• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:
14 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Did you bypass the resistor wire that went to the original coil?

(It has a clear jacket and looks like a yellowed strand of speaker wire).

nope.  I just matched the wires to their positions on the Bosch that was there. Not sure if it was original or not.  Seems to run happily enough.  What’s it do?  Thanks!

The square tail light cars have a resistor wire feeding the coil.  It replaced the external ceramic coil on the earlier roundier cars.  The wire looks like a speaker wire, with a clear jacket that's usually yellowed with age.  The wire is spliced into the loom at the firewall, just behind the distributor.  If you are using a blue coil, you do not want to add the resistor wire to it, because it already has 3 ohms of resistance built in.  You can dig out that splice and take full 12V from there and run another wire to the coil, to bypass the resistor wire.  I'd leave the resistor wire in place though, in case you ever want to run a black coil.  Assuming the resistor wire is still good.  I'd also save the old coil you removed.  Especially if it says GERMANY on it.

These photos are from when I installed a Pertronix (temporarily) and show the splice where the resistor wire is crimped in.  It is hiding under the cloth tape.

I simply stripped a little wire above that splice, to add another and get full 12V to the red wire for the Pertronix.

You could splice in a wire at that point and run it to your new blue coil, bypassing the resistor wire.

048.jpg

054.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

The square tail light cars have a resistor wire feeding the coil.

I largely didn’t understand the response. Lack of knowledge on my part though.  The response was awesome.  Thank you.  I conferred with my 02 mentor @rocketman via text and this was his reply:

”He is correct. However, I found problems with that very wire being overheated, last Sunday morning, as I was preparing to depart. Because the points were previously replaced with the electronic switch(Pertronix), there was no  need for the resistor wire, so I replaced it.”  & “Hence I I didn't tell you  to do this task, and in fact it's  why I knew you could simply bolt this coil in place!”

thanks for the guidance, if it hadn’t already been done I’m sure I would have been flummoxed when just rewiring it as it was didn’t work.  ?

Edited by Fletcher
Typo

Needed a mental break so I welded up some brackets and did a mock up install.

This is at its lowest position, I'll lift it up a bit and tighten the nuts.

I want to get the fitment so that I can utilize (and slightly cover) the existing side fender holes. Technically it matches the rear '73 bumper now.

Not sure I'm sold on it yet. I'll stare at it for a while and see if it grows on me before painting it wrinkle black to match the rear.

20200913_140100.jpg

20200913_140144.jpg

Edited by theNomad
  • Like 4

Today I had the inspector out to have a look at Zouave, just to make sure he’s rodent-free.  He passed, but maybe with a little antenna damage.

B5AA8675-09E4-40AE-9B19-528B264C7AB6.jpeg

09D7F525-75E5-4B81-B853-ED9929EF52F5.jpeg

02B2681B-2F20-4A0A-8D6E-E3650A3A3F56.jpeg

6A1CDE05-9EA1-4A25-8FA5-7EA8CAB663BF.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

16 minutes ago, BarneyT said:

First day back after 12 days away in Florida, took my favorite car on my favorite road for a 60 mile hill country drive...

EEE16EA4-A2B6-4163-8A91-1B737473683D.jpeg

08A4BDF6-123D-431D-991B-F8351B6A2BD6.jpeg

29834884-D181-42AF-94D5-3ADEEC035A42.jpeg

AB0C810C-5094-47D2-9551-C736C83F2442.jpeg

Was that Panhandle or SW FL, Barney?  Love the Hill Country backdrop.  The Blanco near Wimberly?

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Nothing, again.

Another day of thick smoke here has me holed up in my home with all available HEPA filters running.

Hundreds and hundreds of homes gone, countless lives impacted and now it's reported that the Almeda fire is being investigated as arson with a suspect in custody.

A convicted tweaker.

I suggest they double security at the jail, people are scared and angry.

Edited by tech71
  • Sad 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

More fun in alphabet land. Just a few weeks ago I rebuilt my FueLab FPR.

Today I recalibrated my wideband 02 sensor and AFR gauge.

It is a simple procedure outlined in the Innovate manual. The gauge now shows slightly leaner overall readings and (by the butt dyno) the car runs slightly more smoothly.

Got a big track event coming up in a few weeks and I think we'll be ready.

Finally all dialed in, rebuilt the DCOE’s reworked the linkage, installed new starter and added wide band O2 sensor. Using a manometer and a O2 sensor makes dialing in a breeze. The car has never run better. Now to resist playing with the jetting!

thanks bmw2002faq for all of the info from the searches.

jay

5D169D35-37B6-4764-854F-3C273DC3DB9E.jpeg

EE057222-80FB-41C2-A47A-BDD783171B08.jpeg

D13A70F1-33D6-49FE-923F-326C85E06A0B.jpeg

• Like 9