• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the uptick in 02 values affecting how much you drive your '02?

Mike Self

Hell no. 

Bought and built it to drive hard and fast.   Never gonna sell it,  so don't care what it is worth.  

Actually,  I do care.   The speculators and collectors are driving the prices of parts up.   Everyone thinks they are sitting on gold mines. Grrrr.  Same thing happened to E30 M3s.  Designed,  built for and should be run on a track until they die.... but now they are all turning into garage queens to protect monetary value.  False economy... the real value is in the driving. 

• Like 5

2xM3

I don’t and won’t ever care what someone else who desires an 02 would be willing to pay for one, or mine (when I’m DEAD, which is the only way mine’ll ever be gone).

I DO like that others have come to appreciate our little saloons.  But It has ZERO relevancy to how I enjoy and will continue to enjoy my car.

And it saddens me to see “investment assholes” trying to make moves at our cars, throwing stupid money at cars to “make markets”,  and even inducing some to not drive their cars to “preserve value”.  Or folks that just now “build em to flip em”. 

IMNSHO, if your key motive is to make money from your 02 “investment” you’re not a real 02er — end stop.  SO sell it already - and stop asking us what they’re worth, showing off what the latest $$$ resto or stants-cars cost, or posting for opinions on almost everything on BAT nowadays.... ungh.

Do we have something others now seem to desire more than before? Yessir -  but SO WHAT.... Enjoy your 02.

Tom

ps:  2002 - For driving, not investing...

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

yeah DRIVE!!! So what if my car was appraised at xx$. I figure I can fix whatever if sh*t happens. DRIVE!! That's why I bought it.

Imagine staring at a beautiful 02' instead of driving it. That's like a strip club scenario...looky' no touchy!!

Parking is another thing. I let all the lazy people fight for the close spots. I'm parked out with the employees cars. I never park next to another car too...ever..ever ever.. I never give someone a chance to ding the lovely ANNA

Edited by iinca

not at all. In fact, with values going up, I want to drive it more. Driving your car is good for it. you stay on top of maintenance and pick up on problems. Worse thing for a car is to let it sit. Mine is stored in the garage and I don't dive it in wet weather. 

Edited by joebarthlow
  • Like 1

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

My car will never be a collectible '02, so I don't give it much thought. I bought it to use, enjoy, and personalize in the ways I could only dream about when I had my first 2002 in Highschool. If $15-20k is accurate, that's still far less than I've paid for the last 1/2 dozen or so late model cars I've owned.

One positive benefit of the recent attention is we seem to have some new blood bringing interesting new parts to market. Koogle, for example. Also, Ireland seems to be interested in developing new parts again. Nothing groundbreaking yet, but I keep seeing new small items pop up. Maybe BMW Classic (or whatever they're called) will restart production on some of the long NLA parts that are getting scarce as good used. Steering worm gears maybe? Dashboards? 

Yeah, reasonably priced used parts are much harder to find all of a sudden...

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Nope. I'll drive it and park it as I see fit. 

That being said, I do keep a close eye on market value and cars for sale. If only to update my insurance agreed value number, which I've had to do for the past 3 years. And to find deals for the people I've met through ownership that have come to want one. 

I think the replies support the sentiment that for a majority of us on this site, we're in it for the driving/maintenance/community experience, not the financial one. Your article looks like it'll end up being one sided if you're only asking us.

James

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

the real value is in the driving. 

That's the heart of it! I've actually been deeply saddened by the fact that I've upped my stated value insurance policy by about $10k over the last 4 years.  As others have said since I never intend to sell the car, the monetary value is all but meaningless, and on the other side of the coin it has meant that parts and other 2002s have also been getting expensive.  Perhaps it was inevitable as they got older, but now I'm thinking I need to go ahead and buy a second one before they get too scarce to find affordably!!! :D Truth be told, I AM driving Asterix less these days, but that's because I'm saddled with a toddler and infant for the daily daycare run which, any way you slice it, the E39 is better for.  But hey, next project, rear 3-point seat belts so that as soon as the kids are forward-facing, back to getting Asterix out at least twice a week!

Thinking about it more - I’d love to come up with a way to de-value these cars from the eyes of the “commercers”.  Like a big “go away” sign.  But, sadly, it all fights itself...

We’d obviously have to stop letting folks see or want one, or hear that they might be nice to have.  Go totally underground with 02 appreciation. We’d meet only in remote secluded locations with no publicity.  Secret handshakes required for parts or car exchange.  No more fun ‘2002sday’ net posts and such that make 02s still relevant and so “Liked” today.  Kick in the FUD and fake-news.  “A 2002 - why’d you want one of THOSE?”

We’d need the Anti-FAQ — someplace central and online to show the possibly-interested others that there’s nothing to see here..  No enthusiasm, no parts availability (OEM or aftermarket), no great looking cars, no great owners, no handling or superlative driver-engagement, no race cars or racing, no ‘cool’ factor, no fun.  We’d all need to use “uglify” filters on our car pics. Erase the full & rich history of this Bavarian wonder.  Think AMC Pacers R Us...

But even BMW is against us in such a venture.  What cars are their most-used/seen nowadays when they’re out showing off?  Their 70s/80s cars - CSLs, M1s, real M3s, 2002s...  they’re driving even the slightly motor-minded to desire a ‘classic’. 

But one can dream... :D

Edited by visionaut
font size randomness
  • Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

the fact that the value of this is increasing is fine with me. I'll feel better about spending $10K on a paint job and still not be under water. I don't know about you, but I really don't like dropping lots of cash into a black hole with nothing to show for it. So what if others want one and are willing to pay crazy money for one. I like the branding and racing pedigree the 2002. Sure they're cars to be used but they just happen to be somewhat "affordable" European sports cars that are fun to drive with parts available. Looked at vintage Porsche, Alfa Romeo or even classic Fiat markets lately? Or classic British marques? American muscle car market? If you don't like the attention, go buy a toyota tercel.

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Definitely not.

original-vintage-bmw-1.thumb.jpg.b833ae58f5889c1b6fe082489b31bd6c.jpg

Can't when tucked.

Just today I had to drive to mom's house to hide the items for her advent calendar. It was raining a lot, but I had no choice. Except the truck, I simply don't have a daily driver and I had to finish the calendar before 12-1 and, of course, when she's not at home.

I don't regret but enjoyed this drive.

hen

BTW, mom's car:

P1010963.thumb.JPG.72545a3195bef6b89fd22c2e185e4682.JPG

• Like 2

The recent value hike is very negligible. Specially for square tail cars (don't ask me why but I like square tails better). The 2002s were designed to be driven and driven hard everyday. What a joy a good tuned, suspension bushings all replaced 2002 feels to drive!!! The joy is all in that driving experience of that geometry and the sweet design of the simplistic but adorable lines (not intimidating nor aggressive). I could care less how the paint job is or how much rust it has so long, the M10 is healthy and the suspension is tight! Drive, drive and enjoy.

Yes, that's why I won't let Dale, Danny, Karl or Ray drive it. They're getting too old and slow. Now Marshall, he has no interest in driving. C.D once said, if all my parts were from the junque yard, my car is junque. I agree! The tii in boxes, well that's another story