on a truck, with no PPI, and rolled the dice. So be it. I'll find one from somewhere, and hope to get it ready if you guys meet up again.