• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Good job clean parts and red loc tight will work well especially after they backed out once that wrecks the clearance of the threaded hole., another trick is to use slightly longer Allen bolts  and nyloc 1/2 nuts on the back of the flange

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

16 minutes ago, VWJake said:

I broke some stuff today

’73 Chamonix

About an 1” of side to side play has me concerned. I couldn’t feel anything so I jumped in and headed out of the lot aggressively.  

The toyo proxies broke loose in first and I snagged 2nd gear. The rear end started to hunker down and then wang-o! The revs shot up and car wasn’t accelerating anymore. I tried a few different gears and no changes… immediate revs, but no meaningful propulsion. 

Ah yes, the floor it flow chart. I’ve used it often, no sense in waiting for something to break slowly and quietly of its own regard. 

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Ah yes, the floor it flow chart. I’ve used it often, no sense in waiting for something to break slowly and quietly of its own regard. 

I was thankful that it failed in town and not on the highway on my way to the third errand

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VWJake said:

I was thankful that it failed in town and not on the highway on my way to the third errand

Yeah I had the same thing happen, like you, running errands maybe 2 miles from home in a parking lot, I managed to back track and find 3 good bolts I installed hand tight and gently made my way home, now my kit carries 6 Allen bolts and the Allen key. I thought that my 75% Lsd would of got me home but it needs the drag of the free wheel to provide the counter force to lock it. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

49 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Good job clean parts and red loc tight will work well especially after they backed out once that wrecks the clearance of the threaded hole., another trick is to use slightly longer Allen bolts  and nyloc 1/2 nuts on the back of the flange

+1 ^ (though, I use 65 mm (from memory) bolts and metal lock (stover) nuts for additional security). -KB

• Thanks 1

red locktite, long bolts and nylocks are good overkill safety measures.  in reality though, clean threads, blue locktite, stock length 6mm bolts and proper TQ work perfectly fine.   or at least they do holding the axles together behind an S14 with a race clutch in prolonged hard track use.

if threads have been munged up from the joint coming apart under load, i wouldn't use any of the threaded bits again.  bolt or flange. time for new.

2xM3

19 hours ago, VWJake said:

I broke some stuff today

’73 Chamonix

I’d put about 30miles on the car so I decided to run some errands for the shop in the car. Several rattles had held my attention but none had seemed too severe so I drove the car to town. First stop was o

uneventful. 2nd stop I slipped under the car to feel around at the shift linkage. About an 1” of side to side play has me concerned. I couldn’t feel anything so I jumped in and headed out of the lot aggressively.  

The toyo proxies broke loose in first and I snagged 2nd gear. The rear end started to hunker down and then wang-o! The revs shot up and car wasn’t accelerating anymore. I tried a few different gears and no changes… immediate revs, but no meaningful propulsion. 

Turns out the right outer CV decided to part company with the stub axle. 

I pulled over into a neighborhood to assess the situation. After I found the loose axle a Good Samaritan came to see what the trouble was. Turns out Sean was a semi-retired dirt track racer. He was all too happy to rifle through is truck to find me a 6mm Allen wrench so I could get 3 bolts reinstalled and tightened. I limped the car home, chase the threads and installed different bolts with red loctite. 

I drove another 50+ miles after that with no futher incident. 

Gulp. I just replaced my diff about 100 miles ago. Better climb under and double check those bolts!!

• Like 1