• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the uptick in 02 values affecting how much you drive your '02?

Mike Self

Not the 02... it's insured for agreed value of slightly less than what I have in it...but enough it would not be totaled easily.

I have a very original 1972 911 which went from being worth 25K to being worth several times that... That TOTALLY aftects how much I drive it and where, and where it's parked... The recent uptick has totally ruined the hobby for me, in general, but the 02 is the exception: my bimmer is a car I love just for that opposite reason, it's still reasonably affordable and honestly just as fun to drive, and I don't have to think too hard where I leave it because the trim protects from door dings, and most thieves can't drive stick anymore ;-) 

Edited by deschodt
  • Like 2

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

A friends 02 was totaled in Atlanta 2wks ago today, with the values going up he is finding it difficult to find a replacement car for the agreed insurance value. I called Hagerty and upped my value right after but I may up it again. I drive mine about 4k a year and won't stop but if mine was totaled I might have to look for an alternative ride. I did add the buy back addition to my policy so I can get my parts back for another project.

I only have 2 cars for myself - an 02 and an E30. No choice but to drive them and that is by design. They are not for sale and the value is only my own....  I think if I bought one of these 50k tii's that are coming up for sale I may re-think that but as mentioned above the 02's have been relatively plentiful and are better used on the road. I would love another classic car but for 50k I would probably look at other types of cars to fill that urge. 

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Well, mine aren't roadworthy right now so it doesn't matter, but the things that I do think about are WHERE I'm going since they don't lock very good, and the weather.  The one thing that has changed is in the case of my coupe, I have Alpina wheels on it that have gone WAY up in value and I don't want to damage them.  Hard to replace, insurance might be difficult to deal with when that kind of stuff happens...

I happily drive my 73 tii and 74 Turbo around town and on vintage events. They are worth more now than a year ago but are certainly not out of the normal new car price range. Insure with Hagerty and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

13 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Dusted off the tii today.  Some goofball driver in a Dodge Durango towing a crusty boat pulled out right in front of me. What idiots.

Source some air horns....

:-/

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

OK, i'm gonna somewhat try to articulate this: 

I built a car up over 11 years and made it super nice. Spent about $30K on it over that period. In all that time I drove it maybe 5K miles and spent hundreds of hours sorting it and redoing things to make it near perfect. It was almost too nice to drive around and leave unattended. Turned out I sold it cause I was not really enjoying the ownership out of concern for it's condition. 

Then I bought this car for $800 and spent a little time fixing things. Now I drive it like I stole it and am having way more fun at fractions of time and money. And I leave it outside in the rain if i want to. 

but what do I know. 

IMG_5105.JPG

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 6

But what do I know

It's been soggy here for the last month.  Raining everyday.  Sometimes torrential.   Fall leaves have been plugging the sewer drains and are now just mulch awaiting the street-sweepers. The good news is the heavy rains washed away all the calcium chloride and rock salt on the roads and in parking lots.  All next week the forecast is for sun and non-frozen temperatures.

I'm re-connecting my battery and the orange car's back on the road!  Yay!  Mulch-avoiding of course. 

The car is not a garage queen, but maybe a bit of a princess.  Always has been. Always will be, no matter the value.

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I used my Inca car almost everyday but now that winter is coming I will revert to my Ford pickup.  Also have my second Estoril car which is restored and I am a little more careful about when and where I go with that one.  There are too many bonehead drivers around here that will total your car while they're texting their friends.  I am really only weather limited with either car.  I am not going to let these two rust into the ground like a couple of other 02's I had when I drove them year round back in the day.  I wouldn't drive any car I cared about all winter around here.  If I was in a sunny climate I would definitely use the cars all year long.

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I only want an '02 to drive it, looking at it is not much fun for me. The rise in tii values have also come with rising parts' prices, and availability is getting harder. A resto of my non-running tii is looking like crazy money, and I'm old enough now that I want to get back to driving it before I can't. These circumstances are making plan b much more attractive: get it running and just drive it. Body-wise, it could use some touching up and it will look pretty good. The drive train will need some going through. I'd enjoy it more with a freshened interior, too. I did receive my injection pump back from Fairchild's a couple years ago, next step will be to pull the transmission and engine block (the head is already off), and clean, clean, clean. I may be mildly intimidated by the accumulation of crud, just have to do it.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now