• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Having read a post recently about 123 distributors being “off” their readouts and suspecting Zouave’s timing is more advanced than the 123 readout, we put the timing light on Zouave.  Yah, turns out Zouave was 5 degrees advanced from the 123 dashboard readout.  Everything’s a little calmer now under the hood.  Idle AFRs are easier to set (cold AFRs still scary rich) and I was able to lean out my midrange mixture a little more without scary lean readings under load.  Call me a slow learner, but check your 123 readings with a good timing light.

Just for fun, also put the Heathkit (a new Stevenola garage sale purchase — he is a diehard analog geek) on Zouave.  Very even spark pattern across the cylinders except 2, which shows a slightly less robust spark, and I think always has.  I recall when I first pulled the plugs on Zouave it was the whitest plug, and it still is. This suggests that it’s not getting as much fuel as the other cylinders, which (since I had the injectors reconditioned by our late friend Winterton and installed new lines) that the problem is in the KF delivery valve?

Anyway, tell me you don’t wish you had this image of your 4 and 2 cylinders:

• Like 3

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 5/29/2023 at 4:53 PM, 0257 said:

Having read a post recently about 123 distributors being “off” their readouts and suspecting Zouave’s timing is more advanced than the 123 readout, we put the timing light on Zouave.  Yah, turns out Zouave was 5 degrees advanced from the 123 dashboard readout.  Everything’s a little calmer now under the hood.  Idle AFRs are easier to set (cold AFRs still scary rich) and I was able to lean out my midrange mixture a little more without scary lean readings under load.  Call me a slow learner, but check your 123 readings with a good timing light.

Just for fun, also put the Heathkit (a new Stevenola garage sale purchase — he is a diehard analog geek) on Zouave.  Very even spark pattern across the cylinders except 2, which shows a slightly less robust spark, and I think always has.  I recall when I first pulled the plugs on Zouave it was the whitest plug, and it still is. This suggests that it’s not getting as much fuel as the other cylinders, which (since I had the injectors reconditioned by our late friend Winterton and installed new lines) that the problem is in the KF delivery valve?

Anyway, tell me you don’t wish you had this image of your 4 and 2 cylinders:

IMG_4488.mov 64.32 MB · 9 downloads  

This is cool. I was familiar with Heathkit audio stuff but didn't know about these. Google says some were vacuum tube based. Which model do you have? Pretty cool explanation of it here: 

11 minutes ago, popovm said:

This is cool. I was familiar with Heathkit audio stuff but didn't know about these. Google says some were vacuum tube based. Which model do you have? Pretty cool explanation of it here: 

Tubes rule!   Focused on cylinders 4 and 2 in the vid bc #2 spark form is a little wifty.  1 and 3 look just like 4.  Still learning to read it, but it clearly thinks that “one of these things (#2) is not like the others.”🎼.

Edited by 0257
  • Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 5/27/2023 at 12:46 PM, lewisfoto said:

So Cal Vintage BMW meet and cruise to 2002AD Saturday morning. We had 23 cars meet in Brea for drive through Carbon Canyon and Chino Hills. And donuts at 2002AD in Pomona.

So Cal Vintage BMW meet 1.jpg

So Cal Vintage BMW meet 2.jpg

So Cal Vintage BMW meet 3.jpg

Hey Lewisfoto,

I realize it is late and a "school night" :) , but what So Cal gathering are you referring to? I was wondering if it was posted somewhere? My '76 is not up and running, but I wouldn't have minded joining the gathering.

Thanks

Philip

Edited by bublinki
spelled lewisfoto as lewisphoto
  • Like 1

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Started the refurb on Franzi's pedal box, had some rust, pitting and holes after its Evaporust bath so I fashioned a doubler. 

Actally doing two pedal box refurbs simultaneously.

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4290.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 5

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Had a good friend come over yesterday who helped remove this:

IMG_7059.thumb.jpeg.42845cd9465789b263750c06abee592e.jpeg

and install these:

IMG_7060.thumb.jpeg.18db668b6dadcdd863e63f7cc4510429.jpeg

Not pictured, but also managed to install pass side outer rocker and mostly fit the pass side dogleg panel.  

I’d been leaving the floors for last so this feels like the home stretch now!  Really nice to look in there and see solid metal everywhere.  I probably lost 30 minutes of productivity just looking at it haha. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1